Author Topic: Flowchart: should I vaccinate my child?  (Read 13089 times)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Flowchart: should I vaccinate my child?
« Reply #45 on: August 18, 2015, 04:10:06 PM »
No, since I would chose to have my child vaccinated
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: August 18, 2015, 09:33:02 PM »
    I didn't know that anyone was forced to take a smallpox vaccination.

I got it as a kid , and I can't imagine my parents opting out of the protection, I got Polio vaccination too.

But was it a choice or was it done by force?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: August 18, 2015, 09:53:47 PM »
I am sure that among the millions and millions that were vaccinated against smallpox, there were some who refused and were vaccinated against their will. For whatever reason: religion, fear of witchcraft, colonial suppression, tribal mistrust. All these reasons were insufficient to the goal of ending smallpox.

It is like the flowchart at the beginning of this post.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2015, 02:22:45 AM »
I think thats not how it happened. Parent permission was always needed but today more opted out alot more than in the past and today sufficient amounts created a safe pocket for some of the old illnesses to finally spread .

This totally does not mean vaccines do not work just that small pocket out breaks will be part of our lives now.

The real issue is where these outbreak happens. If it places more incline to opt out then it may also be places that is more likely to be slow to quarantine if at all.

I think schools today legally cannot temporarily exclude sick kids. Ex. Lice

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: August 19, 2015, 03:55:06 AM »
I think thats not how it happened. Parent permission was always needed but today more opted out alot more than in the past and today sufficient amounts created a safe pocket for some of the old illnesses to finally spread .

I do believe you're right on the mark, Kimba
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: August 19, 2015, 07:33:09 AM »
The dippy ex-Playboy bunny has caused a lot of harm by spreading all that untrue crap about how vaccines cause autism.

More children will die and many more than that will suffer for no good reason because of her.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: August 19, 2015, 08:07:26 AM »
Im not a parent so you can disregard my opinion on this matter. But i think that giving children shot can be traumatic thing fir a parent and likely the more wimpy parent use lame excuses to not give them. Remember children associate doctors visit with needles and pain. So parent get the fun of dragging thier child to the doctors office. So when the kids is school age i think the more whiney child will be abke to skip shot with the parents backing.

The problem today is vaccination is grew to a religious right issue so families has to double down . Anybody willing to bet we will see many sick children and those will be used as more proof vaccine never worked and more children will turn vegan and not take shots.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: August 19, 2015, 08:52:19 AM »
There is really nothing in any religion against vaccinations, as all the religions were created before the concept of vaccination was introduced. But then, most people who practice a religion do not actually know much about what their religion says and if some foolish priest, minister, preacher or whatever decides that the religion requires this or bans that, it is rare that the members of the congregation will question him. That is how barbaric nonsense like female circumcision became part of Islam. Male circumcision may make STD's more difficult to contract and is not so disfiguring. Of course, the original purpose was to prevent a major cause of military defeat: soldiers who saw that the other side was winning and changed their uniforms for one from a dead enemy.  If the soldier was circumcised, he could not deny that he was Jewish or Muslim and it was therefore an advantage to members of those religions.

In ancient times, wars were mostly fought for plunder and territory and no one wanted to be on  the losing side, as it usually meant that you would be a slave.

I agree that children hate getting shots, I still dislike blood tests and shots myself. But since the benefits outweigh the brief discomfort, I never complain.
It is the responsibility of the parent to explain how shots work to children. 

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: August 19, 2015, 01:02:18 PM »
....and the right of the parent to decide if their child is to be vaccinated

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: August 19, 2015, 04:28:51 PM »
If there were an ebola scare in the US and they thought it was going to spread and they had a vaccine to stop it, they would quarantine the area and vaccinate everyone and let them sue later. And that is what they SHOULD do.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: August 19, 2015, 05:20:05 PM »
We'll cross that bridge, if that were to ever happen

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: August 19, 2015, 06:40:13 PM »
We already pretty much crossed it.
Note what happened when that nurse returned from Africa.
After a quarantine period that nurse left, but after that she did not come into contact with anyone for weeks.

It is the primary goal of the government to protect the people from epidemic diseases.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: August 19, 2015, 07:04:01 PM »

It is the primary goal of the government to protect the people from epidemic diseases.

That is OK.

But do you want a Government that protects people from themselves?

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: August 19, 2015, 08:54:52 PM »
Protect from ourselves is a s.ippery slope. Something like refusing vaccines may risk us. Some people today on purpose get smallpox, measles ,mumps as a treatment for the disease.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: August 19, 2015, 09:13:11 PM »
   Were the people of the past more reasonable than people are now?

Smallpox was eradicated two centuries after the vaccine was discovered .

Polio is close to eradicated sixty years after the vaccine was developed , it remains in a few pockets where Islamic leaders do not trust western medicine enough to allow it.

This sort of result does not require force .