Author Topic: A True News Icon passes  (Read 13471 times)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
A True News Icon passes
« on: June 13, 2008, 06:01:48 PM »
FAR too soon.  He will be missed    :'(   

NBC's Tim Russert Dies at 58
Host of 'Meet the Press' Suffers Heart Attack

By Howard Kurtz
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, June 13, 2008; 4:10 PM

Tim Russert, the Democratic operative turned NBC commentator who revolutionized Sunday morning television and infused journalism with his passion for politics, died this afternoon.

Russert suffered a heart attack while working in his office on Washington's Nebraska Avenue. Details were not immediately available.

Russert served as NBC's Washington bureau chief and the host of "Meet the Press," the top-rated Sunday talk show, which had an enormous influence on politics and was marked by his aggressive style of interrogation. As a frequent commentator on the "Today" show, "NBC Nightly News" and other shows, Russert wielded such clout that when he declared that Sen. Barack Obama had wrapped up the Democratic nomination last month, his pronouncement was treated as a news event in itself.

Russert's television career was marked by a voracious appetite for politics and a shrewd understanding of how politicians interact with the media. He also wrote a book about his father, titled "Big Russ and Me." Last week, he moved Big Russ to a nursing facility.

Former NBC News anchor Tom Brokaw gave MSNBC viewers the news of Russert's death at 3:40 p.m.

"He worked to the point of exhaustion so many weeks," Brokaw said, adding: "This news division will not be the same without his strong, clear voice."

Brokaw said Russert had just returned from a family trip to Italy with his wife, writer Maureen Orth. Their son, Luke, graduated from Boston College this spring, Brokaw said.

Russert served as host of "Meet the Press" longer than any other person and was "one of the premier political analysts and journalists of his time," Brokaw said. He began hosting "Meet the Press" in 1991.

The Buffalo native got his start in New York politics, working for then-senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan and then-governor Mario Cuomo.

Article
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: A True News Icon passes
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 06:35:11 PM »
Way too soon, and I will sure miss him.  What a shock for his family.   
I'm glad he got to write that book about his father. 
RIP.
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 07:10:12 PM »
Besides the incredibly awesome books he wrote, Wisdom of our Fathers... & Big Russ and Me..., as a moderator on Meet the Press, he was typically excellent.  Despite being a Democrat, he facilitated hardball questions to any and all that passed thru the chair opposite him.  Politicians cringed, if not declined, to have him as a debate moderator.  Our prayers are with him & his family
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008, 08:19:48 PM »
Seriously, I never really understood how much a part of my political regimen he was till just today.  I'm totally blown away.

It's just a terrible, terrible day.

Cynthia

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2008, 09:25:26 PM »
Someone who was always prepared. True professional.

Very sad news on Father's DAy weekend.

chickencounter

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2008, 10:39:34 PM »
You could always count on him to get straight to the truth, even if it wasn't something you wanted to hear.  And he seemed like a genuinely nice man.  Very sad.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2008, 12:02:32 AM »
An excellent interviewer and a great newsman.

He will be missed.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2008, 12:05:23 AM »
Media Research Center President Brent Bozell has issued the following statement regarding Tim Russert?s passing:

"Whenever I've been asked to give examples of a fair, balanced and honest journalist, Tim Russert's name was the first name that came to mind. This was a view shared by everyone and was the ultimate testimony to his professionalism.  As a moderator he was in a league of his own, always knowing when to speak and when to let his guests do the talking. As an individual he was an absolute class act, and always a gentleman. The world of journalism is vastly diminished today."

Tim Russert 1950-2008
« Last Edit: June 14, 2008, 01:49:28 AM by sirs »

Cynthia

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2008, 01:28:27 AM »
The more I learn about the life of Tim Russert, the more I realize (and particularly on this Father's Day event,) there is a time...there is a season....there is very much a reason for certain souls in life and in death

This man was so brilliant and his ability to see the BS...as the vet would say...BS detector..Russert could trip up the most obvious fraud goin'...i.e. Mr. racist himself..Duke. To hear how he slipped him a Timmy was brilliant. Reminds me of the best of the best here on the board..and Yep sometimes that best is Ami. ;)
 This isn't just the loss of a newsman. . . imo, this is a loss of an American who understood so many around his circle...my god, he could have been the ultimate leader of a country. I know that sounds promising and hopeful, but the standing ovation in life that this political man without script received.....is more than any damn Prez I'll ever see in this lifetime.
Sometimes there are no coincidences...sometimes there are messages that hold more meaning than any thread bite can carry.

A Guy Like No Other Guy.

.----Jack Welch
« Last Edit: June 14, 2008, 01:31:44 AM by Cynthia »

R.R.

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2008, 04:27:09 PM »
Hi Chicky.

fatman

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2008, 05:32:11 PM »
I was shocked to hear of his passing on the radio back from my camping trip.

An amazing man in the media of today that is focused on trivialities, Russert found a way to insert the things that mattered into the cultural conversation.

He'll be missed by those that like honest news.

chickencounter

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2008, 06:16:19 PM »
hi Ricky.   :)

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2008, 10:46:44 PM »
Although he was at the opposite end of the political spectrum
he seemed like a good man, a good father, and he died way too early.
RIP Tim Russert.

"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

Rich

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2008, 03:49:33 PM »
Never heard of him.

chickencounter

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2008, 04:02:27 PM »
Coulter must have never been on his show then...