Author Topic: Warren Buffet  (Read 6996 times)

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Warren Buffet
« on: June 27, 2007, 02:09:44 PM »

Buffett Slams Tax System Disparities
Speech Raises at Least $1 Million for Clinton Campaign

By Tomoeh Murakami Tse
Washington Post Staff Writer
Wednesday, June 27, 2007; Page D03

NEW YORK, June 26 -- Warren E. Buffett was his usual folksy self Tuesday night at a fundraiser for Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton (D-N.Y.) as he slammed a system that allows the very rich to pay taxes at a lower rate than the middle class.

Buffett cited himself, the third-richest person in the world, as an example. Last year, Buffett said, he was taxed at 17.7 percent on his taxable income of more than $46 million. His receptionist was taxed at about 30 percent.

Buffett said that was despite the fact that he was not trying to avoid paying higher taxes. "I don't have a tax shelter," he said. And he challenged Congress and his audience to see what the people who "clean our offices" are taxed, to loud applause.

A populist tone permeated the 70-minute talk with the billionaire investor and philanthropist in Manhattan on Tuesday night. The talk, given to about 600 Wall Street bankers and money managers, raised at least $1 million for Clinton's presidential campaign, the Associated Press reported.

The event comes as public frustration has grown over executive compensation and disparity in pay. It also comes as Congress debates changes to the tax code that would decrease take-home pay for managers of private-equity firms and hedge funds, pools of money for wealthy families and institutional investors. The rich can take advantage of tax loopholes, including one that allows those managers to pay the capital gains tax rate of 15 percent instead of the ordinary top income tax rate of 35 percent.

Buffett said that he and other privileged Americans must do more to help the less fortunate.

"We have the chance in 2008 to repair a lot of damage," Buffett said.

"We have a wonderful economy. . . . Our problem is how we conduct ourselves in the world." Buffett, the chairman and chief executive of Berkshire Hathaway in Omaha, has not endorsed Clinton for the Democratic presidential nomination.

But he has already donated the maximum $4,600 allowed by an individual to Clinton's presidential campaign. Buffett called Clinton "the person to run the country." He has not donated to any other candidate, according to public records, although he has said he would also support Sen. Barack Obama (D-Ill.) in a similar event.

Buffett is on the board of directors of The Washington Post Co.

Clinton acted as moderator. Topics included Buffett's views on the impact of the real estate slump on the economy (he doesn't see it spilling over to the broader market) and how to get started in investing (you are more likely to find diamonds in the rough among small companies).

Clinton finished by asking Buffett, "Why are you a Democrat?"

Buffett said he thought Democrats would do a better job in evening out the field for those who had drawn the unlucky tickets in life.
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
Re: Warren Buffet
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2007, 02:26:28 PM »
Since he feels he wasn't taxed enough, I assume that he voluntarily paid extra taxes to make up for it.

Any word on how much extra he threw into the kitty?
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2007, 02:38:53 PM »
if I remember right for some strange reason people cannot pay extra on taxes
something about the system is not setup to do such things.
I thing somebody went to jail for it.
about 4 years ago maybe.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2007, 04:12:51 PM »
if I remember right for some strange reason people cannot pay extra on taxes

You remember incorrectly.

There is even an office setup to handle it. You can direct your extra payment to go to debt reduction only, if you'd like.

Worst case, check the box the "include overpayment as a payment on next year's taxes" then don't include that payment amount the following year.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

gipper

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2007, 05:00:22 PM »
This standard "faux hypocrite" refrain we hear in so many different settings is equally absurd here. Ami would set up an artificial barrier for Buffet, for example, to see things his (Ami's) way or forfeit his right to speak. Such a position, of course, is patently absurd, as is its offshoot: that your credibility is somehow fatally damaged by simply managing your affairs the way you wish. Further, especially in the trillion-dollar-plus enterprise that is our fiscal policy, a drop-in-the-bucket potential receipt (say, Buffet's entire net worth) is not worth anything infinetismally close to a major, structural change in tax law and policy, which, by the way, Buffet would pay, gladly. It's time that these specious, clever-boy arguments be banished altogether.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2007, 05:10:17 PM »
Ami would set up an artificial barrier for Buffet, for example, to see things his (Ami's) way or forfeit his right to speak.

Never said any such thing.

Buffet said that he did not pay enough in taxes. I just wanted to know the amount of "extra" taxes that he thought he owed, and if he sent it in.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2007, 05:12:02 PM »
Actually, domer's faux complaints fail to address the point Ami was making.  And IIRC, (in referencing Kimba's query), I believe it was Representative Nadler, or some other Northeastern Lib, who actually have a section on their state income tax form, where they can chose to be taxed at a higher rate than the state requires.  He chose the lesser, surprise surprise.  

Again, it's always fascinating how the left is so quick to want others taxed higher, knowing how best they can spend other people's money, but when it comes down to it, especially those leftists with a substantial financial portfolio, the left has no wish to voluntarily increase their amount of "assistance", regardless if there's this supposed big nasty tax disparity
« Last Edit: June 27, 2007, 05:34:07 PM by sirs »
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

gipper

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2007, 05:13:15 PM »
A variation on a theme and still "clever-boy." God forbid we should address the merits of his ideas.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2007, 05:16:30 PM »
sounds like buffet is proposing a flat tax

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2007, 05:22:17 PM »
I'd hope he was proposing a progessive tax rather than a regressive tax.
The richer you are, the more taxes you pay.  What a concept. 
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2007, 05:31:48 PM »
A variation on a theme and still "clever-boy." God forbid we should address the merits of his ideas.

I think the idea of "I think I should pay more, therefore lets force everyone else to pay more" is specious, at best.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2007, 05:32:41 PM »
The richer you are, the more taxes you pay.  What a concept. 

Which is what happens with a flat tax.

gipper

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2007, 05:33:27 PM »
By the way, Ami, the last comment I made in this thread is "faux indignant."

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2007, 05:35:24 PM »
By the way, Ami, the last comment I made in this thread is "faux indignant."

Consider me "faux impressed."

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2007, 05:38:43 PM »
The richer you are, the more taxes you pay.  What a concept. 

Which is what happens with a flat tax.

Precisely.  Though last time I checked, that's currently the situation we have presently.  Personally though, I've jumped the flat tax bandwagon, and now believe the fairest is a National Sales Tax.  Again, Lanya's concerns of "the rich" needing to pay more is dealt with, as they purchase higher priced items, and more of them, paying higher taxes on all those items.  Wouldn't you agree, Lanya?
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle