Author Topic: Obama perfect?  (Read 56244 times)

Cynthia

Re: Obama perfect?
« Reply #210 on: July 05, 2008, 01:54:55 AM »
Not the teachers. You have little faith in others who have devoted years to the job of teaching.

I have little faith in those whose arguments are all across the board.

That's your opinion.  You are one person in this world. BT. Sure, your opinion matters but sadly your opinion is based on a need to be RIGHT.  And yet, you lack a critical understanding of what the public schools are really doing for children and have been for years. There are so many positive things that you refuse to see...but, of course there is a bigger picture here. It takes a lot more than a few posts to make you see the truth.

I will continue to hear and explore the truth on this issue.

For now, I see that the NCLB needs work..a hell of a lot of work...and because the very politicians who supported the act agree with me, I see no need to worry about what you think. sorry, but that's a fact.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2008, 02:03:03 AM by Cynthia »

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #211 on: July 05, 2008, 02:20:06 AM »
You are one person in this world. BT. Sure, your opinion matters but sadly your opinion is based on a need to be RIGHT. 

Let's leave the psychoanalysis to professionals.

My issue with you is you continue to blame the NCLB for problems that come from the state level.

I have never said public schools should be shut down. I do advocate a voucher system, but public schools would be eligible to compete against privates schools for students.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #212 on: July 05, 2008, 02:25:19 AM »
You are blind, and I am frustrated with your ignorance on the reality of what is happening in the classroom. Your rhetoric is boring me. You are not capable of comprehending this subject matter....not in the least.  

So, let's again flip that 180:  You are blind, and I am frustrated with your ignorance on the reality of what is happening in Iraq. Your rhetoric is boring me. You are not capable of comprehending this subject matter....not in the least

That'd be consistent with your rhetoric, right?
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #213 on: July 05, 2008, 08:58:55 AM »

Then show me where in the NCLB it mandates multiple tests per year, and mandates that the test be multiple choice.

===================
You are dodging the issue.

They are doing the wrong things and they are doing it poorly.

Until they do the right things well, there will be no major improvement. The problem is that the NCLB law has not done its job.
Therefore, it must be changed, or poor performance will continue to be the result.

Showing you where it says this or that is immaterial to anything important.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #214 on: July 05, 2008, 10:15:42 AM »
Showing you where it says this or that is immaterial to anything important.

It does when it is your claim that the act mandates "over testing" of children and mandates multiple choice tests be administered.

The NCLB act does neither of those; that act mandates one test per year in each of the subject areas (reading, math, science), but leaves it up to the states to decide what form that test takes, and what level of achievement is considered adequate for it's schools.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #215 on: July 05, 2008, 12:24:18 PM »
They are doing the wrong things and they are doing it poorly.

They being the states.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #216 on: July 05, 2008, 04:22:43 PM »
I can only speak here as a classroom teacher. ....................................

Hey, I am tired after the night of fireworks....so pardon the typos...

I am NOT FINISHED. ;)

A good post , but unsatisfying in one respect.

The problems that are old and the problems that are recent developments can be explicitly enumerated and examined for cause , but the promised solutions cannot be.

Senator Obama doesn't promise to scrap the NCLB , so what does he say he will do diffrently with it?

Cynthia

« Reply #217 on: July 06, 2008, 12:10:41 AM »
Now that I have had time to reflect on this issue, I am going to say that

..I believe that there are segments of any issue that can be debated in detail and then there are segments within an issue that also need to be debated with clear "observable" data. ....listening to the people involved, asking pertinent questions, collecting such evidence along with hard copy abstract data. 

Assessing a child's work is about concrete test results yes, ...but it is also about being able to see the child in the act of learning. Taking notes as the child is engaged in the task at hand, making clinical and objective anecdotal records along the way.

Both methods are necessary in order to make a final and clear judgement/assessment of how the child is progressing and learning.

This debate about the elements of The NCLB act reminds me of that.

There are some very good elements within the act and I am sure Kennedy had a great idea as he created the law.

And, yet there are obvious issues that need to be worked on. But the overall assessment of the NCLB act will have to come with more than a one size fits all form of data collection.

It takes a lot to work to assess and  fine tune any program, law or system.

I applaud Obama's willingness to hear the evidence that teachers bring to the debate and ultimately to the fine tuning of a broken act.

It's clear that the NCLB is on the docket for change.

If McCain can bring about such changes, so be it.

I am not partisan on this issue.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2008, 12:13:35 AM by Cynthia »