Author Topic: American Legion calls for Rangel to apologize to the troops  (Read 2318 times)

R.R.

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
American Legion calls for Rangel to apologize to the troops
« on: November 27, 2006, 11:42:45 PM »
American Legion to Congressman Rangel: Apologize Now

WASHINGTON, Nov. 27 /U.S. Newswire/ -- The National Commander of The American Legion called on Rep. Charles Rangel (D-N.Y.) to apologize for suggesting that American troops would not choose to fight in Iraq if they had other employment options.

"Our military is the most skilled, best-trained all-volunteer force on the planet," said National Commander Paul A. Morin. "Like that recently espoused by Sen. John Kerry, Congressman Rangel's view of our troops couldn't be further from the truth and is possibly skewed by his political opposition to the war in Iraq."

According to Rangel, "If a young fellow has an option of having a decent career, or joining the Army to fight in Iraq, you can bet your life that he would not be in Iraq. If there's anyone who believes these youngsters want to fight, as the Pentagon and some generals have said, you can just forget about it. No bright young individual wants to fight just because of a bonus and just because of some educational benefits," Rangel said.

Rangel was responding to a question during an interview yesterday on Fox News Sunday about a recent study by the Heritage Foundation which found that those enlisting in the military tend to be better educated than the general public and that military recruiting seems to be more successful in middle-class and wealthy neighborhoods than in poor ones.

According to the study, 97 percent of military enlistees were high school graduates versus 80 percent of Americans in general. The study also concludes that the average reading level of military personnel is a full grade level higher than that of the general population.

"I'm not sure I understand what is unfair about letting adults make their own career choices," Morin said as he visited troops in Korea this week. "Troops serving today have a higher education level than the overall population. Why another member of Congress is insulting our troops' commitment and education level is beyond me."

Morin said the American Legion applauds and appreciates the great sacrifices of those who serve -- many of whom have put civilian careers aside, college on hold or given up high paying jobs to enlist.

More and more troops say it's duty and honor before college fund that motivated them to join. Recruiting numbers have been met this year, but more importantly, servicemembers are reenlisting so retention within the armed forces is great, Morin explained. Not everyone holds the view that we should wait to be attacked again as a nation.

"These brave men and women lay it on the line every day for each and every one of us, for which I am very grateful," Morin said. "Their selfless commitment for the betterment of our world from radical extremists is beyond commendable. It's time for members of Congress to stop insulting our troops.

"While the American Legion shares the congressman's appreciation for education, the troops in Iraq represent the most sophisticated, technologically superior military that the world has ever seen," Morin said. "I call on Congressman Rangel to not only apologize to our troops but to also fight for pay increases and make significant improvements to the current GI Bill -- reserves and guard included, as he prepares for a party chairmanship in the 110th Congress."

http://releases.usnewswire.com/GetRelease.asp?id=76761

Mucho

Re: American Legion calls for Rangel to apologize to the troops
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2006, 11:52:08 PM »
Charley probabl wont apologize since he really said nothing wrong. But I bet he does support pay & benefit increases for servicemen many of whom are his constituents.

R.R.

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2006, 12:22:24 AM »
Charley probabl wont apologize since he really said nothing wrong.

Rangel said a boneheaded comment about our troops, just like John Kerry did. Rangel should apologize for it. I don't know if these Dems have contempt for the men and women in uniform, but their condescending remarks about them seem to indicate it.

yellow_crane

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2006, 03:17:19 AM »
The rule in the American Legion is that, if you get elected grand kleagle, you got to stay sober for the press.

It may not sound like a big sacrifice, but it is, considering that you are the only sober Legionaire in the entire US at that particular time.

I was in one one time where they had john phillip sousa on the juke box.  It was a sight to behold, nineteen ribboned and bedeckled burnouts, drunk to the gills, swaying to Sousa. 

Were they ever to rise beyond pure jingo drama, an extended tragic bonechewing might remind one of all those things of which Eugene O'Neill lamented--they have the same timbre as those waiting for the Iceman.

