Author Topic: Gall bladder  (Read 5191 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Gall bladder
« on: July 22, 2008, 07:06:52 PM »
My wife has just given up her gall bladder , it was perhaps the reason that she has been sick so often this year.

But she is hurt pretty badly from this operation , I may not be online a lot.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Gall bladder
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 07:35:53 PM »
Sorry to hear that, plane.  Please give her my best wishes for a speedy recovery.

MT

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 08:35:42 PM »
hope everything will be ok.
A friend of mine  had it done.
strangely she got happy about it.
she said she can eat more fatty foods now.
the illness restricted her food selection big time.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 09:03:56 PM »
Time to return to the Hospital Chiaw and thanks for trhe well wishing.

fatman

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 10:30:52 PM »
Sorry to hear that Plane, you and your wife have my best wishes.

chickencounter

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2008, 11:46:07 PM »
You are a good husband, Plane.  I had mine out earlier this year.  It was a little difficult and I am still suffering some side affects but most the time I am doing well.  Just make sure she gets lots of rest and doesn't try to get back to her regular routine too soon.

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008, 12:43:39 AM »
You are both in my prayers Plane.

And you too Chicky...thanks for telling me  :P
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

chickencounter

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2008, 09:47:22 AM »
pffffft.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2008, 09:50:23 AM »
Best of luck to all of you.

========================================

Does a lack of a gall bladder mean that one is incapable of unmitigated gall, or is it the function of the gall bladder to mitigate the gall?
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2008, 04:14:27 PM »
Many blessings to you all, Plane.  I know you will take very good care of her.
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2008, 01:01:23 PM »
Best of luck to all of you.

========================================

Does a lack of a gall bladder mean that one is incapable of unmitigated gall, or is it the function of the gall bladder to mitigate the gall?

The Gall Bladder when it works properly saves up bile untill the appropriate occasion.

Lacking a gall bladder means one must be carefull to aviod consumeing fatty foods except in very small amounts.

So one might say the function of a gall bladder is the modulation of gall   (bile).

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2008, 02:45:35 PM »
mitigation means dilution, so perhaps the expression "unmitigated gall" is unrelated to any biological activity.

The term most likely refers to the four humors and four types of disposition. sanguine (blood). melancholic (black bile ), choleric (yellow bile), and phlegmatic (phlegm) .

"The four humours are the basis of ancient medicine. Essentially, according to the four humours model, general health is held to be reliant on the balance of four major body fluids: blood, phlegm, black bile, and yellow bile. The concept arose in Ancient Greece, but persisted into the 19th century. Though the idea of the four humours and their effect on general health and temperament has been discarded in the field of medicine, many modern theories of psychology are based upon the four personality types associated with the four humours.

Ancient Greek and Roman thinkers and physicians theorized that physical and mental disorders were the result of an imbalance in one of the four humours. An excess of any of the four was thought to correspond a certain temperament in the patient. A large quantity of blood made the patient sanguine or cheerful, perhaps with too much energy. Too much phlegm made him or her phlegmatic, or cool and apathetic. An excess of black bile, also called spleen or melancholy and thought to be excreted by the spleen, would make a person melancholic or depressive. Finally, too much yellow bile, or choler, made for a choleric or easily angered temperament.

Medical treatments in the past were often attempts to rebalance the four humours. Bloodletting was common in the medieval era, and in the Elizabethan period, certain foods were thought to address complaints caused by an excess or deficit of certain humours. Each of the four humours was believed to be either hot or cold and either dry or wet, so that each corresponded to one of the four possible combinations of these attributes. To treat an excess of phlegm, then, which was considered warm and wet, the patient would be given foods considered cold and dry. This system is the basis behind current classifications of foods and wines using these terms, such as a "hot" pepper or a "dry" white wine.

The four humours system became a thing of the past with more modern and accurate understandings of human physiology. For example, it is now known that there is no such thing as "black bile" secreted by the spleen. However, the four temperaments associated with the humours are still considered useful in psychology, where they are considered the four basic categories of human personality, and personality disorders are grouped according to them. "

According to this theory, you wife will not get angry, because she lacks choler.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2008, 09:21:11 PM »
My wife is in a lot of pain but in good spirits , it was not possible to remove her Gall Bladder laproscopicly (with small periscopes) but had to be done with a major operation.  So it will be a while before she is comfortable .

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2008, 03:50:45 PM »

Wife is home now , still very sore and weak but improveing dayly.

I may go to work tomorrow , just for the rest.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2008, 03:58:10 PM »
mitigation means dilution, so perhaps the expression "unmitigated gall" is unrelated to any biological activity.

The term most likely refers to the four humors and four types of disposition. sanguine (blood). melancholic (black bile ), choleric (yellow bile), and phlegmatic (phlegm) .

"The four humours are the basis of ancient medicine.  "

"According to this theory, you wife will not get angry, because she lacks choler."

Indeed my wife is difficult to anger, a feature I like and admire.

Traditional medicines are less scientific than we are accustomed to , but do find the right way now and again by keeping up with what works after many years of trial and error , thus the explanation becomes less important than the results.