Author Topic: ......What does the left consider  (Read 12057 times)

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: ......What does the left consider
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2008, 10:38:04 PM »
Plane...of course "nice tactics" are preferred
sure that should be attempted first
sure they work in some cases
but what if they dont work?
in the 4th quarter...do you not use all the tools in the toolbox?
if you know Chicago is about to get hit with anthrax
you just throw up your arms after "nice" doesn't work and not waterboard?
"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2008, 11:02:03 PM »
Plane...of course "nice tactics" are preferred
sure that should be attempted first
sure they work in some cases
but what if they dont work?
in the 4th quarter...do you not use all the tools in the toolbox?
if you know Chicago is about to get hit with anthrax
you just throw up your arms after "nice" doesn't work and not waterboard?

Lets prefer what works better overall.

Being nice when it is time to be nice and mean when it is time to be mean.

If nice is more effective , it isn't time to be mean.

BSB

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2008, 03:15:30 AM »
I wonder how many here have seen the results of torture? How many here have seen an enemy soldier come out of an interrogation with his head swollen to the size of a soccer ball, and then die an hour later?

I wonder how many here know soldiers who have had to live with being involved in an interrogation session that got out of hand? How many here know soldiers who are still haunted by this sort of thing 43 years after the fact? 

I wonder how many of you here know what being "mean" durring a Q&A with the enemy is really all about?

I wonder if any of you had actualy seen this kind of thing up close and personal you'd still be so gung-ho about it?

Leave it to the spooks. Never allow soldiers to get involved in any questionable interrogation techniques. Always hope your President speaks out against it, strongly. Always hope you never have a President like GW Bush again.       

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2008, 12:13:28 PM »
Excellent post, BSB.  A little whiff of reality for our torture enthusiasts, some of whom appear to be sorely in need of it.   Torture’s a tactic - - like bullying or seduction, albeit the most reprehensible tactic available.   Like any tactic, sometimes it works, sometimes not.  The issue of torture isn’t really whether it “works” or not, any more than the issue of crime is whether it pays or not.

I’ve followed this thread with interest and it seems the best argument that the pro-torture side can muster is the old “ends justify the means” stuff - - the “terrorist” outrage narrowly averted by the timely application of the blowtorch to the soles of some poor bugger’s feet.

The argument is usually embellished by (a) magnifying the horror of the “catastrophe” to be averted and/or (b) demonizing the poor bugger whose soles are being blowtorched. 

Consider that:
1.  There is no historical record of any major catastrophe having been averted by information gained from torture;
2.  Among the duly demonized torture victims there would have to be a broad spectrum of evil or culpability, from the guy holding up Daniel Pearl’s severed head to the sympathizer who let a couple of fugitives hole up on his dad’s farm for a couple of days;
3.  Many torture victims, whether good guys or bad guys, just don’t have the information to give to their torturers, whether they want to or not;
4.  Some torture victims will take their secrets through torture to the grave, or better yet, produce misleading information that when acted upon will actually damage the torturers’ cause;
5.  Some unknown percentage of torture victims are just innocent people caught in the wrong place at the wrong time, often “sold” to the Americans because of personal feuds between neighbours or named by other torture victims in sheer desperation.

Of course, despite all of the above, torture can work in breaking up or at least temporarily disrupting Resistance networks, plots, underground movements, etc.  It’s not totally useless.  Just ask any former Gestapo agent. 

In the end, torture is the measure of the man and the nation.   One either practices torture or does not.  In either case, enemies will still strike, catastrophes will still occur.   The difference that torture will make is noted only in the good name of the individual or the nation.  The individual torturers, of course, as they have since time immemorial, will continue to hide their faces and deny their deeds.  No welcome-home parades for them, unless the day comes when the nation is willing to honour anonymous men in black masks riding up Main Street in convertibles, waving their cattle prods at the cheering throngs.  Nations don’t have that luxury - - they initially deny, then blame it all on “a few bad apples,” and when finally forced to admit what they have done, resort to the kinds of justification that we’ve seen in this thread, perhaps a little less hysterically - - but no amount of justification changes anything, the stain is permanent, the moral rot irreversible.

Torture as a tactic is a mark of desperation and worse yet, it’s the mark of a loser.  Regimes that torture earn the revulsion of mankind, at least the decent portion of mankind, those that know right from wrong, and in the end - - they fail as Hitler and Mussolini failed, not because torture didn’t work but because their evil was demonstrated unambiguously for the entire world (including their own citizens) to see. Nothing can save them. 

I’m more than happy to note that for the U.S.A., the writing is already on the wall, the collapse already underway.  They deserve it.

richpo64

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2008, 12:16:21 PM »
>>Excellent post, BSB.  A little whiff of reality for our torture enthusiasts, some of whom appear to be sorely in need of it.<<

Give it your best shot dipshit.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2008, 05:45:18 PM »
I wonder how many here have seen the results of torture? How many here have seen an enemy soldier come out of an interrogation with his head swollen to the size of a soccer ball, and then die an hour later?

I wonder how many here know soldiers who have had to live with being involved in an interrogation session that got out of hand? How many here know soldiers who are still haunted by this sort of thing 43 years after the fact? 

I wonder how many of you here know what being "mean" durring a Q&A with the enemy is really all about?

I wonder if any of you had actualy seen this kind of thing up close and personal you'd still be so gung-ho about it?

Leave it to the spooks. Never allow soldiers to get involved in any questionable interrogation techniques. Always hope your President speaks out against it, strongly. Always hope you never have a President like GW Bush again.       

