Author Topic: Prayer Not prayer  (Read 7669 times)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Prayer Not prayer
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2015, 01:05:23 PM »
If politicians want to say they are praying for victims to recover, I have no problem with that. It is a way of indicating that they recognize there is a problem.
The opinion of God's personality is most likely a product of  what they have told you, rather than rational thought. What sort of loving  father would invent parasites like Guinea worms, or diseases like malaria or elephantiasis?

I find just saying that God much have a loving motive that we cannot understand with our puny minds. But then, who was it that made our minds so puny?

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2015, 08:29:01 PM »
Does a potter love his pots?

Is firing clay in a furnace a sign that he does not love the pots?

Do dog breeders and cattlemen love their animals?

Is it a sign of hatred that they cull?

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2015, 11:49:17 PM »
Well from what I know about cattle you really can't be attached to them. It's very common for some to just die. So asking how many head of cattle one has will never be a exact number.

In most farm a dog is not even a pet but more like a employee who you may put down if he does not perform well.

I think dog breeders may just be as objective since pure breeds has a high degree of defective births. Would not be surprised if culling starts right away. I'm a failed vet student and seen alot of stuff

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2015, 07:10:22 AM »
Well from what I know about cattle you really can't be attached to them.

I was raised on a cattle farm. I knew the owner well.

He loved the herd, he had a lot of enthusiasm for the breed, but he didn't name the individual cows. Most of them had numbers.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2015, 01:22:27 PM »
This is not the first time I've known of cattle given numbers instead of names. This might be common.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2015, 02:04:02 PM »
Do farmers torture and kill cattle that clearly do not love them?

I think they give them numbers because they raise them for meat.

They exploit the cows for milk as long as they produce, then they sell them for meat.

The steers they sell for meat as son as they are old enough.

If God were raising us to peddle our bodies for food to other deities, your analogy might make sense.

I am not a pot. I am not a dog raised for freakish features and clever abilities. I am not a cow or a bull, raised for food.

So I am going to reject all your analogies as invalid.

I have had several cats, and I really loved them, but they were cats, and there were days in which they clearly did not believe that I existed. They ignored me entirely.
Yet the thought to punish my kitty for ignoring me sometimes never occurred to me. I always fed and watered them and paid attention to them when they paid attention to me.

Jehovah as described in the Bible, is said to punish anyone who does not constantly praise him or believe in him. And somehow he is described as a God of Love. But condemning one's lesser intelligent beings for not being able to perceive them even when you know that they cannot see, smell or taste you is by no means an act of love. It is an act of petty spite at best.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2015, 09:20:50 PM »

If God were raising us to peddle our bodies for food to other deities, your analogy might make sense.

I am not a pot. I am not a dog raised for freakish features and clever abilities. I am not a cow or a bull, raised for food.

Have you no purpose at all?
Do farmers torture and kill cattle that clearly do not love them?

Yes.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2015, 10:55:00 PM »
The purpose of your life is to create your own purpose.

All farmers do is sell the cattle to a slaughterhouse.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2015, 11:36:31 PM »
  So you have forgotten that we were speaking of God.

But you think that you should be Gods cat.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2015, 01:12:27 PM »
Perhaps you missed the point.
Why should a perfect being and a loving God treat humans less well than an imperfect human normally treats his cat?

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2015, 08:07:06 PM »
 Firstly "less well"?

I have never met a cat , however pampered , that I was envious of. God gave me a better deal than ary tiger or housecat on the planet.

The Cats are Gods also. Your cat seems to have been blessed with a better than average custodian.

Secondly , human beings are blessed with language and cognition better than most creatures, is this inconsequential?

Thirdly , the purpose of a cat may not resemble the purpose of a human being.

I think we are more like Dogs.

Last , are you asking for more?

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew%207&version=NIV
    9 “Which of you, if your son asks for bread, will give him a stone? 10 Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? 11 If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him! 12 So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2015, 11:28:58 PM »
Whether we are more like dogs or cats is irrelevant. The fact is that God, as described in the Old Testament, is a jerk.
Why punish people you have made yourself invisible to, for not seeing you?

This makes no logical sense whatever.

You keep ignoring the video I posted and spouting Biblical nonsense. Can't you think logically for a change?

And Hell yes, I am asking for more. But not a bunch of wacko  biblical quotes.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: December 23, 2015, 12:23:29 AM »
I see it in the context of a parent. A parents job is not to cuddle or cater every whim of the child. It's the job of the parent ensure that child survives on its own somedays and that require some unpleasant things fir the child hopefully overcomes. God on the otherhand does not handle things case by case so what we see seems a touch more hands off than alot of us can handle. If you notice all problems ulimately requires compleTe cooperation and thats something we still git along away to reach. I do not believe god gives us only what we can handle. Far from it. I believes god gives us the tools to solves our own problems but we're just not willing to use it. The devil has the easiest job in the universe. We did this.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: December 23, 2015, 06:39:11 AM »
  Very Interesting Kimba.

Better than what I was planning to say.

I think it is scriptural also, God is presented as a parent is several scriptures.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: December 23, 2015, 09:08:17 AM »
There is no need for Satan. If Satan exists, he exists because God created him. It is pretty clear that it is hardly necessary to do evil to just screw things up. The choices we have are infinite, not just a choice between good and evil. The Bible tends to separate all decisions into good and evil, but in reality life is not like that.

Again, God as described in the Old Testament is a jerk. Watch and comment on the video I posted.

No loving parent would condemn his children to an eternity of punishment. Any deity that would do this can only be described as some sort of sicko sadist.

Again, I am discussing the nature of God here. It is entirely possible and even to my mind probably that God as described in the OT is just a construct of some cranky and unreasonable old unapproachable patriarch.

There are clearly different visions of both God and Jesus in the New Testament as well. One is the loving friend, the other is by contrast, the judge that condemns resurrected souls to eternal damnation and punishment.