Author Topic: Coulter Said What?  (Read 54290 times)

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Coulter Said What?
« Reply #150 on: March 13, 2007, 08:55:42 PM »
I'm going off on a tangent, so be warned.

You know (or maybe you don't) how Newt Gingrich was married 1st to one of his high-school teachers, and told her he wanted a divorce while she was in the hospital recovering from cancer surgery.  He then married the person he'd been sleeping with, and divorced her when she came down with, I think, multiple sclerosis. Now he's married to the former aide, some 20 years his junior, who  he used to bang on his desk when he was in Congress, and he's asked forgiveness and gotten it from Falwell.  Plane, remind me again  how high and hard is the road Republicans must travel, they're such victims, yadda yadda yadda. 

Wimpy boy doesn't like women who get sick, can't deal with it, throws'em out like McDonald's wrappers.  So much trash.

What I think is funny is Molly Ivins' words to the newest Mrs. Gingrich: "Don't even cough until you're 40."  LOL

(I love Robin Williams' joke. Gay burglers, please come to my house.) 
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #151 on: March 13, 2007, 09:17:01 PM »
I had a longer post typed out, but I see little point in explaining for the umpteenth time that Coulter's comment was not offensive because it was a joke, but because it carried a pejorative meaning. If you don't get that by now, you're never going to get it. But there is something about which I am curious. Plane, where do you draw the line? If Coulter had said something like "I'd like to talk about Barack Obama, but the NAACP might not like it if I used the word 'nigger'," would you be telling me that was just Coulter saying Obama is black? How far would Coulter have to go before she made a joke that offended you, a joke that you would believe worthy of opprobrium?

“Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?”

“Easter is the day we celebrate Jesus rising from the dead, seeing his shadow and forecasting six more weeks of winter.”

Roman Soldier to Jesus: "Put your feet together, we're running out of nails."

http://dilbertblog.typepad.com/the_dilbert_blog/2007/01/inappropriate_h.html

a joke that Spike Milligan wrote for the Goon Show (which later morphed into the World's Funniest Joke [http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/5064020.stm]):

Bentine: I just came in and found him lying on the carpet there
Sellers: Oh, is he dead?
Bentine: I think so
Sellers: Hadn't you better make sure?
Bentine: Alright. Just a minute
(Sound of two gun shots)
Bentine: He's dead.

[][][][]][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
Jokes about death appeal to me , up to  point.

I consider myself quite tolerant but my limits can be overtoped , this is important when I am the audience .

When I am the presenter my own tolerance is much less important than the accuracy with which I assess the tolerance of the listener.

It is good to err on the safe side , no joke is so funny that it gets a laugh out of someone who is in pain from it.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #152 on: March 13, 2007, 09:27:16 PM »
I'm going off on a tangent, so be warned.

You know (or maybe you don't) how Newt Gingrich was married 1st to one of his high-school teachers, and told her he wanted a divorce while she was in the hospital recovering from cancer surgery.  He then married the person he'd been sleeping with, and divorced her when she came down with, I think, multiple sclerosis. Now he's married to the former aide, some 20 years his junior, who  he used to bang on his desk when he was in Congress, and he's asked forgiveness and gotten it from Falwell.  Plane, remind me again  how high and hard is the road Republicans must travel, they're such victims, yadda yadda yadda. 

Wimpy boy doesn't like women who get sick, can't deal with it, throws'em out like McDonald's wrappers.  So much trash.

What I think is funny is Molly Ivins' words to the newest Mrs. Gingrich: "Don't even cough until you're 40."  LOL

(I love Robin Williams' joke. Gay burglers, please come to my house.) 

I liked it too  , even though I am agast at the steriotypeing.

I don't like these particular facts about Newt Gingrich and there are simular facts aboutThomas Jefferson , Voltaire, Martin Luther King Jr. and Samuel Pepys whch I also do not like .

So should I feel Hypocritical if I read one of these authors and take them seriously ?

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #153 on: March 13, 2007, 09:51:12 PM »
".................. but I see little point in explaining for the umpteenth time that Coulter's comment was not offensive because it was a joke, but because it carried a pejorative meaning. .........."

Is "faggot" so prejoritive because it suggests homosexuality on the part of John Edwards?

I don't think you have "got" the joke yet.

Stray Pooch

• Pray tell me, sir, whose dog are you?
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #154 on: March 13, 2007, 10:39:55 PM »
"Faggot" is perjorative by definition - unless you think Ann was calling Edwards a cigarette.
Oh, for a muse of fire, that would ascend the brightest heaven of invention . . .

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #155 on: March 13, 2007, 10:46:26 PM »
"Faggot" is perjorative by definition - unless you think Ann was calling Edwards a cigarette.

By the standard of prejoritive that Ann Colter is accustomed to have leveled at her , is it especially bad?

