Author Topic: GOP Congress is "tired"  (Read 3360 times)

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
GOP Congress is "tired"
« on: December 04, 2006, 12:35:42 PM »
Anyone who continually votes for these bastards must be feeling the utter depths of shame.  Your congress is leaving without doing its job.  I feel for you guys, I really do.

Our whiny, lazy, tired GOP warriors

By: Glenn Greenwald @ 2:31 PM - PST      Last month, Republican Rep. Mike Pence of Indiana explained why he voted in favor of the 2006 bill which legalized "coercive interrogation" and indefinite detention:

It is the solemn duty of this Congress and this President to make sure we do everything within our power to protect the American people.  The war on terror is not like any war America has fought be before . . . Such extremism demands that America do everything possible to stop it.

The same Rep. Pence, in The Washington Post today:

Congress will convene on Tuesday for what some fear will be the lamest of lame-duck sessions, and GOP leaders have decided to take a minimalist approach before turning over the reins of power to the Democrats. Rather than a final surge of legislative activity, Congress will probably wrap up things after a single, short week of work. . .

"There is a lot of battle fatigue among members, probably on both sides of the aisle," said Rep. Mike Pence (R-Ind.), usually a reliable conservative firebrand. "Contrary to popular belief, members of Congress are human beings. They have a certain shelf life and a certain amount of energy to be drawn on. We're tired."

This is why this strong, brave warrior — lecturing us how we must do "everything possible" to win the "War" — is so tired and "fatigued" and doesn't want to work any more:

Operating most weeks on a Tuesday-through-Thursday schedule, Congress is poised to finish this year with just 100 working days under its belt — the fewest since 1948, when then-President Harry Truman famously blasted what he called a "do-nothing Congress."

The year is likely to end with no final action on a number of major issues, including Social Security and immigration reform and tighter ethics standards for lawmakers. . . . This year, Congress will probably end up meeting for about 100 days — an average of about two days a week in return for a salary of $165,000.

http://www.crooksandliars.com/2006/12/03/our-whiny-lazy-tired-gop-warriors/

Mucho

Re: GOP Congress is "tired"
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2006, 12:44:29 PM »
Of course they are tired . Fucking things up as badly as they have is hard work!

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2006, 01:37:11 PM »
They are setting up the new dem majoprity to have to make and take responsibility for the hard decisions coming up.

Sounds like a decent plan.

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2006, 03:47:36 PM »
They are setting up the new dem majoprity to have to make and take responsibility for the hard decisions coming up.

Sounds like a decent plan.

Seeing as how they haven't done it for the last several years, I don't see how it is a plan.

Other than give tax breaks to corporations, what "hard decisions" have the outgoing (do nothing) congress made?  They wouldn't even go along with Bush's plan to gut SS like he wanted to and the way "small government" goopers have wanted for years.

They made the hard decision to intervene in the life of a dying (dead) woman and score some points with the fringe of their party.

They made the hard decision to endorse torture as an American standard.

They made the hard decision to give Bush more money to literally lose in Iraq.

They didn't make any hard decisions about immigration.  Or education.  Or the Kyoto Treaty.  Or New Orleans.

Pathetic losers that have done nothing but steal our money and give it to corporations that will offer them kickbacks in the form of cushy, do-nothing jobs as advisors and lobbyists mid-January '07.

I can't believe that you're still living under the assumption the American People aren't sick of "strategy" and are desperately looking for some substance.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2006, 04:08:43 PM »
I can't believe that you're still living under the assumption the American People aren't sick of "strategy" and are desperately looking for some substance.

Then I'm sure you are looking forward to the dem majority taking the reins. Understand K street has updated its mailing list.

Here's to the new boss.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2006, 05:02:08 PM »
Congress will convene on Tuesday for what some fear will be the lamest of lame-duck sessions, and GOP leaders have decided to take a minimalist approach before turning over the reins of power to the Democrats. Rather than a final surge of legislative activity, Congress will probably wrap up things after a single, short week of work. . .

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

Sounds like the polite thing to do.

