Author Topic: O Brother, Where Art Thou?  (Read 3565 times)

Cynthia

O Brother, Where Art Thou?
« on: October 10, 2008, 10:41:33 PM »
Lovely movie. On tonight encore presentation.

Music is classic American blues, bluegrass, gospel. I had forgotten what a delightful movie this is, indeed.

I'll have to crank up the tunes again. McClintock's music is gold.

The flood in the valley sounds like today's financial fiasco. Wash out the old and bring in the new age of reason. ha!

Great lines in the movie. Poignant!

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: O Brother, Where Art Thou?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2008, 11:53:44 PM »
will definately put it on my netflix
I`ve been meaning to check that movie ,but always forget
thanks

Cynthia

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2008, 11:55:22 PM »
will definately put it on my netflix
I`ve been meaning to check that movie ,but always forget
thanks

It is a nice "moving" get your happy feet up and dance-movie.

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 02:18:00 PM »
OBWAT is definitely one of the Coen Brothers' best films. 

The first time I saw it, I was sort of nonplussed but when I saw it again, I rolled with laughter.  Today it is one of my faves of theirs.

Personally, I find it interesting because it takes place in rural Mississippi (in the 20's, I think) but those characters and their mannerisms are very, very familiar to me.  Clooney looks slightly similar to one of my uncles.

Also, there is a shot of a newspaper at one point where they say that the dam is going up in Arkabutla.  Arkabutla Lake (and Dam) are about 40 minutes south of my house.  (It's also the birthplace of James Earl Jones.)

Great movie!  (I love Pappy O'Daniel! "How we gonna run as the RE-form candidate when we're the god damned incumbent!?)

Cynthia

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008, 11:02:38 PM »
OBWAT is definitely one of the Coen Brothers' best films. 

The first time I saw it, I was sort of nonplussed but when I saw it again, I rolled with laughter.  Today it is one of my faves of theirs.

Personally, I find it interesting because it takes place in rural Mississippi (in the 20's, I think) but those characters and their mannerisms are very, very familiar to me.  Clooney looks slightly similar to one of my uncles.

Also, there is a shot of a newspaper at one point where they say that the dam is going up in Arkabutla.  Arkabutla Lake (and Dam) are about 40 minutes south of my house.  (It's also the birthplace of James Earl Jones.)

Great movie!  (I love Pappy O'Daniel! "How we gonna run as the RE-form candidate when we're the god damned incumbent!?)

YEs, very funny. This is the second time I've seen the film. The music is so attractive that the plot is sometimes lost in the notation.
I watched a documentary recently on a flood that occured in the early part of the past century. Suddenly, the scene in the movie hit me like the flash of that flood.....that was it! The very flood.

Anyway, I love the movie on so many levels now.

BTW, yeah..CLooney is a looker. HE looks exactly like my ex Iranian Husband.

fatman

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2008, 01:25:18 AM »
I think my favorite Coen bros movie was Miller's Crossing.  Not a famous movie by any stretch, and kind of dark, but I've always liked it for it's Irish mafia theme.  A lot better than Road to Perdition or Boondock Saints.

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2008, 04:24:41 PM »
I think my favorite Coen bros movie was Miller's Crossing.  Not a famous movie by any stretch, and kind of dark, but I've always liked it for it's Irish mafia theme.  A lot better than Road to Perdition or Boondock Saints.

I'm beggin' you!  Look in yah hahrt!

ALWAYS PUT ONE IN DA BRAAAAAIN!

Cynthia

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2008, 11:42:36 PM »
Down to the River to Pray....

Alisos Krauss....

I sang it to my mama today...
Lord, she's 83.

My mama is from West "by God" Virginia....

Good as good can get.

God bless my mama.

Good old Alison K.
she made my mama's day today....

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2008, 01:08:10 PM »
The plot, in the event you did not recognize it, is the plot of Homer's Odyssey, set in Mississippi instead of the Mediterranean. There are sirens, a Cyclops (the one-eyed thief played by John Goodman) and most of the others they meet are also recreations of the people and creatures Odysseus meets on his return to Ithaca.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Cynthia

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2008, 01:32:55 PM »
The plot, in the event you did not recognize it, is the plot of Homer's Odyssey, set in Mississippi instead of the Mediterranean. There are sirens, a Cyclops (the one-eyed thief played by John Goodman) and most of the others they meet are also recreations of the people and creatures Odysseus meets on his return to Ithaca.

Being a musician, I actually fell "in love" with the music.
Great analysis, Xavier.
Thanks,
Cindy