Author Topic: Buddha on PBS  (Read 1440 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Buddha on PBS
« on: April 06, 2010, 12:24:29 AM »

BSB

Re: Buddha on PBS
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 12:56:43 AM »
I've been looking forward to it for several weeks now. I'll write a report on it.

BSB

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 01:07:22 AM »
I saw this announced. Most PBS specials are pretty good, and I will be watching it.
The one they ran on American Experience about the Mormons was somewhat incomplete, but contained no untruths.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

BSB

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 01:19:27 AM »
Yeah, I saw the Mormon piece tonight, XO. I don't know enough about Mormonism to comment on it.

BSB

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 11:34:31 AM »
I saw this announced. Most PBS specials are pretty good, and I will be watching it.
The one they ran on American Experience about the Mormons was somewhat incomplete, but contained no untruths.

the only way you would know for sure is if you are Mormon. Are you?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 02:15:22 PM »
I am not a Mormon, but being as Joseph Smith was held prisoner in my hometown jail in Missouri, and my father was the president of the local historical association and we had a lot of conversations with Mormon elders when they built a large monument around the old city jail, I know more about the Mormons than most people, perhaps most Mormons. It is hardly necessary to belong to an organization to know about it, and in every organization there are many who are not all that interested in the history, either.

Specifically, there was no mention of a man who wrote what he called a "Biblical fantasy" and loaned the manuscript to Joseph Smith, after which it vanished, and Smith began transcribing the Book of Mormon from the gold plates revealed to him by the Angel Moroni. Then the author of the manuscript died, and the only COPY of his manuscript was stolen from his widow shortly after death.

Joseph Smith the Prophet claimed that he translated "ancient Chaldean" to something like King James English with a couple of magical lenses called Urum and Thummin and a seer stone. The LDS Church calls this a miracle, which seems about the only thing other than "fraud" one could call it. The series did say the following: that Smith was either a true prophet or a charlatan. There is a second episode that they might show tonight, or perhaps next week about contemporary Mormonism. South Park did a show on Mormons (Trey Parker is/was a Mormon).

There were a number of people who decided to try their hand at writing fantasy holy books in King James prose in the 1830's. I suppose that this was because the Bible was often the only book in most people's homes. There is another called "The Book of the Law of the Lord" that a fellow sent me long ago on a disk. Pretty difficult reading, really.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 03:12:09 PM »
good plates?

I got the story about the hyroglyphs on a stone egg and special glasses to read them

moroni still the same

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 06:35:32 PM »
Mormons do not refer to the Book of Mormon very often...certainly not as Jewish rabbis refer to the Torah or Christians (especially Protestants) refer to the New Testament. The main gist of it is that God and Jesus are now divine, but were once men who were changed through good living into divinities, and that the Lost Tribes of Israel (normally thought to have simply been converted after having been spirited away to Persia) actually migrated to North America, and divided into two warring tribes. Smith also claimed that the Garden of Eden was in Missouri, not far from Kansas City, which seems a tad chilly to be a paradise in the winter to me. My Dad helped the Mormons erect a roadside marker at that site (The Mormons paid all the costs for the monument, my Dad helped them for free).

Dad was also there when they disinterred Jesse James and sampled his DNA. It turns out that that the body was really related to the James family, and that the old coot in Oklahoma who claimed to be 125 years old in the 1960's and was really Jesse, wasn't related to the James family. Whether he was 125 years old is unlikely.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 06:38:41 PM by Xavier_Onassis »

BSB

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2010, 11:16:13 PM »
Plane asks, "insightfull or explotive"?

Insightful. They did a good job.

BSB

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2010, 12:21:28 AM »
Plane asks, "insightfull or explotive"?

Insightful. They did a good job.

BSB

I believe plane said "exploitive"

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2010, 12:34:05 AM »
I am not a Mormon, but being as Joseph Smith was held prisoner in my hometown jail in Missouri, and my father was the president of the local historical association and we had a lot of conversations with Mormon elders when they built a large monument around the old city jail, I know more about the Mormons than most people, perhaps most Mormons. It is hardly necessary to belong to an organization to know about it, and in every organization there are many who are not all that interested in the history, either.

Specifically, there was no mention of a man who wrote what he called a "Biblical fantasy" and loaned the manuscript to Joseph Smith, after which it vanished, and Smith began transcribing the Book of Mormon from the gold plates revealed to him by the Angel Moroni. Then the author of the manuscript died, and the only COPY of his manuscript was stolen from his widow shortly after death.

Joseph Smith the Prophet claimed that he translated "ancient Chaldean" to something like King James English with a couple of magical lenses called Urum and Thummin and a seer stone. The LDS Church calls this a miracle, which seems about the only thing other than "fraud" one could call it. The series did say the following: that Smith was either a true prophet or a charlatan. There is a second episode that they might show tonight, or perhaps next week about contemporary Mormonism. South Park did a show on Mormons (Trey Parker is/was a Mormon).

There were a number of people who decided to try their hand at writing fantasy holy books in King James prose in the 1830's. I suppose that this was because the Bible was often the only book in most people's homes. There is another called "The Book of the Law of the Lord" that a fellow sent me long ago on a disk. Pretty difficult reading, really.

You and Hillary think alike. She thought because her husband was president that she could be too.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2010, 01:37:13 AM »

You and Hillary think alike. She thought because her husband was president that she could be too.

===========================================================================

I fail to see what that has to do with the discussion at hand. I was just talking about Mormon history and how it relates to a program I saw. I do not presume to be a Mormon. I am sure that Stray Pooch could give a different perspective.

I think Hillary would be a good president. Better than McCain or Palin, anyway.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2010, 01:46:45 AM »

You and Hillary do think alike.

I think Hillary is too eager to stomp on people who may be in her way , she has no respect for the little guy.

(You know I am talking about travelgate don't you ?)

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2010, 01:59:16 AM »

You and Hillary do think alike.

I think Hillary is too eager to stomp on people who may be in her way , she has no respect for the little guy.

(You know I am talking about travelgate don't you ?)

oh yes I remember Travelagate. How sad what she did.