Author Topic: Obamas Lead Narrows  (Read 2851 times)

richpo64

Obamas Lead Narrows
« on: October 28, 2008, 11:26:20 PM »
Obama holds 4-point lead on McCain

U.S. Democratic presidential nominee Obama at a rally in Chester
By John Whitesides, Political Correspondent, Reuters
Tue Oct 28, 11:09 AM EDT

Democrat Barack Obama has a 4-point national lead over Republican John McCain as they head into the final week of the presidential campaign, according to a Reuters/C-SPAN/Zogby poll released on Tuesday.

Obama leads McCain by 49 percent to 45 percent among likely voters in the three-day national tracking poll, a slight dip from his 5-point advantage on Monday. The telephone poll has a margin of error of 2.9 percentage points.

McCain solidified his support among white and male voters but Obama retained double-digit leads among women and independent voters -- two key swing blocs in the November 4 election.

Obama had a strong single day of polling on Monday, pollster John Zogby said, and still holds a significant edge among Hispanics and Catholics, two groups who gave a boost to Republican President George W. Bush's re-election win in 2004.

"With seven days to go in this race, McCain is still not where he needs to be with some key groups and he is running out of time," Zogby said.

McCain, a veteran Arizona senator, has sliced Obama's 12-point advantage by more than half in the last five days but he has not been able to break through the 45 percent support mark.

When the national tracking poll debuted on October 6, Obama led by 3 points, 48 percent to 45 percent. In the ensuing three weeks, McCain's support has not been higher than 45 percent and Obama's support has not been lower than 48 percent.

MCCAIN TRIES TO GAIN

McCain has struggled in recent weeks to overcome Obama's lead in national polls and to beat back a strong challenge from the first-term Illinois senator in about a dozen states won by Bush in 2004.

The swirling economic crisis helped emphasize Obama's perceived strength on the issue, while a series of debates and Obama's huge advantage in paid advertising in battleground states have also paid dividends.

Obama leads among all age groups except those between 30 and 49. He also leads among self-described blue-collar workers and those who have a member of the military in their family.

Obama also has done a better job of reaching across the ideological divide, winning one of every five conservative voters while McCain captures just 8 percent of self-described liberals, the poll found.

Independent Ralph Nader and Libertarian Bob Barr both received support from 1 percent of those polled nationally. Three percent said they remain undecided in the race.

The rolling tracking poll, taken Saturday through Monday, surveyed 1,202 likely voters in the presidential election. In a tracking poll, the most recent day's results are added, while the oldest day's results are dropped to monitor changing momentum.

The U.S. president is determined by who wins the Electoral College, which has 538 members apportioned by population in each state and the District of Columbia. Electoral votes are allotted on a winner-take-all basis in all but two states, which divide them by congressional district.

(Editing by John O'Callaghan)

http://www.comcast.net/articles/news-politics/20080923/POLITICS-US-USA-POLITICS-POLL/print/

© 2008 Thomson Reuters. All rights reserved. Reuters content is the intellectual property of Thomson Reuters or its third party content providers. Any copying, republication or redistribution of Reuters content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Thomson Reuters. Thomson Reuters shall not be liable for any errors or delays in content, or for any actions taken in reliance thereon. "Reuters" and the Reuters Logo are trademarks of Thomson Reuters and its affiliated companies. For additional information on other Reuters media services please visit http://about.reuters.com/media/.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Obamas Lead Narrows
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 11:31:21 PM »
Your title indicates pretty much the exact opposite of the article you posted.

McCain is doomed. Several moose might regret the Obama victory, as  First Dude Palin might be out with his gun soon, seeing meat for mooseburgers, moose stew, moose soup, roast moose au jus, moose jerky and  Christmas Moose.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

richpo64

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008, 11:32:58 PM »
>>Obama leads McCain by 49 percent to 45 percent among likely voters in the three-day national tracking poll, a slight dip from his 5-point advantage on Monday. The telephone poll has a margin of error of 2.9 percentage points.<<

Get as clue junior.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 12:08:01 AM »
Your title indicates pretty much the exact opposite of the article you posted.

McCain is doomed. Several moose might regret the Obama victory, as  First Dude Palin might be out with his gun soon, seeing meat for mooseburgers, moose stew, moose soup, roast moose au jus, moose jerky and  Christmas Moose.

I need glasses myself , but not that badly.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 02:12:54 AM »
a slight dip from his 5-point advantage on Monday. The telephone poll has a margin of error of 2.9 percentage points.<<

=============================
I did notice a slight dip, but I thought it was just you, you know, being you.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008, 02:32:57 AM »
The polls will close even tighter.

