Author Topic: L'Affaire Spitzer  (Read 23319 times)

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: L'Affaire Spitzer
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2008, 11:20:33 PM »
Structured deposits? Now this one has two different responses from me. First-and correct me if I am wrong-but structured deposits only became a significant crime because of the Patriot Act correct?

By-product of the war on drugs. About the same time as seizure laws came into effect. Late 70's under Carter, early 80's under Reagan.

modestyblase

« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2008, 11:26:53 PM »
Structured deposits? Now this one has two different responses from me. First-and correct me if I am wrong-but structured deposits only became a significant crime because of the Patriot Act correct?

By-product of the war on drugs. About the same time as seizure laws came into effect. Late 70's under Carter, early 80's under Reagan.

Really? That long? I had never heard of things like that until the Patriot Act.
This reiterates my original thoughts: Spitzer is guilty of stupidity. So is the agency.

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2008, 11:32:53 PM »
in other words repeal a bunch of laws and that would mean he didn't break any laws?  ::)

"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

modestyblase

« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2008, 11:34:35 PM »

in other words repeal a bunch of laws and he didn't break any laws?  ::)

No, in other words the laws are lame.  :P

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2008, 11:35:06 PM »
Jeez. Structured deposits.

Suppose I buy a $11,000 used car from the owner, who wants cash. So I take out $5000 one day and $6000 the next, and suddenly I am a criminal?

Or I go on a trip, or whatever.

What kind of crap is that?

Why should sex be more illegal if I cross a state line? That's a lot more unfair to people in Texarkana than people in Austin, isn't it?
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2008, 11:39:30 PM »

in other words repeal a bunch of laws and that would mean he didn't break any laws?

actually paid for sex, transported a prostitute across state lines (a federal crime)
or "structuring" money which is the intentional structuring of financial transactions
involving cash in amounts less than $10,000 for the purpose of avoiding the filing
of "Currency Transaction Reports" with IRS and FBI.

Well, now that you mention it, I don't see anything there that should be unlawful.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2008, 11:51:06 PM »
I don't see anything there that should be unlawful.

Hey UP that may be the ticket
If people "dont see anything there that should be unlawful" we should not prosecute.
Maybe just allow everybody to just make up th laws they wish to abide by as they go along.  ::)

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2008, 11:59:03 PM »

Hey UP that may be the ticket
If people "dont see anything there that should be unlawful" we should not prosecute.
Maybe just allow everybody to just make up th laws they wish to abide by as they go along.

No, not quite. How about we get rid of laws we don't need? As much fun as it might be see a self-righteous moralizer like Spitzer get hoisted on his own petard, selling/paying for sex really shouldn't be against the law.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2008, 12:06:55 AM »
Suppose I buy a $11,000 used car from the owner, who wants cash. So I take out $5000
one day and $6000 the next, and suddenly I am a criminal?

A criminal?
Uh? What are you talking about?
Under the Bank Secrecy Act, all financial institutions are required to file currency transaction reports
with the federal government for any deposit or withdrawal of more than $10,000.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bank_Secrecy_Act

Cynthia

« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2008, 12:31:25 AM »
Cynthia-Jackie O. was aware of his philandering ways before she ever said "I do", and though surely it bothered her she must have felt it was a risk worth taking. Besides, wasn't she secretly pining for RFK? "

Before she said 'I DO'?   That's an excuse? Give me a break.

You have to be kidding me. This is not about Jackie O. Her Jack was a Jerk. He was allowed to lead such a life because of the times? Ok..Yeah, sure....But, he was still a "John" in a sense.

This is about not only a political figure, but about a male who is arrogant and bruised beyond belief......He has NOT been using his skills in A nice way"...he has absolutely abused his constituents' trust.

This man indulges in such acts of betrayal no mater that he is a Governor? Criminal.   A governor who has been going along as a "drive by" destroying his privilege as a leader, shooting off his "power"?

This governor was known for taking  crittical and positive action against prostitution in his state... Yet, he has apparently spent 80 grand on the pleasures of the illegal.

He's lost his job to say the least.
Now, only God can save his soul. .

He's hurt too many people.

He's toast..and should be burnt toast....and his wife should either join the ranks of a forgiving or leave his sticky soul.

Never, ever cheat on your wife. Never ever cheat on your husband.

Never ever betray your people.

He's going to be lucky if he sees the light of day.

I feel no sorrow for this man.
But , there for the grace of God go we.
He does deserve some sort of forgiveness if he asks for it...
I doubt Kennedy ever cared to ask. ..

modestyblase

« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2008, 12:52:51 AM »
Cynthia-I do not have firsthand, nor will I feign, knowledge of the manifold complexities of monogamous relations(given that my lengthiest was three years or so and that ended nine years ago). Given that Jackie O. was aware of her husbands physical infidelities, she opted to stick with him anyway for reasons that are none of anyones business, in all honesty. Doesn't make him awful, doesn't make her weak.

As far as prostitution is concerned, any hypocrisy stemming from this issue stems from Americas trotted out societal mores. Clearly that is a significant point of debate since the closeted mores are what people live their lives by, and usually discreetly.

Betrayal and cheating and things like physical fidelity are different things, mean different things, to different people. For instance the above mentioned monogamous relation? In the end I may have had his physical fidelity but I had lost his emotional love and his repsonsiveness; I'd rather have had him cheat once or thrice and love me instead of sticking by me cause he felt he had to.

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2008, 01:08:20 AM »
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

Cynthia

« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2008, 01:16:40 AM »
Modest....first of all ...DO WE DISAGREE OR WHAT?

"Given that Jackie O. was aware of her husbands physical infidelities, she opted to stick with him anyway for reasons that are none of anyones business, in all honesty."

Of COURSE it's our business. The Kennedys were America's Royal couple. By default they demanded our "business". They were a model of the perfect American couple...and yet in the end, they failed. Most families fail in one  way or another. ...and sure when a married person steps across that line  to love another is "human nature" and love can't be completely understood..in the end.

BUT TO STEP OUT AND HIRE whores for the basement price of 80 grand over time...is criminal.

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2008, 01:31:02 AM »
"But this is a case where consistency is a virtue. Either both Limbaugh
and Spitzer should have been prosecuted, or neither"

Thats "the diffrence" Lanya.
If Rush broke laws he should have his day in court.
This slimeball Democrat Governor not only broke laws, he lied to his family, and broke the public trust.
But the difference is you are such a partision you wanna talk about "everybody does it".

Stray Pooch

• Pray tell me, sir, whose dog are you?
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2008, 01:59:52 AM »
Prostitution SHOULD be legalized.  Because, after all, such gratuitous legislation of morality violates our rights to participate in such victimless crimes.

http://www.humantrafficking.org/countries/united_states_of_america

The U.S. Department of State began monitoring trafficking in persons in 1994, when the issue began to be covered in the Department?s Annual Country Reports on Human Rights Practices. Originally, coverage focused on trafficking of women and girls for sexual purposes. The report coverage has broadened over the years, and U.S. embassies worldwide now routinely monitor and report on cases of trafficking in men, women, and children for all forms of forced labor, including agriculture, domestic service, construction work, and sweatshops, as well as trafficking for commercial sexual exploitation.

I'm so sick of the moralistic prudes who try to force their religious views down our throats by criminalizing the world's oldest profession.  I mean it's anti-capitalism and anti-freedom.

http://www.humantrafficking.org/updates/743

"Shocked and scared, the two women were subjected to physical, mental and sexual abuse over the next year as they were forced to work 12-hour shifts stripping for local Detroit men?s clubs. According to immigration customs agent Angus Lowe, the men controlled the women through intimidation with guns and threats to hurt family members back home.

Katya and her friend are two of the estimated 17,000 young women and girls annually who are forced to work in the sex industry in the U.S. by organized criminals. ?Chicago, Houston, St. Paul, Minnesota, these crimes are happening in every community in America big and small,? says Marcie Forman, Director of Investigations for ICE (Immigration Customs Enforcement.)   ?We?re talking about money here. Millions of dollars and these people don?t think about these women as human beings. They think of them as dollars and cents,? Forman says. "

Damn those prudish bastards that want to keep prostitution illegal. 
« Last Edit: March 12, 2008, 02:04:56 AM by Stray Pooch »
Oh, for a muse of fire, that would ascend the brightest heaven of invention . . .