Author Topic: Cordless Mouse & Windows Vista  (Read 9325 times)

Henny

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Cordless Mouse & Windows Vista
« on: January 13, 2008, 05:33:16 PM »
Help!

I have tried to use 3 different cordless mice with my notebook running Vista. None are recognized. I've used Microsoft and Logitech models, all Vista certified. Currently, I'm trying the Logitech V200 Notebook Mouse.

I know how to install a cordless mouse and about reset buttons, etc. The problem is definitely related to either the notebook or Vista. Any suggestions on how I can get a cordless mouse to work?

(As a side note, I have had no problem with other cordless devices such as a cordless number pad.)

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Cordless Mouse & Windows Vista
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 07:42:11 PM »
I looked at some help forums and they're having the same problem.
I googled "how to get a cordless mouse to work with Vista" and many people were asking the same question.
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 08:49:50 PM »
My Bluetooth mouse worked right out of the box with Vista.

One question: which version of Vista are you using? Some versions don't have all the software.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 02:07:10 PM »
vista tain`t doing well
I can`t load flash on mine
I have to use mozilla to run any streaming
and I can`t even use dvix encoder which says it`s vista compatable
I kinda window shop at tigerdirect and when I see a computer on sale and if it says vista i don`t look any further and I skip it.
I hear some companies are making xp computers now.
I only know one person who likes it
but she kinda don`t count ,because she`s a programmer and she know how to disable all the annoying stuff to the point it`s a great OS.
I`m nowhere good enough to even try to do that.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008, 02:33:12 PM »
I have previously sworn NEVER to buy any Microsoft product until it is into the second edition.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2008, 02:47:36 PM »
seriously XO
good policy
vista despite the news is not doing well
vista is very limiting to alot of people
p.s. defraging takes longer and it has no progress display .
but the media software is pretty good though
I can actually see movies
xp tend to be hit or miss.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2008, 03:29:24 PM »
One problem is that there are far too many versions of Vista, each with its own price. It seems as though that they made an ideal Super Professional Corporate Droid version for $499, and then dumbed then others down by removing features. If you buy Vista installed, you don't actually get a disk to reinstall, and lots of companies stuff bloatware thet I would not want under any circumstances, like a 30-day trial version of Symantic or McAffee. I do not need the "gift that keeps on taking."

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2008, 04:59:54 PM »
If you buy Vista installed, you don't actually get a disk to reinstall,

They install a "recovery" partition. You can use this partition to rebuild the system, or if you're paranoid enough, you can make a disk from the recovery partition and use THAT to rebuild the system.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2008, 09:29:50 PM »
They install a "recovery" partition. You can use this partition to rebuild the system, or if you're paranoid enough, you can make a disk from the recovery partition and use THAT to rebuild the system.
===========================================
If your HD is toast, so is the partition. Maybe one in 50 users will know how to make that DVD disk and use it.

A disk could not cost more than a couple of bucks more. You need the pass code to reload Windows disk. They deliberately don't ship it out of a desire to profit from the nearly inevitable screw-ups than can happen for hundreds of reasons.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2008, 10:10:05 PM »
If your HD is toast, so is the partition.

Depends on what the problem is.

Maybe one in 50 users will know how to make that DVD disk and use it.

I like how you assume most of the people around you are idiots.

Of course, I've always been of the opinion that if you don't understand a machine, you shouldn't be using it.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2008, 01:38:48 AM »
Of course, I've always been of the opinion that if you don't understand a machine, you shouldn't be using it.

you got no idea how many people break that rule.
I hear a decent percent of ipod owners never take it out of the box,because they got no idea how to use it.
this goes with alot of devices.
I can`t describe how hard it is to explain to people that all media devices ,blank media(cd,dvd) measure storage in bytes not time like tape does
it doesn`t help the disc actualy has the minutes on it
700mb=80min.
remember there is no real manuel for computers
it`s all implied you have prior knowledge.
and the reality of the ratio people with tech knowledge in the general population is a whole lot smaller than we think
in my family located near frikkin silicon valley.
you would think we would have alot of techies in our family.
I`m the only one in the whole batch
I built 3 and maintained pretty much everybody
I never finished my A+
I still don`t understand how I`m the tech guy.
even at work,which has a IT dept. people go to me for help.
but back to the subject,people are way less tech savy than we think
we assume that kids are good with it
not really
they are good are operating it,but lousy at understanding how it works.
my nephew is a wiz at operating any device,but if it breaks it`s in the trash he got no idea how to get it working again

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2008, 04:21:42 PM »

===================================================================================
This is rather a silly proposition. Most people shouldn't be driving a car or playing CD's by that criteria. Most people have only a smattering of knowledge about how electricity works.

You can verify this by asking them why it is a flashlight won't work at all when you turn the batteries around backwards, but you can make an electric motor spin backwards by reversing the wires.

Perhaps you can explain this, but I doubt if one in 500 average Americans can.

I suppose you, maximum genius that you are, can somehow reveal the source code for Windows and rewrite it to suit you, hence justifying your ability to use it.

yellow_crane

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2008, 04:39:45 PM »

A genius is always a step ahead.

For instance, when applying for Mensa membership, a genius will already have the attitude.

Once, in amidst study of a particular type, I was surrounded by a lot of pre-legal types.   

One used to tell me that his uncle, a top Baltimore lawyer, told him to get into discussions and practice arguing either side.

Republican pre-science types work along the same mein--they practice arguing on the absurd side, hoping that will prepare them when they get to be a scientist with a stamped degree, and can make the big bucks writings papers absurdly denying global warming.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2008, 05:00:00 PM »
The reason to debate the 'absurd side' of an issue is to develop skills at debating. But it also causes the person doing it to see the issue in a broader perspective. The Roman Catholic Church probably came up with this technique when hammering out a philosophical dogma for Christianity, which was somewhat necessary because Jesus was no philosopher, and would have been quite offended to have been accused of being one.

Debating skills are the same thing as sophistry, which is what Socrates (who disliked Sophists) called 'the ability to make the lesser cause seem to be the greater cause.'

Tobacco farming has allowed thousands of poor Carolina and Kentucky farmers to send their kids to college, for example. If they had been growing rutabagas or pole beans, they could have probably not even been able to buy a tractor or feed the mule.

Of course, if they grew poppies or marijuana, they could have sent the little buggers on to medical school as well.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2008, 05:09:12 PM »
This is rather a silly proposition. Most people shouldn't be driving a car or playing CD's by that criteria. Most people have only a smattering of knowledge about how electricity works.

OK. That doesn't change my opinion; if you don't understand (in basic principal) how a car works, you shouldn't operate one. I made sure my daughter knew the basics of how a car operates (she can change the oil, tires, replace brake shoes and pads, and diagnose many common car problems, and identify all major components, what they do, and explain in principle how internal combustion engines and several transmissions work) before she got her license. Same for any other machinery.

You can verify this by asking them why it is a flashlight won't work at all when you turn the batteries around backwards, but you can make an electric motor spin backwards by reversing the wires.

Perhaps you can explain this, but I doubt if one in 500 average Americans can.

Well, you'll have to explain about the flashlight one, because in principle it should work, and in actuality it works fine on all of my flashlights around the house (I just tested 'em, they all work with the batteries reversed). Well, I didn't test the rechargeables, because I didn't want to break into their battery cases, though I would understand why they would no longer *charge* if the battery were reversed.

A DC motor usually works backwards when you reverse the wires, however, it can be designed to turn the same way regardless of the polarity - indeed, that is how an AC motor works.