Author Topic: this movie is harmful  (Read 5310 times)

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
this movie is harmful
« on: December 05, 2008, 11:47:25 PM »
http://www.slashfilm.com/2008/12/05/how-twilight-is-destroying-america-and-harming-our-nations-youth/

It give the impression that girls can get a prettyboy/badboy who`ll is more than willing to not have sex just to be with them.
gonna be alot more hurt girls out there now

Henny

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: this movie is harmful
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2008, 02:18:30 AM »
http://www.slashfilm.com/2008/12/05/how-twilight-is-destroying-america-and-harming-our-nations-youth/

It give the impression that girls can get a prettyboy/badboy who`ll is more than willing to not have sex just to be with them.
gonna be alot more hurt girls out there now

I read the opinions on the link you posted and found them to be crap (in my opinion). It's a fantasy novel about vampires, for crying out loud. And a book where the teenagers don't jump right into bed? Gasp!

richpo64

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2008, 11:06:12 AM »
It's my understanding that this film has nor cursing, no nudity, and no sex.

It's a fantasy movie. They would like it to be as big as Harry Potter, but I doubt that will happen. I wouldn't have nay problem with my daughter seeing this movie. In fact, I believe she's going to see it today.

chickencounter

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2008, 11:40:40 AM »
My 14 year old daughter has seen it twice and this series of books is the first that has really got her interested in reading.  Wanting to understand her fascination, I just read the first book and I found it to be very age appropriate.  I don't see any problem here.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2008, 04:47:07 PM »
Is it healthy for a teenage girl to harbor some suspicions?

Is a good relationship possible with a vampire?

If not, should one settle for a pretty good one way street?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2008, 08:39:14 PM »

This is like asking "Is a good relationship possible with a tooth fairy?" or a Faun? or one of Santa's elves?
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2008, 09:52:26 PM »

This is like asking "Is a good relationship possible with a tooth fairy?" or a Faun? or one of Santa's elves?

Those are also good questions if you are being allegorical.

A good relationship with a very giveing person isnt hard if you are the type to accept that they are giveing to other people too.

A good relationship with a thoughtless hedonist would not last long.

A good relationship with the bosses kiss up can be had , but if you arn't the boss why bother?, if you are the boss beware.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2008, 12:39:54 AM »
what getting at this movie will give girl the impression thery can a boyfriend like ther one in the movie.
I see the vampire aspect as the attraction some females have with badboys.
it`s pretrty much placing the bar high for men.
but men will simply not bother trying ,because we don`t care

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2008, 10:48:01 AM »
Vampires do not exist. I can't imagine what a vampire would be an allegory to.

I suppose the idea of vampires came from the Christian communion, wherein one is asked to drink the blood of Christ (actually it is wine, allegedly transformed by a miracle) and gain everlasting life.

And, of course, there are bats who drink blood, though I don't think there are any such bats in Europe. I guess birds are too much angelic, with feathers and all, to be a part of the myth. Besides, I don;t think there are bloodsucking birds.

Insects, of course, there are mosquitoes everywhere. But they are too small to be a horrible mythic monster.

Henny

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2008, 12:41:49 PM »
I suppose the idea of vampires came from the Christian communion, wherein one is asked to drink the blood of Christ (actually it is wine, allegedly transformed by a miracle) and gain everlasting life.

No, the idea of vampires has been around for thousands and thousands of years. Since the dawn of civilization. Even some interpretations of the Lilitu going back as far as Gilgamesh is of a vampire.

The Southeastern European incarnation of a "vampire" might have some of those trappings, though, I admit.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2008, 12:13:11 AM »
I meant that Nosferatu, Dracula and the traditional Romanian vampire tales seem to have arisen as a distortion of the resurrection of Jesus.

On the other hand, perhaps Jesus was a vampire. He died bleeding and arose after a night in the tomb transformed to the point where at least one disciple did not recognize him, despite the location of his wounds. Or perhaps he was less scantily clad dressed after resurrection. He is always seen wearing nothing but some sort of diaper in most depiction of crucifixion, and all his wounds would show. Perhaps when he returned, he was wrapped in a more concealing shroud.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 09:16:33 AM by Xavier_Onassis »

MissusDe

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2008, 12:36:11 AM »
My 18 year old daughter introduced me to this series last summer, and I read through them all.  I was impressed with the fact that the books didn't have any cussing or sex in them.  And with a daughter who is more comfortable holding a video game controller or cell phone in her hand than a book, finding an author who could compel her to actually sit and read was impressive.

Anna has seen the movie 5 times now, with different friends, and she wants to take me to see it.  She didn't think the movie did the book justice, but she enjoyed it.  I found it interesting that the author is a Mormon, and I certainly admire her ability to develop the teenage characters in her books realistically enough to hold the attention of kids without making them seem like the 'goody two-shoe' types'. 

The books do have an underlying message. The main character falls for a classmate who belongs to a family of vampires who have trained themselves not to hunt humans, but animals instead.  There's a lot of emphasis on their struggle to overcome their natural instincts as well as their alienation from the other vampires throughout the world.  It demonstrates how hard it can be to choose to be different from others, and how overcoming the temptation to do something you've been taught is wrong can make you feel good about yourself, and that's certainly a message that today's kids need to hear.

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2008, 10:18:09 AM »
As someone who was obsessed with the Anne Rice vampire novels, I can't say I blame anyone for enjoying vampire tales in general but it is kind of annoying how that Twilight is unknown to me and seems to be all the rage with the kids these days.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2008, 02:23:33 PM »
brass that`s exactly why I saw this movie
talk about under the radar
I own a vampire encyclopedia and the very idea this slipped by me is crazy.
I`m not a authority on vampire literature,but I`m no slouch.
george hamilton rocks!!

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2008, 08:05:23 PM »
just to show my vampire knowledge
check out anno dracula
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anno_Dracula_(novel)

pretty good book it even has chinese vampires in it