Author Topic: Angry Iraqi Throws Shoe at Bush  (Read 12230 times)

Henny

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Angry Iraqi Throws Shoe at Bush
« on: December 14, 2008, 03:32:22 PM »
This has got to be, hands down, the dumbest thing I've ever seen, and I've seen it several times on the news here already (including slow-motion replays). For a minute, I thought a liberal Hoot was over there.

Angry Iraqi throws shoes at Bush in Baghdad

* Story Highlights
    * Shoe-thrower dragged away; Bush makes light of incident
    * Bush makes unannounced visit to Iraq, will address troops
    * Visit meant to mark the conclusion of the security pact with Iraq
    * Among Muslims, throwing shoes at someone is an insult

(CNN) -- President Bush made a farewell visit Sunday to Baghdad, Iraq, where he met with Iraqi leaders and was targeted by an angry Iraqi man, who jumped up and threw shoes at Bush during a news conference.

Among Muslims, throwing shoes at someone, or sitting so that the bottom of a shoe faces another person, is considered an insult.

The man was dragged out screaming after throwing the shoes. Bush ducked, and the shoes, thrown one at a time, sailed past his head during the news conference with Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki in his palace in the heavily fortified Green Zone.

As the man continued to scream from another room, Bush said: "That was a size 10 shoe he threw at me, you may want to know."

Bush had been lauding the conclusion of the security pact with Iraq as journalists looked on.

Bush landed at Baghdad International Airport on Sunday and traveled by helicopter to meet with President Jalal Talabani and his two vice presidents at Talabani's palace outside the Green Zone.

It marked the first time he has been outside the heavily fortified Green Zone in Baghdad without being on a military base.

The visit was Bush's fourth since the U.S.-led invasion of Iraq in March 2003.

Afterward, Talabani praised his U.S. counterpart as a "great friend for the Iraqi people" and the man "who helped us to liberate our country and to reach this day, which we have democracy, human rights, and prosperity gradually in our country." VideoWatch President Bush and Iraq's president walk the red carpet ?

Talabani said he and Bush, who is slated to leave office next month, had spoken "very frankly and friendly" and expressed the hope that the two would remain friends even "back in Texas."

For his part, Bush said he had come to admire Talabani and his vice presidents "for their courage and for their determination to succeed."

As the U.S. and Iraqi national anthems played and Iraqi troops looked on, he and the Iraqi president walked along a red carpet.

Bush's trip was to celebrate the conclusion of the security pact with Iraq, called the Strategic Framework Agreement and the Status of Forces Agreement, the White House said.

Bush called the passage of the pact "a way forward to help the Iraqi people realize the blessings of a free society."

Bush said the work "hasn't been easy, but it has been necessary for American security, Iraqi hope, and world peace."

In remarks to reporters, National Security Adviser Stephen Hadley, who traveled with Bush, described the situation in Iraq as "in a transition."

"For the first time in Iraq's history and really the first time in the region, you have Sunni, Shia and Kurds working together in a democratic framework to chart a way forward for their country," he said.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Angry Iraqi Throws Shoe at Bush
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2008, 04:12:07 PM »
Success was never garunteed, and it still isn't, but bit by bit it seems more likely all the time.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2008, 04:48:08 PM »
It would be nice if everyone, everywhere would just get along.
I am all for that.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Brassmask

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2008, 05:26:43 PM »
Gotta say I had a lot of feelings about that when I saw the video online a little while ago.

It's kind of a childish thing for a guy to do.  Throwing something at a US president can get a somebody shot.

Then, there was a second of "WTF? Who does that Iraqi guy think he is throwing something at a US president?" but that was short-lived.

Then there's the idea that that sort is a good expression of how Iraqis should feel.

I think what I'm going to wind up taking away from this is really two things though.

First, I have to admit that I'm VERY impressed that Bush A) had the wherewithal and reflexes to totally duck both shoes and B) that he didn't hit the deck like a total wuss, screaming like a little girl.  That second point I find most surprising.

The Second point, very concerning, is that the guy was able to get one shoe off and throw it right at Bush in the first place; then, scariest of all, is that he was able to get a second shoe off and throw it as well before any secret service was even close to him.

Knutey

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2008, 05:56:23 PM »
Success was never garunteed, and it still isn't, but bit by bit it seems more likely all the time.

You find sunshine in the strangest places, Pollyanna.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2008, 06:02:42 PM »
Gotta say I had a lot of feelings about that when I saw the video online a little while ago.

It's kind of a childish thing for a guy to do.  Throwing something at a US president can get a somebody shot.

Then, there was a second of "WTF? Who does that Iraqi guy think he is throwing something at a US president?" but that was short-lived.

Then there's the idea that that sort is a good expression of how Iraqis should feel.

I think what I'm going to wind up taking away from this is really two things though.

First, I have to admit that I'm VERY impressed that Bush A) had the wherewithal and reflexes to totally duck both shoes and B) that he didn't hit the deck like a total wuss, screaming like a little girl.  That second point I find most surprising.

The Second point, very concerning, is that the guy was able to get one shoe off and throw it right at Bush in the first place; then, scariest of all, is that he was able to get a second shoe off and throw it as well before any secret service was even close to him.

Good throws wern't they?

This is definately how one Iriqui feels , how do most of them feel?

Knutey

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2008, 06:07:39 PM »

My wife asked me if the shoes missed because of the Bushidiot's football experience I reminded her that he was a cheerleader in college. A football player would have caught the shoes. A wussy cheerleader ducks.

richpo64

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2008, 06:12:43 PM »
How come the guys still breathing?

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2008, 06:22:30 PM »
  Does Bush get to keep the shoes?

richpo64

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2008, 06:24:41 PM »
Why not? We paid for them.

Knutey

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2008, 06:32:41 PM »

Because the rest of the Iraqis in the room hate the Bushidiot just as much , but were more chicken than the shoe thrower.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2008, 06:39:56 PM »
I reminded her that he was a cheerleader in college. A football player would have caught the shoes. A wussy cheerleader ducks.

Glad you "reminded" her of incorrect information. But that's about par for the course.

And he played baseball in high school - and they are also trained to duck when the ball is thrown at them and they don't have a glove on.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2008, 06:47:04 PM »

kind of ironic...if the guy throwing the shoe had done
that to Saddam he probably would be dead or imprisoned

"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

Knutey

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2008, 07:39:55 PM »
I reminded her that he was a cheerleader in college. A football player would have caught the shoes. A wussy cheerleader ducks.

Glad you "reminded" her of incorrect information. But that's about par for the course.

And he played baseball in high school - and they are also trained to duck when the ball is thrown at them and they don't have a glove on.

The real liar is the one that accuses others of lying whwn they are telling the truth. We were talking about FOOTball. The Bushidiot did not play football in college. He was an cheerleader at Andover and those guys are usually wusses.

He may have played baseball. I dint give a shit about that cause that is a wussy sport as well.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2008, 08:45:35 PM »

============================
So you think that throwing shoes should merit an instant death penalty.

Typical.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."