Author Topic: A Sign of Weakness  (Read 3005 times)

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
A Sign of Weakness
« on: March 01, 2010, 12:18:21 PM »
and stupidity

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/mar/01/barack-obama-told-to-quit-smoking

Barack Obama has had his first medical examination since becoming president. Photograph: Charles Dharapak/AP

Barack Obama is still struggling to kick smoking, according to his first medical examination since becoming president.

Obama is sensitive about his cigarette habit and tetchy with reporters who raise it. But after his 90-minute medical at the Navy hospital outside Washington yesterday morning, his doctors confirmed he had not yet managed to conquer the habit and suggested he "continue smoking cessation efforts".

The doctors said the president used medication to try to ease the pangs, they described it as "nicotine replacement therapy, self-use".

Obama promised Michelle when he embarked on his campaign to become president he would quit, at the time he said he was smoking about eight a day.

He told reporters last year he had quit but still had an occasional cigarette, without specifying how many.

His health was described as excellent and he does not have to return for another medical until 2012. Obama, who is 48, has 20-20 vision, weighs 179 llbs in his shoes and clothes, and requires little medication. Apart from the nicotine replacement, he uses a non-steroid anti-inflammatory medication associated with physical activity: he regularly plays basketball at the White House.

The doctors also recommended "moderation of alcohol intake".

Note: His daddy was an alcoholic and died as a result so addiction runs in the family.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: A Sign of Weakness
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 01:51:43 PM »
most likely the method is to blame.

most people I know quit by the weening method and they never looked back.

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 02:08:24 PM »
most likely the method is to blame.

I know many people that have quit smoking COLD TURKEY. I see it this way if everyday run of the mill people are able to quit cold turkey then our president should be strong enough to do it too. I understand that some people can't quit cold turkey but they would be weak, undisciplined, and flawed (somebody not of presidential material) but surely an individual unique, smart, and strong enough to be our president would be of caliber to overcome a smoking addiction, right? Our president, a man that comes face to face with world leaders, a leader that makes life and death decisions for over 300 million citizens. What kind of message is Obama sending to our youth by publicly being addicted to smokes?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 02:09:55 PM by Kramer »

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 02:29:46 PM »
Fidel Castro gave up cigar smoking in order to set an example for Cuban youth.

I guess that makes him a better man than Obama, right, Kramer?

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 02:34:48 PM »

Cold turkey, 21 years ago last month.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 02:34:56 PM »
Fidel Castro gave up cigar smoking in order to set an example for Cuban youth.

I guess that makes him a better man than Obama, right, Kramer?

not only that but Fidel has been upfront & honest about his agenda

so mike would you agree that somebody exceptional enough to be president of the USA should be able to quit smoking cold turkey, after all it's not uncommon for people to quit without drugs or other props?

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 02:38:29 PM »
I don`t know anyone who did cold turkey and not relapsed.

the thing is at 8 sticks a day ,if he did the weening method he would of been finished.

the nicotine thing only address parts of the problem.

ami the 1st I know it works
good going

I quit by smoking a carton in a day and still get a sick feeling when I see a pack

a semi clockwork orange method

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2010, 02:38:46 PM »

Cold turkey, 21 years ago last month.

well, I started smoking at about 15 years of age and woke up one day when I was about 19 and quit. granted I didn't smoke for 20 years only about 4 but still I remember it wasn't easy; I guess I was sorted addicted to some degree. I remember my father smoked from about 13 to 40 and he quit cold turkey too.

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2010, 02:41:00 PM »
I don`t know anyone who did cold turkey and not relapsed.

the thing is at 8 sticks a day ,if he did the weening method he would of been finished.

the nicotine thing only address parts of the problem.

ami the 1st I know it works
good going

I quit by smoking a carton in a day and still get a sick feeling when I see a pack

a semi clockwork orange method

you should be our president. I'd vote for you.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2010, 02:52:24 PM »
really really bad idea

I`m pro-random summary executions.

meaning I`m willing to execute a random person off the streets just to get people to work.

this is the reason i gave up security full-time and worked with xerox.

I should not be allow to be a supervisor in any capacity.

my brother used to work for me, he still gets the shivers thinking about it.

marshall law will be happen if  I`m president.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2010, 03:02:48 PM »
I don't think that there is any way for some people to quit smoking except for just quitting. Sure, when you do this, you get some relapses, but it does work at least for some people. That is how I did it, after smoking for 26 years. The worst things about smoking are (a) it is addictive and (b) it makes you cough. The only good think is a feeling of dizziness for about a minute after the first smoke of the day. I imitated this by whirling around every morning for about a week, after which it started to feel silly and I quit. But then there is the deal that you want to be doing something with your hands, and coffee made me want to smoke, so I gave up coffee and switched to tea.

I think I had about three relapses of maybe three or four days each before I finally managed to stop. After two weeks, tobacco smelled awful to me and it was easier after that.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2010, 03:09:53 PM »
I don't think that there is any way for some people to quit smoking except for just quitting. Sure, when you do this, you get some relapses, but it does work at least for some people. That is how I did it, after smoking for 26 years. The worst things about smoking are (a) it is addictive and (b) it makes you cough. The only good think is a feeling of dizziness for about a minute after the first smoke of the day. I imitated this by whirling around every morning for about a week, after which it started to feel silly and I quit. But then there is the deal that you want to be doing something with your hands, and coffee made me want to smoke, so I gave up coffee and switched to tea.

I think I had about three relapses of maybe three or four days each before I finally managed to stop. After two weeks, tobacco smelled awful to me and it was easier after that.

well when I say "cold turkey" that is pretty much what I had in mind.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2010, 03:13:26 PM »
that`s like me and salt

after along while of avoiding salty foods.
food taste salty to me now.

I rarely need to add it on any foods, I don`t even use soysauce.

the only exception is soups.

I flinch when I see people just almost pouring salt on thier food.

but then people think my food is bland

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2010, 03:15:24 PM »
I don't think that 'cold turkey' will be the BEST way to quit for everyone, but it might be the best way for most. There are a variety of Rx drugs that can work pretty well, I understand.

Using a pill called "Bantron" I managed to quit for almost a year once. Then I stared dating a chain smoker. Bad move. Buy the time I finally quit, Bantron had been taken off the market.
It made cigarettes taste perfectly awful, as I recall.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2010, 03:26:20 PM »
<<so mike would you agree that somebody exceptional enough to be president of the USA should be able to quit smoking cold turkey, after all it's not uncommon for people to quit without drugs or other props?>>

Sure he  SHOULD be able to quit cold turkey.  I'm not sure why he doesn't.