Author Topic: The Attack on Imus  (Read 15204 times)

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: The Attack on Imus
« Reply #90 on: April 18, 2007, 02:06:19 PM »
But some of those African Americans are lifting themselves out of poverty and more than that, making more money than you and I will likely ever see, by writing those lyrics. If there wasn't a market for it, they would never see the success and wealth, correct?

Doing it by the same way Imus just lost his job is blatantly hypocritical, especially when it's given a "so what"?  Yea, the market is making them rich.  And at the same time, facilitating this blatant hypocrisy.  In my book, a wrong, is a wrong, is a wrong.  And to condemn and fire one while rationalizing to the hilt in order to give the other a pass, is the quintisential definition of hypocrisy

So what is your problem?

Asked and answered multiple times already

"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #91 on: April 18, 2007, 02:11:55 PM »
So the free market is wrong in this case?
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #92 on: April 18, 2007, 02:17:29 PM »
No, the Double Standard by the vast majority of the mainscream media, and liberal pundits who give a hypocritical pass to the double standard, is what's wrong in this case
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

_JS

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #93 on: April 18, 2007, 02:24:13 PM »
No, the Double Standard by the vast majority of the mainscream media, and liberal pundits who give a hypocritical pass to the double standard, is what's wrong in this case

Yes, yes, the horrid media and evil liberals...

Beyond that though is the essence of economics Sirs. Your are a pro market conservative. Why does it matter to you that hip hop lyrics have the language they do when they sell as well as they do? These guys make good money.

And Don Imus was fired after several of his advertisers pulled their support. Plus, his ratings were poor anyway, it was just that he hit a key demographic that some advertisers liked.

So it was a market decision. Why would that bother you? If the free market supports a double standard as you see it, should it not be left to the market to correct that if it is even necessary?
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #94 on: April 18, 2007, 02:34:46 PM »

Yes, yes, the horrid media and evil liberals...

Well, I wouldn't call them "evil", but to each his own

Beyond that though is the essence of economics Sirs. Your are a pro market conservative. Why does it matter to you that hip hop lyrics have the language they do when they sell as well as they do? These guys make good money.

You seem to be under the misguided presumption that I think something's wrong with the market.  Funny thing here, if the mainscream media and "evil" liberals were to actually criticize the egregiously foul & racist language in the hip hop industry, even half as vitriolic as they go after some old white guy who simply made a stupid joke, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if those sales #'s plummeted.  But since it continues to GET A PASS, it continues to get a relative stamp of approval & legitimacy by those entities.  Just conjecture on my part, but it'd be based on logic

« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 04:41:22 PM by sirs »

_JS

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #95 on: April 18, 2007, 02:36:32 PM »
You never answered my question. And no I didn't presume you thought anything was wrong with the market, actually the opposite, which is why I find your view on this bizarre.

If you truly believed in the market, then this entire incident shouldn't be a problem.
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster

Religious Dick

• Drunk, drunk, drunk in the gardens and the graves
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #96 on: April 18, 2007, 02:47:02 PM »

If you truly believed in the market, then this entire incident shouldn't be a problem.

It isn't, but I'm not assuming the market has spoken it's last word on this matter, either.

It wasn't that long ago the demise of the Dixie Chicks career was being predicted after Natalie Maines opened her mouth in London. Didn't quite work out that way over the long haul, did it?
I speak of civil, social man under law, and no other.
-Sir Edmund Burke

larry

« Reply #97 on: April 18, 2007, 03:35:47 PM »
Below you will find an email I received. After reading the email, I thought, maybe this is what Imus was all about. Maybe he is not prejudice, maybe he is just a white guy who is tired of the unjust discrimination towards white people.

