Author Topic: Sarah Palin is not qualified to be president of these United States  (Read 2343 times)

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
You know?  I just so absolutely disgusted with how the right is trying to spin and massage and validate and obfuscate for Sarah Palin and her absolute lack of any justifiable answers to most of the questions that she was asked by Katie Couric on CBS.

It has absolutely gotten to the ridiculous extremes of asking those of us who acknowledge reality and, at first, politely stated that Palin may want to find other ways to occupy her time back in Alaska as governor of that state rather than attempting to fake it till she makes it as a VP candidate. 

With all due respect to those here, it came as an absolute shock to my senses when those on the right not only didn't acknowledge that Palin has a stark lack of ability to speak sensibly on most of the subjects Couric asked her about but then went on to try and proclaim any number of excuses for her blatant lack of ability.

The FACT that she knows less about the major subjects of our time in the nation as a whole totally obliterates the comparison of "experience" between she and Barack Obama as far as a simple resume' is concerned.  Yes, her resume' shows she is Governor of a large land mass with less of a population than Chicago and yes, she was a mayor of a small town in Alaska and all that, on its face, does give the appearance that maybe she is qualified to run as a candidate for the VP.

(Aside:  Regardless of how the VP candidate is viewed in regards to the campaign of the person running first on the ticket for the presidency, the person running second should also be put through the paces to make sure that person would make a competent president in the event of the loss of the person in the presidency.  We can give them a pass on some things but they should have, at the very least, a passing grade for presidency.)

Barack Obama is a Senator from Illinois who, yes, has spent most of his time in that office, effectively running for the presidency.  Prior to being a US Senator, he was a state Senator, so his resume' is not so stinky.  He's been around.  If you, for fun's sake converted their two resume's into weights based on just the two each jobs, I would say they come out VERY close.

But, as any of those of us who have conducted interviews, a candidate for a job might have a resume' that sparkles but when they come before you and you get to meet that person and figuratively kick the tires, that is where the judgment comes in.  There are differences that come through after you meet them that you can't detect through their resume'.  Often times, that person with the sparkler can turn out to be a real dumbass not have the full set of tools we're looking for in this position.

The one particularly bad answer that Palin offered to Couric follows.  I have included the question as well.

COURIC: Why isn’t it better, Governor Palin, to spend $700 billion helping middle-class families struggling with health care, housing, gas and groceries? … Instead of helping these big financial institutions that played a role in creating this mess?

PALIN: Ultimately, what the bailout does is help those who are concerned about the health care reform that is needed to help shore up the economy– Oh, it’s got to be about job creation too. So health care reform and reducing taxes and reining in spending has got to accompany tax reductions.

Normally, I would try to say something along the lines of "Now, to me, it appears that Palin has missed the mark on this one or got confused or something" but knowing all the other totally blown opportunities that Palin was given in the interview and having heard her unbelievably snarky speech at the convention, I'm not inclined to give the slightest benefit of the doubt.

While checking her notecards a couple of times, the woman gives an answer to what can only be a totally different question.  My friends, the bailout has absolutely nothing to do with health care reform.  It has nothing to do with reining in spending.  It has nothing to to with reducing taxes.  The question asked why not bailout Main Street rather than Wall Street.

Baffling with bullshit is a time-honored tradition in Washington.  We've all seen.  Talk for a minute or two about the subject but never make a statement; but, on the whole, the baffling bullshit should be tied to the subject at hand.

The woman is woefully uninformed.  That's all there is to it.

What I have found particularly frightening and stupefying to say the least, is how some of you (some I even respect and a couple I highly respect) have refused to acknowledge this basic fact.  Particularly distressing is how you've literally embraced her utter ignorance on basic questions.  Going so far as to say that she's "like us" or she's "folksy" or "rough around the edges".  It is seriously unbelievable to me.

