Author Topic: Report stings Palin over Troopergate flap  (Read 2187 times)

hnumpah

• You have another think coming. Use it.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Report stings Palin over Troopergate flap
« on: October 11, 2008, 08:21:47 AM »
Report stings Palin over Troopergate flap
By MATT APUZZO, Associated Press Writer

ANCHORAGE, Alaska - The politically charged investigation into Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin is over, and its conclusions are stinging. But the fallout, if any, might not come until Election Day.

A legislative investigator found that Palin violated state ethics laws and abused her power by trying to have her former brother-in-law fired as a state trooper.

The next move may be at the ballot box. The legislative committee that released the report Friday recommends no criminal investigation and has no authority to sanction the governor, the Republican vice presidential nominee.

"It is out of the Legislative Council's hands. It goes to anyone's hands who got a copy or clicks the link on the Web," said Democratic state Sen. Kim Elton, the chairman of the committee that released the report. "I can't tell you how the process ends."

If voters believe the report's finding and it tarnishes Palin's reputation as a reformer and a champion for good government, that could hurt Republican presidential nominee John McCain in the final weeks of the race.

The McCain campaign quickly rejected that notion.

"I think the American people can tell the difference between the results of a politically motivated investigation and a legitimate finding of fact," campaign spokesman Taylor Griffin said.

The inquiry looked into Palin's dismissal of Public Safety Commissioner Walter Monegan, who said he lost his job because he resisted pressure to fire a state trooper involved in a bitter divorce and custody battle with the governor's sister. Palin says Monegan was fired as part of a legitimate budget dispute.

Stephen Branchflower, a retired prosecutor hired to conduct the investigation, said Monegan's firing was lawful. But the pressure Palin and her husband put on him, he said, was not.

Under Alaska law, it is up to the state's Personnel Board, not the Legislature, to decide whether Palin violated the ethics laws. If so, it must refer the matter to the Senate president for disciplinary action. Violations also carry a possible fine of up to $5,000.

By the time that investigation is over, however, the election will be over. If Palin is the vice president-elect, the results will hardly matter. If she loses, she'll have to address the board's findings at home. The national media will be long gone.

Barack Obama's presidential campaign did not comment on the report amid persistent accusations by Republicans that rival operatives were manipulating the investigation to help the Democratic presidential nominee.

Democratic Sen. Hollis French, who oversaw the investigation, contributed to that perception when he said the report could provide an "October surprise" for the McCain campaign.

Elton said partisanship played no role in the report.

"When we began investigating this, we had no idea that Sarah Palin would be a part of the national ticket," said Elton, an Obama supporter.

Branchflower said Palin violated a statute of the Alaska Executive Branch Ethics Act. Lawmakers don't have the authority to sanction her for such a violation and they gave no indication they would take any action against her.

Palin has recently said that the Personnel Board inquiry is the only one that matters. And McCain's campaign echoed those comments Friday.

"This is the opinion of this Legislative Council investigation," Griffin said. "It's just an opinion."

The report notes a few instances in which Palin pressed the case against trooper Mike Wooten, but it was her husband, Todd, who led the charge. Todd Palin had extraordinary access to the governor's office and her closest advisers and he used that access to try to get Wooten fired.

Gov. Palin knowingly "permitted Todd to use the Governor's office and the resources of the Governor's office, including access to state employees, to continue to contact subordinate state employees in an effort to find some way to get Trooper Wooten fired," Branchflower's report reads.

Wooten had been in hot water before Palin became governor over allegations that he illegally shot a moose, drank beer in a patrol car and used a Taser on his stepson. The Palins said they feared for their family's safety after Wooten made threats against them.

___

Associated Press Writer Adam Goldman contributed to this report.
"I love WikiLeaks." - Donald Trump, October 2016

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Report stings Palin over Troopergate flap
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2008, 10:23:01 AM »
The Palins said they feared for their family's safety after Wooten made threats against them.

================================================================================
How would taking away his job make them safer? If employed, he would be a threat around 40 less per week.
Firing a person as a rule tends to make them irate. Poking a bear with a stick is a similarly bad idea.

I suppose they would take away his trooper sidearm, but he has other weapons, as his shooting that moose indicates.

If they felt threatened, then they should have tried to have him put in jail, not fired.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2008, 01:17:23 PM »
This is sensational news.  How is the Obama campaign gonna play it? 

She's abused her powers as Governor of Alaska - - would you like to see what she could do as the President of the United States of America?

She's not fit to be Governor of Alaska - - now she wants to be President of the U.S.A.?

