Author Topic: 95%  (Read 1567 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
95%
« on: September 15, 2008, 12:17:06 AM »
Senator Obama told Bill O,Riley that he is going to give 95% of the American people a tax cut.

Does this include the nearly 40% who pay no Federal Income tax?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: 95%
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 12:21:22 AM »

Perhaps it means 95% of those who pay taxes. Perhaps it means more poor people would get a larger Earned Income Credit.

I question this 40% figure. It sounds like a Limbaugh statistic, as in phony.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 12:26:18 AM »

Perhaps it means 95% of those who pay taxes. Perhaps it means more poor people would get a larger Earned Income Credit.

I question this 40% figure. It sounds like a Limbaugh statistic, as in phony.

Why shjould you doubt me?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 12:39:19 AM »

==================================
I don't doubt you believe it.

I just doubt that it is true.

Much of what you know isn't true.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2008, 12:49:49 AM »

==================================
I don't doubt you believe it.

I just doubt that it is true.

Much of what you know isn't true.

I assert it , you disbeleive it , are we both too lazy to seek the sorce?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008, 12:55:27 AM »
The burden of proof is on the person making the statement, is it not?

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008, 01:03:40 AM »
he burden of proof is on the person making the statement, is it not?

You might want to ask Mikey about that.

He seems to think the burden is on the accused or the challenger. Maybe its a Canadian thing.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 01:16:36 AM »
The right wing has a lot of statements about taxes, and they hardly could all be true.

They also maintain that Americans pay over 45% of their incomes in one sort of tax or another.

I paid 19% at most, and I have a middle class job with an income slightly above the average. So I doubt their schpiels and consider them to be hype.

They will admit that Germans and Swedes pay more, but then again, Americans get few of the benefits that Germans and Swedes do, such as health care, education through university and decent housing for everyone.

After housing, insurance, automobiles (a necessity in most of the US, certainly not in most of Germany or Sweden) and education, Americans have less left over. And only a miserly two weeks' vacation, to the Europeans four weeks.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2008, 01:24:49 AM »
The lower 50% of earners are presently paying less than 5% of the tax load (not counting Social Security).

Since this sector is also progressively taxed I guess that the top part is paying most of that.

I don't count Social security taxation because I don't expect BHO to count it and give rebates or refunds on it.

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Underground_economy

The size of the completely untaxed economy would have to be a guess , but I would guess a high number myself.

http://dealbook.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/08/13/study-tallies-corporations-not-paying-income-tax/

The Corporate world does not always pay , sometimes they are subsidised and sometimes they benefit from tax reliefs written to stimulate an industry.

http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc901.html
Puerto Ricans get a break.

http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_blog/2008/02/irs-explains-ho.html

IRS Explains How People Who Do Not Pay Income Tax Can Get Economic Stimulus Payments

http://taxesandgrowth.ncpa.org/news/do-the-rich-and-businesses-pay-their-fair-share

The Bush effect

Our tax system, however, is highly progressive, meaning that as one's income rises, a higher proportion of that income is taxed. Thus, those in the highest tax brackets contribute more to the overall tax burden even though there are far more people in lower tax brackets.

According to data from the IRS, the bottom 50 percent of income earners pay approximately 4 percent of income taxes.

Overall, the poor paid about half as much of the federal tax burden in 2001 as they did in 1984, while the rich paid about 50 percent more. Even those in the middle class, often said to be hit hardest by increasing taxes, saw their share decline by about a third.

http://www.heritage.org/research/taxes/BG1415.cfm#pgfId=1123854

This one has good footnotes leading to original sources.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 01:29:45 AM by Plane »

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2008, 01:31:09 AM »
Who is the Tax Foundation?

I am smelling Grover Norquist. A rather acrid stench, with a hint of musk and plaid.

This is seven years old. Were taxes the same in 2000?

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2008, 01:34:14 AM »
The right wing has a lot of statements about taxes, and they hardly could all be true.

They also maintain that Americans pay over 45% of their incomes in one sort of tax or another.

I paid 19% at most, and I have a middle class job with an income slightly above the average. So I doubt their schpiels and consider them to be hype.

They will admit that Germans and Swedes pay more, but then again, Americans get few of the benefits that Germans and Swedes do, such as health care, education through university and decent housing for everyone.

After housing, insurance, automobiles (a necessity in most of the US, certainly not in most of Germany or Sweden) and education, Americans have less left over. And only a miserly two weeks' vacation, to the Europeans four weeks.

If you are paying only 20% while makeing above the median , at what part of the spread do you suppose those who pay no income tax begin?

Knutey

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2008, 01:34:32 AM »
Senator Obama told Bill O,Riley that he is going to give 95% of the American people a tax cut.

When  I heard him say this at the Dem Convention , he said 95% of working class families . I think you & Papa Bear want to hear only what you want to hear and fuck the truth & reality as far as your concerned.
http://www.bizjournals.com/denver/stories/2008/08/25/daily52.html

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2008, 01:41:58 AM »
If you are paying only 20% while makeing above the median , at what part of the spread do you suppose those who pay no income tax begin?

=============================================
I paid less because I always contributed the max in my 4o3-B and my Roth IRA accounts, so my taxes were perhaps less than typical by quite a bit.

I think that a single person would pay no FICA at around $12K, and a higher figure for those who are married and have more dependents.

But they still will be paying nearly 7% to Social Security and Medicaid, and actually double that, since the employer matches this.

Being as I plan to collect SS and Medicaid, I do not consider these to be taxes. They are really insurance in my point of view.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2008, 01:47:11 AM »

=============================================
I paid less because I always contributed the max in my 4o3-B and my Roth IRA accounts, so my taxes were perhaps less than typical by quite a bit.

I think that a single person would pay no FICA at around $12K, and a higher figure for those who are married and have more dependents.

But they still will be paying nearly 7% to Social Security and Medicaid, and actually double that, since the employer matches this.

Being as I plan to collect SS and Medicaid, I do not consider these to be taxes. They are really insurance in my point of view.

Now I am not sure what we are disagreeing about.

richpo64

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2008, 12:55:02 PM »
>>Does this include the nearly 40% who pay no Federal Income tax?<<

Does that unclude all 57 states?