When Bush was running against Gore in 2000, it was often stated that Bush was "like us" by many folk.  My reply to those folk was always along the lines of, "When I hear him answer a question, it usually sounds like something I would say in answer to said question and I had no idea or only a vague understanding of the subject.  And I know I'm not qualified to be president, so I don't want that bastard in there either."  Sadly, as most of us now know (but some again won't even acknowledge), Bush was not qualified to be president of these United States.

When I hear Palin answer questions, I have a similar thought run through my head: "I know I'm still not qualified to run for the presidency but I think I know more than her about these subjects!  So, that means I, for damned sure, don't want her in the White House for anything other than taking a guided tour."

Friends, I'm begging you in all seriousness, acknowledge the mistakes that McCain and his campaign have made with this woman and let her go back to Alaska.  If you can't vote for Obama, at least stay home or vote for Bob Barr or do as I did in 2004 and write in who you think should be the president.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: Sarah Palin is not qualified to be president of these United States
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 10:03:14 PM »
Two minor points.

Palin is not running for President.

And you didn't post her entire answer.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 10:28:40 PM »
Third Point......if Palin isn't qualified even to be Vice President, Obama sure is hell isn't qualified to be President.  It's utterly amazing to see the left foam at the mouth at Palin's supposed lack of qualification for an executive position, when it keeps coming right back to re-highlight Obama's anemic qualifications as well

Oh well
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 10:39:56 PM »
Obama likes peace. McCain seems to have never met a war he didn't like. We already had one warmongering fool in the WH. Why elect another?

No one who isn't qualified to be president should be elected VP. ESPECIALLY to a 72 years old ex-cancer patient.

Joe Sixpack does not belong in leadership role of this country. Nor does his sister, wife or mother.

McCain and Palin and slip-slidin' away. That is a GOOD sign.

No one needs another bunch of damn Republicans after the godawful mess Juniorbush and Cheney made.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2008, 10:46:03 PM »
Obama likes peace.

That why he wants to double down in Afghanistan and cross into Pakistan when he wants to?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2008, 10:55:49 PM »
I am thinking that this might be what McCain would do as well.

Afghanistan is the actual base of terrorism. The tribal areas of Pakistan and Afghanistan are the center of Islamic fanaticism. We don't want a war with the Pakis, but I would trust Obama's diplomats to be better than those McCain would send. Obama has a much different image in the Muslim world than McCain.

Lawyers negotiate calmly.

Warriors are violent and tend to fly off the handle.

Obama seems to be better for a measured and predictable response. McCain likes stunts.

Stunts like sending Christian missionaries to Saudi Arabia, and gettinf the Saudis to finance and send men to fight the Russians in Afghanistan turned out to be disastrous stunts. The CIA are the stuntmen, the State Dept. are the diplomats. We do not need more stunts, because there seems to always be blowback, and then Americans get killed, kidnapped, beheaded and blown up.

9-11 was a counterstunt.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2008, 11:32:51 PM »
<<It's utterly amazing to see the left foam at the mouth at Palin's supposed lack of qualification for an executive position, when it keeps coming right back to re-highlight Obama's anemic qualifications as well>>

Right.  Some dipshit grad of a midwest journalism school, who can't even name a single newspaper or magazine she reads,  is on a par with a Harvard Law School magna cum laude who was a Professor of Constitutional Law for 12 years at University of Chicago Law School.

But the most ironic thing of all, is to have the Right harping incessantly at Obama's lack of "qualifications" (the magna cum laude law school grad and Professor of Constitutional Law is "less qualified" than some half-wit numbnuts graduating almost last in a class of 800 at a military academy) UNTIL they produce Palin as the Veep candidate.  Absolutely hilarious.  HE'S not "qualified" to hold the office, but Bimbo Doll Sarah is!!!  THAT is what people are laughing at.  Not just liberals - - ANYBODY with an ounce of sanity.  George Will, for example, and he's as conservative as they come.  Your position is ludicrous.  And if anyone had any doubts about McCain's judgment before - - all they have to do is picture themselves with President Sarah as head of state, caught in some new international crisis.  But hey!! if that's what you want, go ahead and vote for them.  You won't find much company, it appears.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2008, 11:45:35 PM »
But hey!! if that's what you want, go ahead and vote for them.