I am not a first hand witness , and I asm glad that torture is rare enough that we can discuss the controversy withought getting some.

Are you really thinking carefully to accuse GWB this way?

If you are a witness to such an incident , who was president when you witnessed it?

To beat someone to the point of permanant injury or fatal injury is precicely what President Bush and Vice President Cheny ruled against, under this administration a few guys caught doing that sort of thing have been locked up.

It was very likely less risky to torture a prisoner when FDR ,Eisenhour or Kennedy or Nixon were President , as far as I know , these presidents didn't produce a list of prohibited practices as Bush did.

Carter attempted to institute a zero tolerance policy and have no torture at all, I don't think he was as effective in his total restriction as Bush was with his partial one . I don't recall how many persons ever got proscicuted for such infractions while Carter was President.

Haveing no proscicutions for Prostitution would convince no one that the practice was not takeing place , but with Torture out of sight has really ment out of mind.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2008, 08:03:53 PM »
Carter attempted to institute a zero tolerance policy and have no torture at all, I don't think he was as effective in his total restriction as Bush was with his partial one . I don't recall how many persons ever got proscicuted for such infractions while Carter was President.

================================
There were no wars during Carter's term, unless you count the Desert One rescue plan.
If there was no torture during Carter's term, then it stands to reason that there were no prosecutions for it, either.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2008, 10:08:06 PM »
Carter attempted to institute a zero tolerance policy and have no torture at all, I don't think he was as effective in his total restriction as Bush was with his partial one . I don't recall how many persons ever got prosecuted for such infractions while Carter was President.

================================
There were no wars during Carter's term, unless you count the Desert One rescue plan.
If there was no torture during Carter's term, then it stands to reason that there were no prosecutions for it, either.

How then are there prosecutions during the Bush administration?

How do you know thatthere were no torture incidents? What was Carter trying to forbid?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2008, 10:30:12 PM »
How do you know thatthere were no torture incidents? What was Carter trying to forbid?

Apparently, Carter was not only trying to prevent torture, but also succeeded.

If you know of any incidents in his administrations, say so.

Innocent until proven guilty is the usual standard

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2008, 04:39:13 PM »

Apparently, Carter was not only trying to prevent torture, but also succeeded.

If you know of any incidents in his administrations, say so.

Innocent until proven guilty is the usual standard

I am quite suspicious of this.

It is like the homeless problem , very serious the very day a Republican is elected , disapears as soon as a Democrat is elected.

The CIA probly has a bigger problem with takeing prisoners than the ordinary military , the CIA is constantly breaking the law as a part of its business, if it has a prisoner does it have a standard of care?

BsB apparently knows of a case that certainly occured before Bush was elected , so what did Bush ever do but draw a limit ? This far , no further.

What do we know of the previous limit? This is not a subject that is uniformly well known , subject to bright light and transparency. If Bush set a new limit , what was the situation before the limit was set?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2008, 04:45:20 PM »
Bush set a new limit , what was the situation before the limit was set?

The limit was in an Amry manual. Rumsfeld changed the limit.

Again, I do not think that torture was ever authorized by Carter.
After the Church hearings in the late 1970's, torture was outlawed.

Rumsfeld and Cheney publicly stated that they were setting newer, harsher limits. This was followed by a lot of debate about how this was unworthy of the US, the military and the CIA.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2008, 04:50:39 PM »
Bush set a new limit , what was the situation before the limit was set?

The limit was in an Amry manual. Rumsfeld changed the limit.

Again, I do not think that torture was ever authorized by Carter.
After the Church hearings in the late 1970's, torture was outlawed.

Rumsfeld and Cheney publicly stated that they were setting newer, harsher limits. This was followed by a lot of debate about how this was unworthy of the US, the military and the CIA.

Who said the new limit was harsher than the previous ?

I thought the CIA presented a list of things they could do and Bush and Cheny crossed a lot off of the list.

Was that a wish list , or a list of experiences?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2008, 05:06:22 PM »
Who said the new limit was harsher than the previous ?

Rumsfeld, for one, announced this. Publicly, too.

They have been debating this for years.

After Abu Graib, they showed a memo from Rumsfeld requesting an even greater degree of brutality than that which had been approved. This has all been published extensively.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 05:08:33 PM by Xavier_Onassis »

BSB

« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2008, 01:25:52 PM »
Plane, XO anawered your questions nicely. However, to reiterate, no one in LBJ's administration went around waxing poetic about the vurtues of torture like those in the Bush administration did. Most of what went on at Abu Graib was sanctioned by Bush's Secratery of Defense. What I witnessed, after the fact, in Vietnam was not sanctioned by McNamara, and the one American involved in that interrogation/beating went to prison.

So, am I thinking clearly about Bush? I believe I am. The question is, how clearly was he thinking? I suspect not very.     

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2008, 06:44:04 AM »
Plane, XO anawered your questions nicely. However, to reiterate, no one in LBJ's administration went around waxing poetic about the vurtues of torture like those in the Bush administration did. Most of what went on at Abu Graib was sanctioned by Bush's Secratery of Defense. What I witnessed, after the fact, in Vietnam was not sanctioned by McNamara, and the one American involved in that interrogation/beating went to prison.

So, am I thinking clearly about Bush? I believe I am. The question is, how clearly was he thinking? I suspect not very.     

I don't think that " waxing poetic about the vurtues of torture " is a good description of what happened , nor were the Abu Graib incidents unpunished.

What Bush actually did was set some limits.