Author Topic: A Sad State of Affairs  (Read 702 times)

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 09:58:31 PM by Kramer »

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: A Sad State of Affairs
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 10:25:17 PM »
Thanks, Kramer, interesting article.  My heart went out to the True Believers, and I was especially struck by this quote from one of them:
<<But I'm a true believer. He was never dishonest about this being easy. It's really hard." >>  I like that and I can relate to it.  I wish I could feel that way myself.

But the article was dishonest in a way, because it dealt with a sense of disappointment, but scrupulously avoided any hint of a sense of betrayal.  The True Believers seem to feel that Obama gave it his best shot but was being beaten back by superior forces of inertia and vested interests.  I don't see how they can ignore the obvious signs of betrayal:

- the war is being escalated
- the torturers will not be prosecuted
- Bundles for Wall Street
- rendition for torture continues
- the Austerity Commission is a real sleeper, IMHO, another step into unaccountable governance, backwards into taxation without representation
- the absolute refusal to take responsibility for health-care reform

There are probably many other reasons as well for Obama supporters to feel betrayed.  Obama is not going to rock any boats, that much is obvious.  That he never intended to is slowly becoming apparent.

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 10:34:18 PM »
Mike looks like you have come to realize that Obama is just another lying sack of shit politician.

why is it that from day myself and millions of others saw through him? Maybe there is a clinical answer that can explain so many gullible people being so easily fooled by such an average intellect in Obama, Yes his machine orchestrated his moves and yes he can read a teleprompter but it's so amazing that such a zero of a person could pull this off. I wonder if the people that voted for him are more ignorant than him...yes of course they are.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2010, 08:25:23 AM »
....  I don't see how they can ignore the obvious signs of betrayal:

- the war is being escalated
instead of being lost?
- the torturers will not be prosecuted
Seriously? When did he promise this ? If he had promised to do that it would have cost him the election. 
- Bundles for Wall Street
  Instead of a stock market crash?
- rendition for torture continues
These guys can't ever be sent home?
- the Austerity Commission is a real sleeper, IMHO, another step into unaccountable governance, backwards into taxation without representation
I hadn't heard abot this , what is up? 
- the absolute refusal to take responsibility for health-care reform
Hehehehe! Better that he fail than succeed , did you take note of how that bill was turning out? 

There are probably many other reasons as well for Obama supporters to feel betrayed.  Obama is not going to rock any boats, that much is obvious.  That he never intended to is slowly becoming apparent.

He didn't actually promise so much as you sem to suppose, he just looked very presidential while chattering comentors ascribed their best imagined virtues to his "blank sheet".

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 11:36:18 AM »
What Obama specifically promised is beside the point.  To a lot of people, it was understood by the way he conducted himself that he would restore respect for the rule of law and abandon the criminal activities of the Bush Administration.  He must have known, couldn't have avoided it, that all of the decent, law-abiding people of America interpreted his words as an implicit promise to return to a rule of law, which necessarily implied prosecution of criminals and abandonment of torture and illegal imprisonment.  By NOT SAYING ANYTHING to contradict a widespread belief in what he was going to do, I consider him dishonest maybe not in a strictly legal way but in a moral and manly way.  He's damaged goods in my eyes and in the eyes of millions of others, even if you can't point to the specific words of the "promises" that he made.

The false dichotomy between escalation and loss of a war that the U.S. has no business being in is meaningless.  War is wrong unless defensive and the only real casus belli that the U.S. had in Afghanistan was for a punitive expedition and nothing more.  In Iraq the war was totally illegal and immoral from the start.  Victory is not a legitimate outcome in either conflict.  Besides which victory will never be achieved in either country.  Pulling out with apologies and reparations is the only legitimate resolution of both wars, although the reparations to Afghanistan should not be total, the U.S. should exclude reparations for any damage that could have been caused by any legitimate and proportionate punitive expedition.

The Austerity Commission is not an official name but the "bipartisan" commission is one of the administration's proposals for resolving where spending cuts are to be made to bring down the deficit.  Thus the administration hopes to de-politicize the spending cuts by blaming them on a non-elected body of appointees who like the Federal Reserve Board can divorce the legislature from the consequences of what are essentially outsourced legislative functions.  IMHO, another body blow to the concept of representative democracy.  This is more or less a verifiable development in my prediction of a long, slow slide of the U.S. into what I rather loosely choose to call "fascism."  The elected representatives of the people taking less and less responsibilities for the decisions that they were elected to make.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 03:19:23 PM »
This is more or less a verifiable development in my prediction of a long, slow slide of the U.S. into what I rather loosely choose to call "fascism."  The elected representatives of the people taking less and less responsibilities for the decisions that they were elected to make.

Ahhh, Tee's starting to grasp the real Obama & co
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle