Author Topic: My Review of the Biden/Palin Debate  (Read 5534 times)

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
My Review of the Biden/Palin Debate
« on: October 03, 2008, 04:44:32 PM »
A real drag.   :-\

I will agree with BT that I am definitely disappointed that Palin was able to stand up at the podium and read her cards or recite her rehearsed lines for the camera without having a meltdown or have any of her limbs fall off.

This was a sort of referendum on Palin.  Everyone sort of knows Biden and knows he's smart and can debate his ace off but Palin was a wild card, an unknown and she had set the bar very low with her interviews.  While she did appear to have it together and didn't flake out, she failed miserably on everything else and that is why Americans who watched the debate and were polled following decided that Biden was the better performer.

This debate was a sort of continuation of the McCain/Obama debate.  While watching, it appeared that the GOP team was constantly on the attack and had nothing but disdain for the DEM team.  Like McCain with Obama, Palin offered up a slate of snark and sarcasm with a smile.  I submit that she didn't even offer Biden the respect deserved of an elder, much less a Senator who has dedicated his life to service.

What I fear may have happened with Palin and those who viewed her was that they did see themselves in her and the majority of those didn't like what they saw.  They saw a smart-alecky, little know-it-all who doesn't really know shit and will buck the rules and do anything other than to have to give a solid answer to a question including telling the moderator that she won't answer her questions.

For Biden's part, he did what he had to do as well.  He attacked McCain and didn't make any headlines.  Though Palin didn't, Biden was able to make it through the debate without telling lie upon lie and getting fact upon fact wrong.

For the most part, I felt (as I did with Obama) that Palin was pummeling him mercilessly but he wasn't punching back.  I was especially aware of his seething disdain for her (which I shared) and his occasional sighs or exhales during Palin's lies.

What wound up happening though is that rather than Biden appearing to beat up on Palin or condescend to her, the opposite happened.  Palin with her goofy Dan-Rather-esque "folksiness" complete with winks and grins and snide one-liners had all of her bullshit brought crashing down around her cute little puppy-dog ears when Biden reminded the country that he knows what they are going through because he knows what it is like to wonder if a child is going to live.

That moment was as real and respectable as anything I've even seen in regards to a politician.

Biden has never been my favorite.  He was always running down Dean and he seemed to be a media hog to me for the most part.  I've read up on him and he's a real person trying to do the right thing.  I learned he is consistently ranked as one of the poorest senators and that is respectable to me.

Following the debate, I fully expected Palin to have won over the world with her non-answer answers.  I found it utterly shocking that the insta-polls showed that Palin had done not nearly as well as Biden.  She came off as likable to some, I'm sure.  From where I sat, she seemed like a nice woman who in way over her head prior to the debate.  Now, I no longer consider her a nice woman.  She is simply the snarky, little beauty queen who got herself elected.  I'm sure she could learn all she needs to know because those kinds of people usually can when their backs are against the wall but she is not qualified to be president ergo she is not qualified to be VP.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: My Review of the Biden/Palin Debate
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2008, 04:53:12 PM »
A real drag.   :-\  I will agree with BT that I am definitely disappointed that Palin was able to stand up at the podium and read her cards or recite her rehearsed lines for the camera without having a meltdown or have any of her limbs fall off....What I fear may have happened with Palin and those who viewed her was that they did see themselves in her and the majority of those didn't like what they saw....They saw a smart-alecky, little know-it-all who doesn't really know shit and will buck the rules and do anything other than to have to give a solid answer to a question including telling the moderator that she won't answer her questions....She is simply the snarky, little beauty queen who got herself elected.

I fear Brass saw what he wanted to see, and ought not speak for those who aren't already consumed about how dangerously unqualified she's supposed to be
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2008, 05:01:34 PM »
I fear Brass saw what he wanted to see, and ought not speak for those who aren't already consumed about how dangerously unqualified she's supposed to be.

You may fear some things, but I sense that you do not fear that Brass saw what he wanted to see.

I did not seem to get the impression that Brass was speaking for "those who aren't already consumed about how dangerously unqualified she's supposed to be" , ie, you.

If you feel that she demonstrated great presidential competence, I would offer the thought that no one will stop you from doing so now, and explaining why you think this is so.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2008, 05:10:27 PM »
When Fridays roll around, is reading comprehension more of a problem for you, Xo?  i.e. "me" am not one of those consumed with how dangerously unqualified Palin is supposed to be.  Those would be the ones who have actually opined/implied such.  I doubt you'll find any such inferrence from any of my posts       ::)
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2008, 07:49:27 PM »
Palin did fine, Biden did fine.

They will both make fine VP's.

Knutey

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2008, 10:30:36 PM »
Palin did fine, Biden did fine.

They will both make fine VP's.

True since VP's usually do nothing. She will however be a disaster when the old idiot dies of surprise if he is elected.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2008, 11:54:15 PM »
I liked Brass' take on this.  I of course loathed Palin not only for what she stands for politically but for all the negative personal traits that Brass had so accurately observed.  Every one of them.  But being a conceited ass who thinks himself so much smarter than the average Joe, I was anguished by the thought that the morons watching the debate (i.e., everyone else) were going to be taken in by the phony little-girl cuteseyness of Miss Congeniality, the winks, the smirks, the gosh-us-hockey-moms and the phony back-handed compliments she so freely passed out, "I respect you for calling Obama a lying sack of shit, I respect you for saying he was totally unqualified to be President, I respect you for saying that Obama bin Laden would make a better President . . ."

Well, I was pleasantly surprised by the polling that showed that Biden had come out ahead in the public's eye.  Maybe they're not all as fucking dumb as I had expected.  Maybe they WILL put aside their dyed-in-the-wool racism and do the right thing in November.  The gap does appear to be widening the more the Republican candidates expose themselves to the daylight.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2008, 12:45:46 AM »
Well, I was pleasantly surprised by the polling that showed that Biden had come out ahead in the public's eye. 

Will you be crushed or proud when you find out the insta-polling was faked?

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2008, 02:06:08 AM »
I'd be mildly surprised at the poll being faked, but neither crushed nor proud.  A little relieved, I guess, not to be as out of touch with the average citizen as now appears, because I always prided myself on my ability to read the public mind. 

How do you know it's faked?

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2008, 02:23:33 AM »

I don't.

I suspect it was, for the same reasons you do. We both watched it, we both filtered through different lenses and both were amazed at the poll results. Brass was too.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2008, 12:13:55 PM »
"I...But being a conceited ass who thinks himself so much smarter than the average Joe, I was anguished by the thought that the morons watching the debate (i.e., everyone else) were going to be taken in ..."

Oh please ...
please
please
please

Never change

chickencounter

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2008, 01:40:03 PM »

I don't.

I suspect it was, for the same reasons you do. We both watched it, we both filtered through different lenses and both were amazed at the poll results. Brass was too.

I wasn't.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2008, 02:05:27 PM »
I wasn't.

See what I mean about polls?

Knutey

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2008, 03:50:37 PM »

I don't.

The main faked thing about the debate was Pailn, but even the Dr Doolittles of the right were thwarted by her incessant stupid and/or phoney dialect even after they taught he how to pronounce Achmenijad.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2008, 04:52:31 PM »
She could have recoted the alphabet in spanish and it wouldn't have mattered.

What matters is how many undecideds she connected with.

How many undecideds felt like she understood.

How many undecideds would not be surprised to see her at a grocery store.

That is what matters and i think she did well with that.