Author Topic: Iranian to be blinded with acid for doing same to woman  (Read 5803 times)

Henny

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Iranian to be blinded with acid for doing same to woman
« on: December 15, 2008, 10:12:39 AM »
That's a harsh sentence! But I have to say, despite the brutality of it, at least they're taking a crime against a woman seriously. And then the jerk had the nerve to say he's still marry her and consider it compensation for his crime? Ugh.

TEHRAN, Iran (CNN) -- An Iranian woman, blinded by a jilted stalker who threw acid in her face, has persuaded a court to sentence him to be blinded with acid himself under Islamic law demanding an eye for an eye.

Ameneh Bahrami refused to accept "blood money." She insisted instead that her attacker suffer a fate similar to her own "so people like him would realize they do not have the right to throw acid in girls' faces," she told the Tehran Provincial Court.

Her attacker, a 27-year-old man identified in court papers as Majid, admitted throwing acid in her face in November 2004, blinding and disfiguring her. He said he loved her and insisted she loved him as well.

He has until early this week to appeal the sentence.

Doctors say there is no chance Bahrami will recover her vision, despite repeated operations, including medical care in Spain partially paid for by Iran's reformist former president, Mohammed Khatami, who was in power when the attack took place.

Majid said he was still willing to marry Bahrami, but she ruled out the possibility and urged that he remain locked up.

"I am not willing to get blood money from the defendant, who is still thinking about destroying me and wants to take my eyes out," she told the court. "How could he pretend to be in love? If they let this guy go free, he will definitely kill me."

Bahrami told the court that Majid's mother had repeatedly tried to arrange a marriage between the two after Majid met Bahrami at university.

She rejected the offer, not even sure at first who the suitor was. Her friends told her he was a man who had once harassed her in class, leading to an argument between them.

But he refused to accept her rejection, she said, going to her workplace and threatening her.

Finally, she lied and told him she had married someone else and that "it would be better all around if he would leave [her] alone."

She told the court that she reported the conversation to police, saying he had threatened her with "burning for the rest of my life" -- but they said they could not act until a crime had been committed.

Two days later, on November 2, 2004, as she was walking home from work, she became aware of a man following her. She slowed, then stopped to let him pass.

"When the person came close, I realized that it was Majid," she said. "Everything happened in a second. He was holding a red container in his hand. He looked into my eyes for a second and threw the contents of the red container into my face."

Bahrami knew exactly what was happening, she said.

"At that moment, I saw in my mind the face of two sisters who years ago had the same thing happen to them. I thought, 'Oh, my God -- acid.' "

Passers-by tried to wash the acid off Bahrami, then took her to Labafinejad Hospital.

"They did everything possible for me," she said of the doctors and nurses there.

Then, one day, they asked her to sign papers allowing them to operate on her.

"I said, 'Do you want to take my eyes out?' The doctor cried and left."

They did want to remove her eyes surgically, she learned, for fear they would become infected, potentially leading to a fatal infection of her brain.

But she refused to allow it, both because she was not sure she could handle it psychologically, and because she thought her death would be easier for her family to bear.

"If I had died, my family would probably be sad for a year and mourn my death, and then they would get used to it," she told the court. "But now every day they look at me and see that I am slowly wasting away."

The three-judge panel ruled unanimously on November 26 that Majid should be blinded with acid and forced to pay compensation for the injuries to Bahrami's face, hands and body caused by the acid.

That was what she had demanded earlier in the trial. But she did not ask for his face to be disfigured, as hers was.

"Of course, only blind him and take his eyes, because I cannot behave the way he did and ask for acid to be thrown in his face," she said. "Because that would be [a] savage, barbaric act. Only take away his sight so that his eyes will become like mine. I am not saying this from a selfish motive. This is what society demands."

Attacking women and girls by throwing acid in their faces is sufficiently common in countries such as Bangladesh and Cambodia that groups have been formed to fight it. Human rights organizations have condemned the practice in Afghanistan and Pakistan. It is not clear how often such attacks take place in Iran.

Iran and Saudi Arabia are the only countries that consider eye-gouging to be a legitimate judicial punishment, Human Rights Watch has said.

Knutey

Re: Iranian to be blinded with acid for doing same to woman
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 11:42:37 AM »
This is the kind of thing that really excites the likes of xtian4lg. They would love to do this here. I can just see them puncturing the rear skull of an abortion doctor with glee.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 01:20:57 PM »
I see this differently
acid blinding as a way to marry her
it`s a calculated risk and he lost

richpo64

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2008, 02:36:12 PM »
Are you presenting this as a good thing? Is it supposed to disprove the barbaric nature of Sharia law?

the man should be punished, of course, but I don't see the punishment as being much different than the crime. Maybe it's better than our system. Perhaps it would be a better deterrent, but of course i wouldn't support such a thing here.