Would you be happy to see a burst of frantic activity intended to produce a Republican platform for the Democrats to dissasemble?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2006, 05:07:30 PM »
Sounds like the polite thing to do.  Would you be happy to see a burst of frantic activity intended to produce a Republican platform for the Democrats to dissasemble?

Can you imagine the outrage by the left if they hurried legislation thru, only to see it recinded as soon as the GOP took over.  But you did hit the nail on the head, Plane.  The GOP seems to always thinks that if they simply act nice, be polite, they'll be seen as such by the dems and my the mainscream media, and in return be treated with similar politeness, if not civility & objectivity.  They're never going to learn, are they? 
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

terra

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2006, 05:23:08 PM »
Sounds like the polite thing to do.  Would you be happy to see a burst of frantic activity intended to produce a Republican platform for the Democrats to dissasemble?

Can you imagine the outrage by the left if they hurried legislation thru, only to see it recinded as soon as the GOP took over.  But you did hit the nail on the head, Plane.  The GOP seems to always thinks that if they simply act nice, be polite, they'll be seen as such by the dems and my the mainscream media, and in return be treated with similar politeness, if not civility & objectivity.  They're never going to learn, are they? 

Only one word...make that two....Horse Hocky.
It's like Bush said....It's hard, so hard. That is having a 2 day work week has been so hard for them. I mean how can they name all those fire houses and vote to give oil companies that make record profits an incentive...more money so that they can make MORE money. And why leave out the pharmo companies, I mean why should they have to compete for business,  that is what government is for...guarentee them business...well it is, isn't it?
And gee must not forget the time they saved on not  bothering with that little thing called oversight. What if it is part of the job discription....after all the president did not complain.

How can we expect those hard working folks to work more then all of 100 days a year... that is just tryanny.

terra

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2006, 05:39:10 PM »
I remember hard working Clinton , who established a rediculous number of national monuments as a lame duck , knowing that Republicans would have no choice but to recind a lot of them , and of course he was busy pardoning people like Marc Rich too ,the pardon auction was a busy time.

Terra would you really be pleased to see Republicans getting busy?

I wonder about that , I am myself hopeing that the Democrats take record setting vacations ," They govern best who govern least".

Mucho

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2006, 09:08:50 PM »
I remember hard working Clinton , who established a rediculous number of national monuments as a lame duck , knowing that Republicans would have no choice but to recind a lot of them , and of course he was busy pardoning people like Marc Rich too ,the pardon auction was a busy time.

Terra would you really be pleased to see Republicans getting busy?

I wonder about that , I am myself hopeing that the Democrats take record setting vacations ," They govern best who govern least".

I actually agree with this(wonder of wonders) Repubs  really only want to be elected to Congress to do nothing. It is what pleases their constituents. The only thing a Repub Congress is good for is keeping anyone who might do something worthwhile out and harass anyone else that might try to do something worthwhile like they did Bill Clinton.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2006, 02:12:44 AM by Mucho »

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2006, 02:03:11 AM »

Only one word...make that two....Horse Hocky.  It's like Bush said....It's hard, so hard. That is having a 2 day work week has been so hard for them. I mean how can they name all those fire houses and vote to give oil companies that make record profits an incentive...more money so that they can make MORE money. And why leave out the pharmo companies, I mean why should they have to compete for business,  that is what government is for...guarentee them business...well it is, isn't it?

No Terra, actually 1 word, Hypocrisy.  The idea that you and Dems would just sit back quietly, while a GOP majority recinded Dem action after Dem action after Dem action, of a lame duck Dem congress is the epitome of hypocrisy
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

R.R.

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2006, 04:38:44 AM »
"There is a lot of battle fatigue among members, probably on both sides of the aisle," said Rep. Mike Pence (R-Ind.), usually a reliable conservative firebrand. "Contrary to popular belief, members of Congress are human beings. They have a certain shelf life and a certain amount of energy to be drawn on. We're tired."

Jesus, push yourself. Show some enthusiasm. Cut some spending. Cut some taxes. This is pathetic.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2006, 04:32:35 PM »
Term limits don't look so bad now do they ?