Rangle ought to just ignore these boys, as does anybody who starts to hear a lot of repeating.

They are always dependable and predictable, willing to cheer any current war for any current president, no questions asked.  They are warmonger supporters always on call.

And they always drag them out, all scrubbed up, when the war in question seems to plummet in the polls.   Poor bastards, getting used that way, like the christians who get used by those who, ultimately, believe them to be--and refer to them as--"nuts."

What the American Legion OUGHT to be doing in decrying the way the soldiers in the Iraq War are treated, both during their service and back at home, by the current bushel of nuts in the White House who lit this imperialistic bonfire.

Instead, they sit in a stupor with a chain around their neck, waiting for it to be pulled.

It is embarassing how they exist in blighted boozery, pretending all the while that they have some religious calibre right to deference, a common victim's plight.

Were I King, I'd pull their plug, and give them other areas to get their head right which extended beyond one long binge. 

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2006, 03:27:07 AM »
What the American Legion OUGHT to be doing in decrying the way the soldiers in the Iraq War are treated, both during their service and back at home, by the current bushel of nuts in the White House who lit this imperialistic bonfire.

I was at the VA today and will be again in the AM. You want to expand on how these vets are being mistreated, because i am not seeing it.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2006, 09:01:28 AM »
Mistreated?  I think the gist of the post was that they're a bunch of alcoholic losers who are exploited for pro-war purposes whenever a public starts to sour on the war, who drastically need to find some other form of dealing with their mental problems than  untreated alcoholism.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Doan' need no steenkin' apologies!
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2006, 10:22:20 AM »
What is it with this apology crap?

It's a free country. People have a right to say whatever the poo they want.

No one died as a result of anything Rangel said.

Has ex-National Security Advisoress Condi ever apologized for screwing up about 9-11?

Has Rummy apologized yet for saying that the Iraq War would be over in six months?

Has Juniorbush ever apologized to the relatives of those killed in his stupid war, or the maimed, or the 600,000 Iraqis?

Give us a break.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2006, 12:12:04 PM »
Crane made a statement that the vets are mistreated here at home. I would like him to expand on that. I haven't seen it.

And what the vets do at the American Legion is their business. If they want to drink that is what the bar is for.

Mucho

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2006, 12:26:00 PM »
Charley probabl wont apologize since he really said nothing wrong.

Rangel said a boneheaded comment about our troops, just like John Kerry did. Rangel should apologize for it. I don't know if these Dems have contempt for the men and women in uniform, but their condescending remarks about them seem to indicate it.

You must really stop smoking that funny weed. It makes you paranoid & crazy. Charlie gave his opinion which is fair. He didnt blow a punchline or do anything untoward.  People that willinly join the military during an immoral wat are probably stupid and/or immoral themselves. I am sure Charley & most other liberals  woudnt agree with me about that , but a variety of opinions is what makes this country great in spite of what you  militaristic fascists hallucinate.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2006, 12:33:49 PM by Mucho »

fatman

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2006, 01:00:05 PM »
Besides the obvious fact that Rangel is looking for the requisite attention that all of our elected officials seem to seek, there isn't really much to this proposal of his.  Joe and Susan Homebody probably aren't going to be thrilled when little Johnny (or Bessie?) gets his/her draft letter.  A country that is increasingly souring on the Iraq War/Action/Whatever is going to have a major reaction to any kind of proposal to conscript their children to fight it.  This move by Rangel could potentially backfire, rather than reach its intended consequence of souring even more people on the war.

Also, I recall reading a proposal from another of our elected officials about making mandatory a one year service period for all of our children, though not necessarily in the military.  I think that this could be a good thing, and improve conditions here at home and abroad.  Something to get people outside and doing something.  Is it any wonder that our trade unions are dying, as more and more graduates want an inside job staring at a computer screen, rather than dirty and demanding jobs such as welding, plumbing, farming, etc?  This could be tied to the whole immigration debate (increased enrollment in trade and technical programs could help stop the influx of illegal labor into these sectors) but to be honest, I don't have the energy for that right now  :)