Henny

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008, 03:17:31 PM »
Are you presenting this as a good thing? Is it supposed to disprove the barbaric nature of Sharia law?

the man should be punished, of course, but I don't see the punishment as being much different than the crime. Maybe it's better than our system. Perhaps it would be a better deterrent, but of course i wouldn't support such a thing here.

No, it's not a good thing for certain. I did, however, have a major surge of feminism when reading that he would still be willing to marry her (what a guy!). And the main point I wanted to make is that regardless of the form of punishment, I'm glad that a horrific crime against a woman is being taken seriously in Iran.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2008, 04:38:14 PM »
The crime the guy was barbaric. But the Iranian government by repeating it, is also barbaric. Justice is about treating people fairly, it isn't about finding a rhyme for every crime.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2008, 05:41:07 PM »
Barbaric or not, the sentence is appropriate  and the guy deserves it.  He'd deserve it more if the victim insisted on also disfiguring him as she was disfigured.  Some kind of misguided charitable impulse led her to ask the court to go easier on him than he was on her, but the judges should not have indulged her.

People get away with all kinds of shit because there is no meaningful payback.  I tried to think of one good reason why this guy should not suffer the same fate as the girl he disfigured and blinded and you know what?  There isn't one.  After he's blinded and disfigured, he should spend the rest of his miserable life at hard labour in the worst prison in Iran.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2008, 05:50:24 PM »
again I`m of a different thought
if the girl agreed to marry him (I hope that`s not remotely possible) it would start a new dating trend if your intended wrongly don`t marry you.
you got the acid option to fix it.
I sound like I`m kidding ,but look at the facts .
it looks like he might of thought the acid would help his cause to get her to marry him.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2008, 05:57:36 PM »
Match up what the guy said, what he thought or claims to have thought and what he did.  Which do you think he should be punished for?

richpo64

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2008, 07:57:35 PM »
>>And the main point I wanted to make is that regardless of the form of punishment, I'm glad that a horrific crime against a woman is being taken seriously in Iran.<<

That's what i figured, I just wanted to be sure.

Is Iran stictly under Sharia law? I see the article says under Islamic law. I'm guessing they're the same thing.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2008, 09:13:34 PM »
I think not all of islam practice sharia
might be wrong

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2008, 09:22:38 PM »
The story goes that when asked about the harshness of his punishments, Draco said the death penalty was appropriate for stealing even so much as a cabbage. If there had been a worse penalty than death, Draco would gladly have applied it to greater crimes.

As a result of Draco's strict, unforgiving code, the adjective based on the name Draco -- draconian -- refers to penalties considered excessively severe.

"And Draco himself, they say, being asked why he made death the penalty for most offences, replied that in his opinion the lesser ones deserved it, and for the greater ones no heavier penalty could be found."

http://ancienthistory.about.com/cs/greecehellas1/a/cylonanddraco_3.htm

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2008, 09:38:12 PM »
Iran is a shiite state, not a sunni one. Sharia law is a sunni thing.

The laws practiced in Iran are a Shiite interpretation of Shia Islamic law.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2008, 09:58:04 PM »
<<The story goes that when asked about the harshness of his punishments, Draco said the death penalty was appropriate for stealing even so much as a cabbage. If there had been a worse penalty than death, Draco would gladly have applied it to greater crimes.>>

Somehow I get the feeling that stealing a cabbage is on a whole different level of criminality than throwing acid into a girl's face, blinding and disfiguring her.  But I guess for a die-hard cabbage lover . . .

Henny

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2008, 02:37:05 AM »
>>And the main point I wanted to make is that regardless of the form of punishment, I'm glad that a horrific crime against a woman is being taken seriously in Iran.<<

That's what i figured, I just wanted to be sure.

Is Iran stictly under Sharia law? I see the article says under Islamic law. I'm guessing they're the same thing.

Yes, they definitely are - most Islamic countries in the Middle East are to at least some extent. But different Muslim groups interpret differently, and Iran is really extreme in literal interpretations, much like Saudi Arabia.

Other countries do things a bit differently. In Jordan, for example, Sharia law is only used for family and domestic matters. (And only for Muslims; Christians are bound by Ecclesiastical Law and have their own special courts, however if there is a family issue between a Muslim and a Christian, Sharia Law trumps.) Civil law for everything else, including criminal offenses.