Thanks for your permission. You have no idea how much that means to me.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2008, 02:33:04 AM »
 :D
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2008, 01:08:00 PM »
Two minor points.

Palin is not running for President.

And you didn't post her entire answer.

Yeah, technically, Palin IS running for president.  That's the whole point of having a vice-president.  The VP is your "in case of emergency" President.  You can be all obtuse and nonsensical if you like but I've spelled out the reality.

Oh, you want the WHOLE answer posted?  I realized that last night when I saw her full answer on Olbermann and I thought it was EVEN WORSE, so by all means, the full answer:

"That's why I say I, like every American I'm speaking with, were ill about this position that we have been put in. Where it is the taxpayers looking to bail out. But ultimately, what the bailout does is help those who are concerned about the health care reform that is needed to help shore up our economy. Um, helping, oh, it's got to be about job creation, too. Shoring up our economy, and getting it back on the right track. So health care reform and reducing taxes and reining in spending has got to accompany tax reductions, and tax relief for Americans, and trade -- we have got to see trade as opportunity, not as, uh, competitive, um, scary thing, but one in five jobs created in the trade sector today. We've got to look at that as more opportunity. All of those things under the umbrella of job creation."

You have got to be frickin' kidding me.

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2008, 01:08:46 PM »
Third Point......if Palin isn't qualified even to be Vice President, Obama sure is hell isn't qualified to be President.  It's utterly amazing to see the left foam at the mouth at Palin's supposed lack of qualification for an executive position, when it keeps coming right back to re-highlight Obama's anemic qualifications as well

Oh well

Just stop.  Please.

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2008, 01:10:46 PM »

You see?  This is exactly what I'm talking about.  You're laughing about this nonsense and it's pathetic.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2008, 01:24:22 PM »
Oh, you want the WHOLE answer posted?  I realized that last night when I saw her full answer on Olbermann and I thought it was EVEN WORSE, so by all means, the full answer:

"That's why I say I, like every American I'm speaking with, were ill about this position that we have been put in. Where it is the taxpayers looking to bail out. But ultimately, what the bailout does is help those who are concerned about the health care reform that is needed to help shore up our economy. Um, helping, oh, it's got to be about job creation, too. Shoring up our economy, and getting it back on the right track. So health care reform and reducing taxes and reining in spending has got to accompany tax reductions, and tax relief for Americans, and trade -- we have got to see trade as opportunity, not as, uh, competitive, um, scary thing, but one in five jobs created in the trade sector today. We've got to look at that as more opportunity. All of those things under the umbrella of job creation."

Yeah i want the whole answer posted as well as the complete question the whole answer was in response to.

I'm not interested in Olbermanns editing skills.

The VP candidate is not running for President. The VP is chosen because they either add electoral votes to the ticket (geographic, think LBJ or Papa Bush) or they are of like mind with the presidential candidate so that the presidents policies are carried forward in the event of death or disability ( think Gore) or they bring a skill set to the ticket that the head is clearly lacking as was the case with Biden and Cheney (gravitas).

Otherwise Biden was a horrible pick due to his age and two prior brain aneurysms.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2008, 01:29:35 PM »
BTW the reason the whole question and complete answer is important is because without both it is easy to embarrass yourself by saying you disagree with Brown vs Board of Education as you did Brass.

The question was NOT name a decision other than Roe, it was name a decision you disagree with other than Roe.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2008, 01:41:11 PM »

You see?  This is exactly what I'm talking about.  You're laughing about this nonsense and it's pathetic.

Naaa, the pathetic part is railing on Palin's so-called lack of qualifications while she's simply running as VP, while it's equal, if not better than your fella running at the top of the ticket.