Author Topic: much too true  (Read 2092 times)

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
much too true
« on: November 13, 2006, 04:22:24 PM »
http://www.dailyprincetonian.com/archives/2006/11/13/news/16544.shtml

this happened to two of my nephews
they average 4.0 ,but they had to finds schools with low amount of asians in it to get in.

most asians students with 4.0 has a chinamans chance of ever going to a good college in california.
it sounds like a joke ,but it`s true.

the funny part is asians are a smaller minority group than african-american & hispanics
and still not considered a minority in this case

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: much too true
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2006, 06:07:38 PM »
most asians students with 4.0 has a chinamans chance of ever going to a good college in california.
it sounds like a joke ,but it`s true.

Chinaman's chance. Hee hee hee!

I did my practice teaching many years ago at Cheney State College in Washington. My classes were in Spokane in the summer.
There were basically two groups of students taking summer school at this high school. (1) Anglo kids who had flunked out of the required American History class and Japanese-American students whose objectives was to finish HS early. There were no Black or American Indian students in my class, though there were a very few in my Spanish and English comp class.

I could not give a test that everyone could pass. Not even true/false or matching or multiple choice. The Japanese students all scored above 90%. The Anglo students scored between 40 and 80%. The practice teaching objective was to engage the students in dialogue and discussion about American history, to get them to form opinions and justify them.

The Anglo kids had dozens of opinions, most of which were half-baked and clearly repetitions of what they heard others say. It was largely impossibl;e to get four or five of them to shut up so others could speak. There were 28 or 29 students in the class.

The Japanese students would never say more than one sentence. They would write several sentences on essay questions on tests and assignments, but they were extremely quiet. They had all read the book, and a couple of the girls seem to have memorized at least several sentences of it.

Most of the Japanese students were in some way related to detainees in the Internment Camps during WWII: their parents grew up as children there, or their grandparents were detainees. None of them offered a word about this, but I learned from a Japanese American teacher that this was the case.

My practice teacher supervisor gave me an A every segment of the grade, including  the weekly discussion sessions. I don't think I would have given myself higher than a C+ on these discussions, but I did try everything but goosing them.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2006, 07:21:38 PM »
the thing about these high achieving students it`s all data.
very little creativity.
this path of pure academics has already led to some trouble in southern california
no matter how good a book is,it still not as exciting as hanging out with friends and robbing stores.

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2006, 10:08:56 AM »
It seems to me that creativity in the US often exhibits itself in new inventions, whereas in Japan, it lies in perfecting to the nth degree inventions that already exist.

Everyone has folded paper into various shapes, but only the Japanese have made an art form of Origami.

Everyone writes, but the Japanese take calligraphy lessons for there entire lives.

Everyone sticks flowers in pots, but the Japanese also have turned flower arranging into an art form.

Rock gardens, flower gardens, kiminos, swords, food arranging on a plate, the tea ceremony, even climbing Mt Fuji have become stylized art forms.

The Lexus is a lot more reliable than the Mercedes, but it still lacks the aura of something that is engineered rather than designed.

Daihatsu had a weird little SUV called the Naked. The owner bought it as is, then personalized it with all manner of decorative and luxurious flourishes. It wasn't sold in the US. Now Toyota is promoting something similar with the Scion.

Colonialism has been declared evil, but I cannot help but think that the Japanese occupation of Taiwan is at least partially responsible for the huge disparity between Taiwan and pretty anywhere on the mainland.

Singapore and Hong Kong are obvious other successes, but in both of them the British created the organizational framework.'

It is pretty clear that diversity is a boon to creativity.

Anatole France said "To learn a new language is to gain a soul."

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2006, 01:58:38 PM »
The University of Georgia and Georgia Tech could use a few additional 4.0 students.

Do they really need Calif Colledge?