Author Topic: Lazarus and the Rich Man  (Read 7152 times)

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Lazarus and the Rich Man
« on: October 01, 2007, 12:19:02 PM »
Lazarus and the Rich Man, Luke 16: 19-31

19 "There was a rich man who dressed in purple garments and fine linen and dined sumptuously each day.
20 And lying at his door was a poor man named Lazarus, covered with sores,
21 who would gladly have eaten his fill of the scraps that fell from the rich man's table. Dogs even used to come and lick his sores.
22 When the poor man died, he was carried away by angels to the bosom of Abraham. The rich man also died and was buried,
23 and from the netherworld, where he was in torment, he raised his eyes and saw Abraham far off and Lazarus at his side.
24 And he cried out, 'Father Abraham, have pity on me. Send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, for I am suffering torment in these flames.'
25 Abraham replied, 'My child, remember that you received what was good during your lifetime while Lazarus likewise received what was bad; but now he is comforted here, whereas you are tormented.
26 Moreover, between us and you a great chasm is established to prevent anyone from crossing who might wish to go from our side to yours or from your side to ours.'
27 He said, 'Then I beg you, father, send him to my father's house,
28 for I have five brothers, so that he may warn them, lest they too come to this place of torment.'
29 But Abraham replied, 'They have Moses and the prophets. Let them listen to them.'
30 He said, 'Oh no, father Abraham, but if someone from the dead goes to them, they will repent.'
31 Then Abraham said, 'If they will not listen to Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded if someone should rise from the dead.'"

Without a doubt this is one of Christ's most intriguing parables. It is not the first time he warns the wealthy, nor makes a statement on behalf of the poor. Indeed, it is fitting that this parable is found only in Luke, who is the most adamant of the Gospel authors to plead on behalf of the poor in both the Gospel and the Acts of the Apostles.

Yet, there is more to this parable than the special case of the poor. For the first and only time in any parable a character is given a name, Lazarus. Also, this is the most illustrated example of the afterlife ever spoken by Christ. Then there is the allusion to the Resurrection in the very last verse (31) when Abraham speaks, "neither will they be persuaded if someone should rise from the dead."

Unusually, for a parable, the story of Lazarus and the rich man is complex. It has raised many questions amongst theologians. What is the "chasm?" Was Jesus being literal in his descriptions, or figurative as in most parables? Given the warning earlier in the chapter (Luke 16:13) is it even possible for the rich man to have heavenly reward? How does the rich man communicate to Abraham? Why can't he be persuaded by a resurrected Christ?
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Lazarus and the Rich Man
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2007, 03:38:51 PM »
tricky
you see there is a phrase(money is the root of all evil)

look at micheal vick
was to be the highest paid player in history,but still wanted more money.
it`s not like he was raising money to buy something.
greed is the only motivation

strangely billionaires are not exactly in the same catagory.
they want money,but their goals is to effect change.
note the current trend for billionaires to give to charaties

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2007, 04:19:18 PM »
you see there is a phrase(money is the root of all evil)

Actually, the phrase is "Love of money is the root of all evil."

There's nothing wrong with being rich, as long as you use the money for doing good ("good" being defined as "God's work" in the Bible).
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2007, 06:46:32 PM »
thanks ami
didn`t know that at all

if I was rich,I`d open schools or some kind of free learning center.
you wouldn`t believe how hard it is for some folks to fill out a job application.

yellow_crane

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2007, 09:31:23 PM »
thanks ami
didn`t know that at all

if I was rich,I`d open schools or some kind of free learning center.
you wouldn`t believe how hard it is for some folks to fill out a job application.

I believe it is hard.  Very hard, actually.  Filling out a job application is one of the most stressful things americans encounter in one sitting.  Couple that with the stress of job interviews and you have a major portion of the stress pie.

Teaching them to fill out a job application is like "teaching" someone how to balance a check book.

The error lies in believing that they do not maintain a check book balance because they can't do the math.

Psychological baggage issues should be in the curriculum, if you really want some grad success.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2007, 09:33:22 PM »
Filling out a job application is one of the most stressful things americans encounter in one sitting.  Couple that with the stress of job interviews and you have a major portion of the stress pie.

Don't lie and the stress just melts away....
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

yellow_crane

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2007, 09:59:16 PM »
Filling out a job application is one of the most stressful things americans encounter in one sitting.  Couple that with the stress of job interviews and you have a major portion of the stress pie.

Don't lie and the stress just melts away....

So, people who fill out job applications feel no stress as long as they don't lie?

Whoosh.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2007, 10:16:41 PM »
So, people who fill out job applications feel no stress as long as they don't lie?

Whoosh.

I don't. I would presume the stress comes from making sure your lies are consistent and that you can remember them all.

What is stressful about listing your employment history and your skills?

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2007, 12:23:46 AM »
I have call that on my PDA.
If I don`t have that handy I`ll wing it
It`s not lying it`s if you don`t remember it exactly.
but it is hard calling all that up
I did that few years ago,that was the worst appilcation I filled out
It`s was messy looking
all my fault.
the crazy part is I got the job,since I totally completely qualifierd for the job.
in fact I even critized the questions given to me ,which totally made me looked better.
tip -never show fear in a interview
never

hnumpah

• You have another think coming. Use it.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2007, 07:12:15 PM »
...Luke, who is the most adamant of the Gospel authors to plead on behalf of the poor in both the Gospel and the Acts of the Apostles.

Makes sense...he was a physician.
"I love WikiLeaks." - Donald Trump, October 2016