Author Topic: The Guru's of Supply Side Mostly Supplied Themselves EXAMPLE#1  (Read 4445 times)

Knutey

Re: The Guru's of Supply Side Mostly Supplied Themselves EXAMPLE#1
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2008, 11:46:25 AM »
It doesn't hurt my feelings at all. This was not my issue to start with.

I was just explaining how it could be a cut from one perspective and not another.

It isn't a cut from the perspective of arithmatic.

Your arithmatric is blind. Domestic spending was cut  and defense spending increased ... Just lQQk at the chart on your site.

http://www.cpcs.umb.edu/labor_notes/files/03710.pdf

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2008, 04:34:43 PM »
It doesn't hurt my feelings at all. This was not my issue to start with.

I was just explaining how it could be a cut from one perspective and not another.

Your arithmatric is blind. Domestic spending was cut  and defense spending increased ... Just lQQk at the chart on your site.

Yes Yes Domestic spending was cut by makeing the amount spent larger every year.

I wonder what word you could find to describe the situation of actually allocateing a smaller amount of money , since "CUT" does not mean a smaller amount of money.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2008, 04:40:31 PM »

[/quote]
Did you notice what the table was?

That table was a congressional projection , none of those numbers came true, in reality every one of those catagorys saw no cuts (I mean really) during Reagans entire tenure.
As
the table shows, the Congressional
Budget Committee projects much larger
deficits than the White House does. The
difference stems from different
assessments of the health of the
economy, the likelihood of declining in -
term rates, and the level of unemployment.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2008, 10:31:06 PM »

It isn't a cut from the perspective of arithmetic.

====================================
Again. it depends on whose arithmetic.

The citizen, who is finding it harder to get by, or the OMB, that has a slightly larger overall figure on a balance sheet.

Reagan's government, remember, tried to have ketchup in children's lunches defined as a necesary vegetable serving.

i
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2008, 02:09:17 AM »

It isn't a cut from the perspective of arithmetic.

====================================
Again. it depends on whose arithmetic.

The citizen, who is finding it harder to get by, or the OMB, that has a slightly larger overall figure on a balance sheet.

Reagan's government, remember, tried to have ketchup in children's lunches defined as a necesary vegetable serving.

i

One urban myth defnds another.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2008, 08:13:34 AM »

Did you also make a stink when Clinton's administration made another tomato condiment (salsa) into a vegetable? The latter actually happened, the former was never implemented.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

richpo64

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2008, 10:53:57 AM »
Notice how he inserts "necessary" (he spelled it wrong) into the falsehood to make it seems even worse.

>>Reagan's government, remember, tried to have ketchup in children's lunches defined as a necesary (sic) vegetable serving.<<

It's one of those things that got repeated enough by the liberal media that they believed it to be true.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2008, 11:31:06 AM »
It's one of those things that got repeated enough by the liberal media that they believed it to be true.

It is true, moron

Henny

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2008, 11:56:40 AM »

Did you also make a stink when Clinton's administration made another tomato condiment (salsa) into a vegetable? The latter actually happened, the former was never implemented.

And the thing about both of the condiments is this: they DO count as vegetables. Ask any dieter who is trying to meet the minimum fruit/veggie nutrition guideline - they count.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2008, 12:05:27 PM »

And the thing about both of the condiments is this: they DO count as vegetables. Ask any dieter who is trying to meet the minimum fruit/veggie nutrition guideline - they count.

=========================================
If you are a dieter rather than a growing child, this is a different issue.
When you are dieting, everything matters, mostly because of the number of calories.

The amount of ketchup or salsa someone puts on food is not normally enough to qualify as a serving of that vegetable. A serving is somewhere between 4 and 8 oz. The point is that Reagan was more interested in saving money than in nutrition for children.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2008, 12:11:06 PM »

I always wondered what there was about turning tomatoes into a sauce that removed their "vegetable-ness"1 - if they are considered vegetables before being processed, how come they're not vegetables afterward?

1 Yes, I realize that technically tomatoes are berries and not vegetables...
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2008, 12:14:09 PM »
The point is that Reagan was more interested in saving money than in nutrition for children.

Actually, the regulations that were proposed (but never implemented) allowed the states to make this change, they did not mandate it. Of course, the changes that were implemented in it's place (under Clinton, IIRC) allowed the children select which vegetables they want to eat, and didn't require them to select any.

Henny

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2008, 01:21:22 PM »
If you are a dieter rather than a growing child, this is a different issue.
When you are dieting, everything matters, mostly because of the number of calories.

The amount of ketchup or salsa someone puts on food is not normally enough to qualify as a serving of that vegetable. A serving is somewhere between 4 and 8 oz. The point is that Reagan was more interested in saving money than in nutrition for children.

I disagree. Part of most diet programs is an attempt to learn a healthy lifestyle, and part of that learning curve is getting all of your fruit and veggies. Those two condiments - salsa in particular (because there's a lot of sugar in ketchup) - count.

However, good point about the serving sizes (although my own son has been known to eat ketchup with a spoon). But I hardly think that Reagan himself was nitpicking to the point of saying, "give them ketchup as a vegetable." I would assume that some idiot trying to create a budget came up with that "brilliant" idea.

Henny

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2008, 01:22:54 PM »

I always wondered what there was about turning tomatoes into a sauce that removed their "vegetable-ness"1 - if they are considered vegetables before being processed, how come they're not vegetables afterward?

1 Yes, I realize that technically tomatoes are berries and not vegetables...

I think that a point that is often made is that sugar and other things are added to the ketchup. Salsa, on the other hand, and of course depending on the brand, is slightly more in the natural state.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2008, 01:25:22 PM »
The obvious solution is to cut out the school lunch program.