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #156 on: March 13, 2007, 11:08:49 PM »

I consider myself quite tolerant but my limits can be overtoped , this is important when I am the audience .

When I am the presenter my own tolerance is much less important than the accuracy with which I assess the tolerance of the listener.

It is good to err on the safe side , no joke is so funny that it gets a laugh out of someone who is in pain from it.

That's nice. But you have sidestepped the questions. Again.

Plane, where do you draw the line? If Coulter had said something like "I'd like to talk about Barack Obama, but the NAACP might not like it if I used the word 'nigger'," would you be telling me that was just Coulter saying Obama is black? How far would Coulter have to go before she made a joke that offended you, a joke that you would believe worthy of opprobrium?
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #157 on: March 13, 2007, 11:15:39 PM »

Is "faggot" so prejoritive because it suggests homosexuality on the part of John Edwards?

No. It was a pejorative long before Ann Coulter heard it for the first time. Are you unaware that 'faggot' is a derogatory term?

Oh, I got the joke. I don't think you have though.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #158 on: March 13, 2007, 11:19:26 PM »

By the standard of prejoritive that Ann Colter is accustomed to have leveled at her , is it especially bad?

Why does that matter? Are you suggesting it's okay for Coulter to make bigoted comments because some people say mean things about her?

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #159 on: March 13, 2007, 11:20:28 PM »

That's nice. But you have sidestepped the questions. Again.

Plane, where do you draw the line? If Coulter had said something like "I'd like to talk about Barack Obama, but the NAACP might not like it if I used the word 'nigger'," would you be telling me that was just Coulter saying Obama is black? How far would Coulter have to go before she made a joke that offended you, a joke that you would believe worthy of opprobrium?

That is exactly the same joke  , but you are pointing out that the N is worse than the F.

I think that if she had told it this way, she would be  in rehab by now.

Neither of these comes close to  me,  so you might should ask about pejoratives that do.

My Southern Appalachian heritage has some negative appellations that can be sent up , I don't encourage their use except while smiling.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2007, 11:23:52 PM by Plane »

Stray Pooch

• Pray tell me, sir, whose dog are you?
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #160 on: March 13, 2007, 11:23:08 PM »
The nastiness that is thrown at Ann Coulter - both deserved and undeserved - is not the issue.  Coulter's comments were perjorative.  If Edwards has called her a Lesbian, Coulter's comments would still be perjorative.  They might be a tad more justified, but they would not be right.

Using the term "faggot" - like "nigger" - is a pretty big deal.  Calling Latter-Day Saints Mormons is also offensive, but it is a minor offense since we only prefer the proper term.  "Mormon" is derogatory, but it lacks the emotional impact that those other words have.

OTOH try calling a Muslim a "Mohammedan" and see how many steps you have left in this life.

Oh, for a muse of fire, that would ascend the brightest heaven of invention . . .

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #161 on: March 13, 2007, 11:27:44 PM »

Why does that matter? Are you suggesting it's okay for Coulter to make bigoted comments because some people say mean things about her?

Why yes , sause or the goose IS sauce for the gander.
Would you single one participant out of a food fight for opprobrium?

Unless she is first or worst what is the complaint?

This situation is not only quite even , it is makeing her and her opposite counterparts wealthy , her more than they because there are more of them to split that pot.

domer

« Reply #162 on: March 13, 2007, 11:30:57 PM »
Can we lighten up for Chrissakes? Very soon the guineas of New Jersey -- can you describe the Soprano crew otherwise? -- will be prowling HBO once again.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #163 on: March 13, 2007, 11:31:13 PM »

No. It was a pejorative long before Ann Coulter heard it for the first time. Are you unaware that 'faggot' is a derogatory term?

Oh, I got the joke. I don't think you have though.

I do not think that you got the joke , or parsed it well , mistakeing the minor for the major.
But unlike you I have been  wrong before and I know thereby what it is like.
This is like being right , .........(I think).

Universe Prince

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #164 on: March 13, 2007, 11:37:29 PM »

That is exactly the same joke  , but you are pointing out that the N is worse than the F.

I am pointing out no such thing. I am asking where do you draw the line. A question you have yet to answer.

I think that if she had told it this way, she would be  in rehab by now.

But would you be criticizing her or suggesting that her joke was somehow really about the NAACP?

Neither of these comes close to  me,  so you might should ask about pejoratives that do.

My Southern Appalachian heritage has some negative appellations that can be sent up , I don't encourage their use except while smiling.

So... Coulter would have to be making fun of you and/or your Southern Appalachian heritage directly before you would be offended? You're okay with people being bigoted and hateful, just so long as they're not talking about you? Is that what you're saying? Because that is what you appear to be saying. I hope you're not saying that, but it looks like you are.