Author Topic: Agent Orange anyone  (Read 1767 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Agent Orange anyone
« on: October 01, 2006, 12:53:11 AM »
http://news.yahoo.com/i/753;_ylt=ArAz4m0exdTJ3.HB7itUFSFH2ocA;_ylu=X3oDMTA2NWJlcmlsBHNlYwN0bg--

JALALABAD, Afghanistan - With profits from this spring's record opium crop fueling a broad Taliban offensive, Afghan authorities say they are considering a once unthinkable way to deal with the scourge: spraying poppy fields with herbicide.

I severely do not like this , there is a demand for this stuff to attack on the other end , are we doing what we can there?

What are the real alternatives?

Searching every truck that rolls into Europe?

Searching every ship that sails in the Indian Ocean?

Locking up everyone that fails to pass a drug test all over Europe and America?

Spraying these crops sounds less desprate and severe than these measures , but only because it won't be happening to us.

How about decrimanaliseing the drugs and makeing them too cheap to be worth smuggleing?

How about sneaking a potent poison into the crop that has addicts all turn plad?

If it is alright to spray these feilds with poison that will cause the farmers to starve , lots of equally severe things ought to be considered.

The_Professor

Re: Agent Orange anyone
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2006, 11:28:03 PM »
Agent Orange has proven to be a dangerous chemical and should be outlawed. That being said, there is probably no reasonable way to convince them to NOT employ it, or is there?

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2006, 12:01:55 AM »
     All right Professor, I probably should not have said "agent Orange " because it is unlikely to be agent orange that is used. There are more sophisticated and less harmfull herbacides availible .

I suppose it is a bad choice till it is compared to the worse choice of doing nothing to quell the problem.

I still don't like it , this is going to hurt a lot more than the Poppys and we should be urgently seeking alternatives.

I'll favor it if I am satisfied that every other alternative has been explored.

The_Professor

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2006, 11:12:51 AM »
I get wary of using chemicals. I know of a woman, for example, who sometiems beleives she contracted non-Hodkins Lymphoma from the use of a strong pesticide. I am not sure there isa solid link, but it is advisable to be super careful nonetheless.

Surely there are other means to conflict with opposing people than the use of chemical warfare. Sometimes I wonder what condition Man has arrived at....sigh.