What is taking them so long to get the campaign rolling?
  This stuff should have been prepared IN ADVANCE, just in case.   Boy these Obama guys are really pissing me off!!  They fuck up over and over and over again.  That Keating Five stuff should have been out there months ago, and even what they've got lacks any real punch.  They're fucking this one up too.

richpo64

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2008, 02:40:31 PM »
Once again, there's no there, there.

This worries them, but a racist, crooked, friend of terrorists president does not.

Go figure.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2008, 03:12:21 PM »
There may not realy be much to it , but this is spinnable.

Religious Dick

• Drunk, drunk, drunk in the gardens and the graves
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2008, 03:37:28 PM »
October 10, 2008
Media Misstating Palin Report
Posted by James Ostrowski at October 10, 2008 09:51 PM

After hearing on the Obama Infomercial Network (MSNBC) that a bipartisan legislative committee in Alaska found Sarah Palin guilty of abuse of power, I thought I would check it out for myself. I have some expertise in this area of unlawful behavior by government officials concerning public employees.

Well, as far as I can tell, and this is breaking fast, there is no legislative finding whatsoever! In fact, the report itself recommends only some legislative changes and no penalties or sanctions that I can find.

There is a report by a lawyer named Stephen Branchflower. A committee voted to release the report but took no further action.

The gulf between what the MSM is saying about this and what actually happened is huge. It makes you wonder what else they are fibbing about.

Update: The legislature doesn't appear to have any jurisdiction over the ethics code. The Attorney General and Personnel Board do have such jurisdiction. There is a bar on acting on complaints against a governor who is running for re-election.

The legislature can impeach but that must start in the Senate. The group that commissioned this report is made up of state senators and house members.

If I was Palin's lawyer, I'd be thinking due process violations. I can say with near certainty that no competent body has found any violations by Palin.

Again, my primary concern here is to warn readers to be very skeptical in these troubled times about what the MSM is trying to sell them.

Update: This AP story gets it right but with a misleading headline.

http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewrw/archives/023452.html
I speak of civil, social man under law, and no other.
-Sir Edmund Burke

richpo64

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2008, 05:56:57 PM »
>>There may not realy be much to it , but this is spinnable.<<

Sure it is. Truth has never been a prerequisite to the left.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2008, 07:54:12 PM »
<<Sure it is. Truth has never been a prerequisite to the left.>>

Well the truth is that a Republican-controlled state senate struck a bipartisan committee to investigate abuse of office by Palin and that the bipartisan committee's investigator found that she did abuse her authority by allowing her husband to repeatedly pressure state officials to get her sister's ex fired from his job as state trooper.

Which part of that story do you find to be untruthful, and how come you know better than the guy appointed by the bipartisan state senate to investigate?

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2008, 10:04:17 PM »
Which part of that story do you find to be untruthful, and how come you know better than the guy appointed by the bipartisan state senate to investigate?

Branchflower seems to have misapplied "the misuse of office for personal gain" clause of the Ethics Code.

Most ethics codes define personal gain as financial gain, and i don't see any financial gain in this affair.

Knutey

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2008, 10:18:51 PM »

Branchflower seems to have misapplied "the misuse of office for personal gain" clause of the Ethics Code.

Most ethics codes define personal gain as financial gain, and i don't see any financial gain in this affair.

Getting her sister more alimony, custody and child support could be considered financial for the unblinded.

richpo64

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2008, 10:50:48 PM »
Unblinded?

???

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2008, 10:52:43 PM »
Getting her sister more alimony, custody and child support could be considered financial for the unblinded.

In most states, when you lose your job, the courts reduce the amount of alimony, custody, and child support. Can you validate your claim that this not true in Alaska?
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Knutey

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2008, 11:24:19 PM »

In most states, when you lose your job, the courts reduce the amount of alimony, custody, and child support. Can you validate your claim that this not true in Alaska?

Good question . Just proves how incredibly stupid Palin is to try to get his job. I should have put a question mark at the end for the anal.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2008, 11:36:04 PM »
Sheer vindictiveness seems to be motive enough for Palin to want to get his brother in law fired.
Tasering a child is probably an ample reason to want to do this, but probably not unless done on the job.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Knutey

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2008, 11:40:49 PM »
Sheer vindictiveness seems to be motive enough for Palin to want to get his brother in law fired.
Tasering a child is probably an ample reason to want to do this, but probably not unless done on the job.

That probly IS it. Hate  trumps money and even tax cuts among the truly fascist right like Palin.