The margin of victory will be less than 2%.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2008, 02:47:58 AM »
The polls will close even tighter.

The margin of victory will be less than 2%.

=========================================
And this was revealed to you by...?

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2008, 10:36:29 AM »
And this was revealed to you by...?

No revelation, no 4 horsemen.

Call it an educated guess.

richpo64

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2008, 12:34:20 PM »
>>And this was revealed to you by...?<<

The same people who told you this:

>>McCain is doomed<<

::)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2008, 12:44:29 PM »
I heard the latest Gallop poll has them seperated by only 2 points
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

richpo64

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2008, 12:50:03 PM »
>>I heard the latest Gallop poll has them seperated by only 2 points<<

If somehow the LA Times can be forced to release the tape of Obama praising a terrorist and a terrorists supporter/Jew hater it will be over for Barry. The KGBMedia are doing their best to suppress this tape. We should all make calls demanding it be released.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

October 28, 2008

McCain campaign joins chorus demanding Obama tape from LA Times
By Brad A. Greenberg

http://www.jewishjournal.com/thegodblog/item/mccain_campaign_joins_chorus_demanding_obama_tape_from_la_times_20081028/

Rashid KhalidiDuring the past few days, there has been a growing push from a number of blogs to get the Los Angeles Times to release a videotape of Barack Obama honoring Rashid Khalidi, the Mideast scholar, critic of Israel and alleged former mouthpiece of the PLO.

The tape, which contained footage of Obama and others bidding Khalidi farewell when he left Chicago for New York, had been referenced in an April article titled ”Allies of Palestinians See a Friend in Obama,” and on it the Times reported, were the goings-on of an evening railing against Israel:

At Khalidi’s 2003 farewell party, for example, a young Palestinian American recited a poem accusing the Israeli government of terrorism in its treatment of Palestinians and sharply criticizing U.S. support of Israel. If Palestinians cannot secure their own land, she said, “then you will never see a day of peace.”

One speaker likened “Zionist settlers on the West Bank” to Osama bin Laden, saying both had been “blinded by ideology.”

Obama adopted a different tone in his comments and called for finding common ground. But his presence at such events, as he worked to build a political base in Chicago, has led some Palestinian leaders to believe that he might deal differently with the Middle East than either of his opponents for the White House.

Bloggers have wanted to see the tape, to know what else Obama said that evening and to what he sat idly by as others said. Was he silent when and if a pro-Palestinian voice, like Khalidi’s, attacked Israel?

“Barack Obama wouldn’t possibly let something like that pass without a spirited defense of the Israel he tells us he so staunchly supports … would he?”Andrew McCarthy asked in a column for NRO I guess to answer that question, we’d have to know what was on the tape.”

I considered blogging about this yesterday but I decided that the reason the tape hadn’t been released was likely because the Times had acquired it from a confidential source who didn’t want to be identified, and knew they would if the tape got out. Today, when John McCain’s campaign piled on and demanded the tape be released to the public, I was proven correct.

“The Los Angeles Times did not publish the videotape because it was provided to us by a confidential source who did so on the condition that we not release it,” the Time’s editor, Russ Stanton, said in a statement. “The Times keeps its promises to sources.”

That may seem like a cop out, but it’s not. It’s a legally binding contract. And we know more information because it was entered into than we would if it hadn’t been. This story, indeed, is one the rest of the media missed, and for that the Times shouldn’t be given the same old song and dance.

© Copyright 2008 The Jewish Journal and JewishJournal.com
All rights reserved. JewishJournal.com is hosted by Nexcess.net

http://www.jewishjournal.com/thegodblog/print/mccain_campaign_joins_chorus_demanding_obama_tape_from_la_times_20081028/

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2008, 12:50:56 PM »
If y'all can make Obama's speech tonight into Neil Kinnock's Sheffield moment, then this race could very well be turned on it's head.
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2008, 12:57:47 PM »
I think I'll be playing WoW
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2008, 04:21:38 PM »
If y'all can make Obama's speech tonight into Neil Kinnock's Sheffield moment, then this race could very well be turned on it's head.

How could we do that?

I think that BHO generally chooses his own words.

Have we been misquoteing him?

Religious Dick

• Drunk, drunk, drunk in the gardens and the graves
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2008, 04:29:41 PM »
Today most of the polls show Obama with a mere 3 point lead. Looks like McCain is well within striking distance.
I speak of civil, social man under law, and no other.
-Sir Edmund Burke