Author Topic: Why so scared of Christmas?  (Read 76921 times)

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: Why so scared of Christmas?
« Reply #225 on: January 06, 2008, 01:56:28 PM »
Ah, but by doing this, you practice one anyway. Voids are filled...

Is practicing a religion the same as having faith?

What is the difference between a Baptist and a Christian.

A Christian and a Theist?

An Agnostic and one who follows the golden rule?

hnumpah

• You have another think coming. Use it.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #226 on: January 06, 2008, 03:15:04 PM »
i don't practice any religion, so why is it my bible?

I don't practice any religion, either, and I have several, in different translations. Would you like to borrow one of mine for your remedial reading?
"I love WikiLeaks." - Donald Trump, October 2016

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #227 on: January 06, 2008, 05:37:32 PM »
No thanks. I am quite happy with the way things are.

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #228 on: January 09, 2008, 08:41:40 PM »
Why don't you provide scripture that demonstrates how Jesus would support goverment officials taking from one to give to another??  Perhaps because there ISN'T ANY?? 

Christ's advocating that we help our fellow man does not equate to MANDATING that we help our fellow man.  It all goes back to free will....that which God gave us, the freedom to CHOOSE our actions and our paths.  At NO TIME DID JESUS EVER PREACH HOW WE'RE TO FORCE OUR FELLOW MAN TO HELP OTHER FELLOW MEN.  I defy you to refute that

Government is simply a tool for the will of the people.  If the people are christians then the government, as the peoples' tool, should be used to ease the suffering of the poor, hungry, infirm, etc.

The Statue of Liberty doesn't say, "send us your healthy, wealthy and wise libertarians".

Jesus, the man represented in the bible, would probably have beat the crap out of a wealthy capitalist and given his wealth to as many mothers with sick and hungry children as he could find.

I can't imagine Jesus telling a leper to get a job or pull himself up by his own bootstraps.

Apparently, you can.

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #229 on: January 09, 2008, 08:42:51 PM »
In context, how much of Caesars tribute went to feeding the poor?

What does that matter?  Caesar is represented today by our government.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #230 on: January 09, 2008, 10:58:16 PM »
Why don't you provide scripture that demonstrates how Jesus would support goverment officials taking from one to give to another??  Perhaps because there ISN'T ANY?? 

Christ's advocating that we help our fellow man does not equate to MANDATING that we help our fellow man.  It all goes back to free will....that which God gave us, the freedom to CHOOSE our actions and our paths.  At NO TIME DID JESUS EVER PREACH HOW WE'RE TO FORCE OUR FELLOW MAN TO HELP OTHER FELLOW MEN.  I defy you to refute that

Government is simply a tool for the will of the people.  If the people are christians then the government, as the peoples' tool, should be used to ease the suffering of the poor, hungry, infirm, etc.

Then they are not acting as Christians, because at no time did Christ advocate or teach such a practice.  Now, the scriptures that Tee, Js, and H have consistently demonstrated is a call by Christ for Christians to act together ---> BY THEIR OWN VOLITION.  If people want to get togther and help their fellow man ==> that's Christ like, and consistent with his teachings.  If people want to donate services, money, time, etc to a 3rd party organization that wishes to...well organize and apply said donations ==> again Christ like, consistent with his teachings.  When people TAKE from others to help their fellow man, regardless, == NOT Christ like or related to any of his teachings.  And there in lies the chasm of difference in this tangent.  No one is stopping anyone that wants to help, and Christ advocates that man do help each other.  But at no time did Christ advocate that you will be mandated to help your fellow man.  It's simply a teaching that you should, not that you must.

I can't imagine Jesus telling a leper to get a job or pull himself up by his own bootstraps.  Apparently, you can.

Absolutely he would.  He'd probably also help find a job for the leper (after miraculously healing him of course), or more likely have him simply follow him along his teachings.  He'd probably help to find a place to live, and maybe even give him some of hiw own money.  He wouldn't take from someone else, and turn around to give him someone else's belongings.  I defy you to show me an example of where he ever did.
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Cynthia

« Reply #231 on: January 09, 2008, 11:04:05 PM »
Good post, Sirs.

Cynthia

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #232 on: January 09, 2008, 11:13:28 PM »
Thankee Miss Cynthia.  I do what little I can     8)
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #233 on: January 09, 2008, 11:39:10 PM »

The Statue of Liberty doesn't say, "send us your healthy, wealthy and wise libertarians".

Jesus, the man represented in the bible, would probably have beat the crap out of a wealthy capitalist and given his wealth to as many mothers with sick and hungry children as he could find.

I can't imagine Jesus telling a leper to get a job or pull himself up by his own bootstraps.

Apparently, you can.

"Government is simply a tool for the will of the people.  If the people are christians then the government, as the peoples' tool, should be used to ease the suffering of the poor, hungry, infirm, etc."

Des ET include putting the ten commandments on the courthouse lawn again?

Cynthia

« Reply #234 on: January 10, 2008, 12:26:04 AM »
Thankee Miss Cynthia.  I do what little I can     8)

I call em as I see em...no matter what party....liner.
You have a conviction that is pure in spirit, Sirs.

Rings so true to Christians...abound.
C*

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #235 on: January 10, 2008, 11:46:52 AM »
"Government is simply a tool for the will of the people.  If the people are christians then the government, as the peoples' tool, should be used to ease the suffering of the poor, hungry, infirm, etc."

*snicker*....touche', Plane       ;)

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #236 on: January 10, 2008, 11:51:37 AM »

Yes, because posting the 10 Commandments feeds how many hungry? Clothes how many naked? Visits how many prisoners?

Go push a cross into the ground and bitch about abortion while kids are dying of the runs. F***ing cowards.
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #237 on: January 10, 2008, 12:21:35 PM »
That was way out of line and I apologize to Sirs and Plane.

As you may have guessed I do not take faith lightly. I do not like to see these petty (IMHO) battles which are so intertwined in petty human politics when so many humans are suffering right now and we seem to argue over the mundane and ridiculous.

Still, I acted not out of charity, but out of anger and for that I am very sorry.
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #238 on: January 10, 2008, 01:26:02 PM »
Apology unnecessary, but accepted

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #239 on: January 10, 2008, 01:31:29 PM »

Yes, because posting the 10 Commandments feeds how many hungry? Clothes how many naked? Visits how many prisoners?

Go push a cross into the ground and bitch about abortion while kids are dying of the runs. F***ing cowards.

Most of us are Christians , at least nominally , even if we disagre about the ideal way to worship and serve him. Since we are a majority what we say goes right? We should command our governent to decorate itself with  Christian symbols and perform charitable actions for the greater glory of Christ.