Author Topic: Obama lawyers want the military to continue to bar openly gay people!  (Read 12575 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Obama lawyers want the military to continue to bar openly gay people!
« Reply #75 on: November 22, 2010, 07:25:14 PM »
I just said that any problems with showering would hardly present any unsurmountable problems, and suggested an easy solution.

We are entering the era of mechanized and robotic warfare. Fighter planes are pretty much obsolete: they go too fast, and other countries have no comparable planes to challenge them.  New weapons, robotic drones are sure to make huge lumbering things like carriers obsolete.

The Navy has not been all that useful in defending this country, as we seem to be picking enemy countries that have no coastline of late. I am sure it makes the sailors happy to feel that they are defending us from invasion by sea, but they have not actually done that for the past 60 years.

Had the US never gotten involved in Vietnam, everyone concerned would be better off, except for those who make the arms and ammo. And 58,000 Americans and millions of Vietnamese, Laotians and Cambodians would be alive today. No one defended US free speech or representative government or anything else in Vietnam.

I am pretty sure that the same will turn out from the Iraq and Afghanistan wars as well.

Sorry but the Navy is what I am best breifed on reguarding liveing conditions.

Washrooms are only one problem and anyone could solve such a problem in isolation , but it is representative of a plethera of problems that interrelate.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #76 on: November 23, 2010, 12:44:40 PM »
I am sure we have people in the Navy clever enough to deal with any problem that should arise.

The best use for a Navy these days seems to be preventing piracy and providing disaster relief. Navies are becoming more and more like cavalries: ornamental rather than truly useful.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #77 on: November 23, 2010, 02:13:36 PM »
don`t forget space travel

remember kirk is an admiral, I forgot how the navy translate well for space.

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
« Reply #78 on: November 23, 2010, 03:31:57 PM »
Navies are becoming more and more like cavalries: ornamental rather than truly useful.

US Navy carrier-based aircraft flew more than 7,000 sorties in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom,
provided valuable intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance of the battlefield in support of ground
and sea assets. US Navy jets provided close-air support for the Marines and soldiers in Baghdad
and countless other places in Iraq. US Navy Sealift ships brought in military equipment to support ground
and air missions. Other Navy ships used their advanced radar systems to augment the shore-based Patriot
missile batteries, providing advanced warning of incoming Iraqi missiles. U.S. and United Kingdom ships
fired more than 800 Tomahawk missiles toward Saddam-regime targets. U.S. and British naval forces
also conducted a significant, comprehensive mine-clearing effort to ensure that waterways to the
Iraqi ports were open for the delivery of humanitarian aid to the people of Iraq. The USNS Comfort
hospital ship in the Arabian Sea provided critical medical care for our wounded.
"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #79 on: November 23, 2010, 04:01:30 PM »
cavalries

didn`t the afghans use horses?

not really sure the cavalry is useless today.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #80 on: November 23, 2010, 11:08:59 PM »

==========================================
Kirk is a fantasy character in a sci-fi series.

When we have warp drive, perhaps a teensy portion of the Navy might make it into space.

In the days of unmanned kamikaze drones, Carriers and their support groups, as well as the planes they carry, become obsolete.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #81 on: November 23, 2010, 11:48:24 PM »
I am sure we have people in the Navy clever enough to deal with any problem that should arise.

Sure we do, and you would ignore their opinion about the best solution and force them to accept your solution.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #82 on: November 23, 2010, 11:56:04 PM »

==========================================
Kirk is a fantasy character in a sci-fi series.

When we have warp drive, perhaps a teensy portion of the Navy might make it into space.

In the days of unmanned kamikaze drones, Carriers and their support groups, as well as the planes they carry, become obsolete.

Manned Kamakazis didn't manage this why should unmanned?

Check out the vulcan phalanx  Mk 15 Vulcan Phalanx CIWS

every carrier has these.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #83 on: November 23, 2010, 11:59:51 PM »
the line between fiction and science is alittle blurry at times. quite abit of our tech is influence by it(cell phones) terms even(lightspeed,neutrinos)

kirk may not real but I`ll bet if space travel is possible the command section will have some familiar designs that would challenge function.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #84 on: November 24, 2010, 12:13:54 AM »
the line between fiction and science is alittle blurry at times. quite abit of our tech is influence by it(cell phones) terms even(lightspeed,neutrinos)

kirk may not real but I`ll bet if space travel is possible the command section will have some familiar designs that would challenge function.

Every crewman of the Enterprise had his own stateroom resembleing a hotel suite.

This is severely fiction, it will probly never become true.

On my ship the berthing compartment I slept in had thirty men on racks stacked four high.

This is an improvement on previous ships , and further improvement is expected , but individual space for crewmen will never be practical.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #85 on: November 24, 2010, 01:11:26 AM »

==================================================
Are you saying that a carrier cannot be destroyed by an unmanned drone?

I really doubt this.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #86 on: November 24, 2010, 01:32:11 AM »
I`ve read in a ben bova book that in the futre many ships command center will look like the enterprise.

on a long range travel on ships, it may require more creative use for the limited space.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #87 on: November 24, 2010, 02:00:08 AM »
I`ve read in a ben bova book that in the futre many ships command center will look like the enterprise.

on a long range travel on ships, it may require more creative use for the limited space.

Check out the Phegasus class patroll boat , or one of the Swath experimental craft.

http://www.swath.com/history.htm

Pegasus-class PHM hydrofoil[youtube]Pegasus-class PHM hydrofoil[/youtube]

Systems become more automatic and therefor require less personal attention and fewer personell. The smaller crews have more room and comfort on the ships, but haveing to subdevide the ship to accomodate sexual separations severely reverses this trend.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #88 on: November 24, 2010, 02:18:08 AM »

==================================================
Are you saying that a carrier cannot be destroyed by an unmanned drone?

I really doubt this.

The HMS Sheffeild was struck by an air launched Exocet missle , which is a cruse missle much as you imagine an unmanned drone to be. The result was not a sinking but a fire serious to make the ship unserviceable. The Sheffield was a lot smaller than a Carrier. There was a Carrier there too and the Exocets were also fired in its direction , no hits.

I think you are misreading me , Carriers can be sunk by a viriety of wepons , always could be , but you seem to be saying that a carrier can not be defended, few targets are nearly as well defended as are aircraft carriers.

In WWII manned Kamakazi attacks were devastating but insuficient to blunt our attacks , I don't think that robot attackers and smart bombs are smarter than human pilots yet.

Ultra quiet Submarines are another serious threat to Aircraft carriers , but the best defense against subs are aircraft so carriers are again defensable.

When two carriers are off the coast of North Korea , we will have present more air power than North Korea has entirely and we can replace them in rotation to prevent fatigue. North Korea is ultimately most vunerable to strong air power, a carrier group can blind defenders and ruin their ability to return fire.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #89 on: November 24, 2010, 12:18:41 PM »
What I mean is that a 22 bazillion dollar carrier can be knocked out by maybe only a couple of million dollars worth of drones.

Ships can be made more defensible, but they are by nature slow. There are few boats made that can attain the speed an '89 Hyundai Excel.

I see an end to DADT, nonetheless. I read where they are letting women on the crew of submarines now.
Women are smaller and you can fit more of them into tight quarters as a result. Perhaps we could have some all-woman subs. Or even all gay dwarf subs.