Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: 527
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2008, 06:29:42 PM »
Why are there so few people interested in forming 527 groups in favor of McCain?

Because they'll be fined for doing so.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2008, 06:38:30 PM »
<<He promised the people something, and then went back on his word.>>

I guess then you must have been devastated when Bush promised a more humble foreign policy and then decided to invade Iraq with or without UN sanctions. 

<<I didn't make the pledge so your remarks about me carry no weight.>>

So what?  They were only about you for humorous purposes, their real target was anyone who thinks inflexibility  is some kind of virtue in financial strategy.  I never really anticipated that you would be the CFO of any company I would be invested in.  The remarks carry a lot of weight because their import is that one would have to be very stupid to stick to a financial plan when circumstances show an alternative plan to be more advantageous.  How Obama plans to finance his campaign is of secondary importance to what the campaign is for.

The only real animus behind all the anti-Obama carping that I can see is sour grapes - - the people are coughing up for Obama in massive numbers, out-contributing the relatively tiny handfuls of the ultra-rich who as individuals are contributing massively to McSame, but not massively enough to outweigh the voice of the people.

<<This isn't about McCain.>>

No?  Who else is running against Obama?

<<It is about Obama going back on his word. >>

NO, actually, it's about Obama changing his plans on how he wants to finance his campaign.  And about McSame not being able to follow suit because he doesn't have anywhere near the huge numbers of citizens ready, willing and eager to back him as there are for Obama.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 06:42:25 PM by Michael Tee »

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2008, 06:51:41 PM »
The only real animus behind all the anti-Obama carping that I can see is sour grapes - - the people are coughing up for Obama in massive numbers, out-contributing the relatively tiny handfuls of the ultra-rich who as individuals are contributing massively to McSame, but not massively enough to outweigh the voice of the people.

You got some stats to back that up, or are you just pulling shit out of the air again?
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2008, 06:54:45 PM »
I'm going with the AMBE option
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2008, 06:56:44 PM »
<<You got some stats to back that up, or are you just pulling shit out of the air again?>>

Just applying a little common sense to some pretty well-known facts.  If Obama wasn't raising bucketloads from small contributors on the internet, why'd he want to forgo public-purse campaign funding?  If McSame were mining the same vein and taking out even more than Obama, why'd any of his right-wing pals give a shit what Obama was doing to raise money?

You got any state to contradict my conclusions or are you just sniping blindly and hoping to hit something?

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2008, 07:03:27 PM »
You got any state to contradict my conclusions or are you just sniping blindly and hoping to hit something?

Didn't think it was supposed to be my job to support or not support your arguments.

However, according to opensecrets.org, Obama is out raising McCain by tapping into big donors. He has twice as many $4,600 donors (the maximum amount you can contribute) as McCain. So, I don't think that he's out raising McCain by getting money from the "little guy" as you imply.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2008, 07:23:02 PM »
NO, actually, it's about Obama changing his plans on how he wants to finance his campaign.

Obama should have left himself some wiggle room. Shows poor judgment in making promises that he might not fulfill, especially before being elected. After he is elected national interests supercede perasonal interests, which is what happened with Bush after he took office.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2008, 07:42:34 PM »
NO, actually, it's about Obama changing his plans on how he wants to finance his campaign.

Obama should have left himself some wiggle room. Shows poor judgment in making promises that he might not fulfill, especially before being elected.

Nooo?......poor Judgement?.......Obama?  Say it ain't so              ;)
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2008, 07:54:41 PM »
<<However, according to opensecrets.org, Obama is out raising McCain by tapping into big donors. He has twice as many $4,600 donors (the maximum amount you can contribute) as McCain. So, I don't think that he's out raising McCain by getting money from the "little guy" as you imply.>>

Do you know what "bundlers" are?

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2008, 08:06:49 PM »

Yes I do .

But why are the big boys absent for McCain?

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2008, 08:07:03 PM »

Yes. However, the bundled transactions are still recorded individually. If they're not, then the bundlers are breaking the law, as they are acting like a PAC but not registered as such.

If I take a set of checks from Jim, Joe, and Cindy and turn them in, I'm a "bundler". The donations are still recorded as being $X from Jim, $Y from Joe, and $Z from Cindy.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2008, 08:12:19 PM »
Well, thanks, I didn't realize that the bundled donations still were recorded individually.

In any event, my sense is that the $4.6K donations are coming in from the middle classes and not from the top 0.5 to 2% of the population, which is where McCain would have found his natural base.  From the soccer moms and not from the empire inheritors.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2008, 08:13:49 PM »
In any event, my sense is that the $4.6K donations are coming in from the middle classes and not from the top 0.5 to 2% of the population, which is where McCain would have found his natural base.  From the soccer moms and not from the empire inheritors.

ROFL

I know of very few "soccer moms" who will give $4,600 to a politician.

$4,600 donations come from the well to do.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2008, 08:14:18 PM »
Well, thanks, I didn't realize that the bundled donations still were recorded individually.

Why are these particular guys so inactive this time?

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2008, 08:22:01 PM »
I beg to differ, I know plenty of soccer moms who can afford to shell out $4,600 for a political cause.  Soccer kids need uniforms, special cleated footwear, refs and coaches - - it's not a game that North American parents typically can teach their children.  It's a big step up from basketball (financially) although probably not as expensive as ice hockey.  Most of the soccer moms I know have their kids in private schools.