The email:

Someone finally said it.
>
>How many are actually paying attention to this?
>
>
>
>There are African Americans, Mexican Americans, Asian Americans, Arab Americans,
Native Americans, etc.
>
>And then there are just Americans.
>
>
>
>You pass me on the street and sneer in my direction.
>
>You Call me "White boy," "Cracker," "Honkey,"
>
>"Whitey," "Caveman" . And that's OK.
>
>
>
>But when I call you, Nigger, Kike, Towel head, Sand-nigger, camel Jockey, Beaner,
Gook, or Chink ..
>
>You call me a racist.
>
>
>
>You say that whites commit a lot of violence against you, so why are the ghettos
the most dangerous places to live?
>
>
>
>You have the United Negro College Fund.
>
>You have Martin Luther King Day.
>
>You have Black History Month.
>
>You have Cesar Chavez Day.
>
>You have Yom Hashoah.
>
>You have Ma'uled Al-Nabi.
>
>You have the NAACP.
>
>You have BET.
>
>
>
>If we had WET (White Entertainment Television)
>
>We'd be racists.
>
>
>
>If we had a White Pride Day . You would call us racists.
>
>If we had White History Month . We'd be racists.
>
>If we had any organization for only whites to "advance" OUR Lives
we'd be racists.
>
>
>
>We have a Hispanic Chamber of Commerce, a Black Chamber of Commerce, and then
we just have the plain Chamber of Commerce.
>
>Wonder who pays for that?
>
>
>
>If we had a college fund that only gave white students scholarships ... You
know we'd be racists.
>
>
>
>There are over 60 openly proclaimed Black Colleges in the US , yet if there
were "White colleges" ..
>
>THAT would be a racist college.
>
>
>
>In the Million Man March, you believed that you were marching for your race
and rights. If we marched for our race and rights, you would call us racists.
>
>
>
>You are proud to be black, brown, yellow and orange, and you're not afraid
to announce it. But when we announce our white pride ..
>
>You call us racists.
>
>
>
>You rob us, carjack us, and shoot at us. But, when a white police officer shoots
a black gang member or beats up a black drug-dealer running from the law and posing
a threat to society you call him a racist.
>
>
>
>I am proud.
>
>But, you call me a racist.
>
>
>
>Why is it that only whites can be racists?
>
>
>
>There is nothing improper about this e-mail.
>
>Let's see which of you are proud enough to send it on.
>

The_Professor

« Reply #98 on: April 18, 2007, 03:44:46 PM »

It wasn't that long ago the demise of the Dixie Chicks career was being predicted after Natalie Maines opened her mouth in London. Didn't quite work out that way over the long haul, did it?

Yep, too bad, too.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #99 on: April 18, 2007, 04:09:52 PM »
Talking , or singing ,rough language can make one a lot of money.

Imus got rich deriding people.

Gansta rappers got rich shouting anger .

Ah! Now you're getting it.

It is the free market right? Don't you, Sirs, et al love the free market?

Shu re do , have I advocated a restriction on the first amendment right of either of these?

I would eschew support of these activities myself and encourage others to avoid them , but it is not worth the loss of right  required to forbid them.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 04:14:00 PM by Plane »

The_Professor

« Reply #100 on: April 18, 2007, 04:29:26 PM »
Plane, please call me when you get a chance.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 04:53:54 PM by The_Professor »

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #101 on: April 18, 2007, 04:30:54 PM »
Planee, please call me when you get a chance.

You may call me anytime this evening.

The_Professor

« Reply #102 on: April 18, 2007, 04:44:41 PM »
April 18, 2007 -- Massachusetts Sen. John Kerry yesterday said he doesn't think Don Imus should have been fired for his racially charged comments - a sharp break with the current Democratic 2008 front-runners.
"You know, the punishment has to fit the crime, so to speak," Kerry, the Democrats' defeated 2004 White House hopeful, told NY1.

Kerry, who had Imus' support in that race, said he might be willing to go on a future Imus show if the radio host finds a new station - but "if he goes back to doing the same old, same old, I'd have trouble doing that."

http://www.nypost.com/php/pfriendly/print.php?url=http://www.nypost.com/seven/04182007/news/nationalnews/kerry__imus_firing_unfair_nationalnews_maggie_haberman.htm

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #103 on: April 18, 2007, 04:50:21 PM »
You never answered my question.

Yes, I have.  You're the 1 trying to combine market forces and criticism of comments/lyrics.  Just because the marker provides racists in making money in the hip hop industry, doesn't make what they do acceptable.  And worse is when such is literally given a pass, as best as I can tell because of fear of being called racist themselves because they dare criticize what are largely Afrcan americans (that make up the industry in question) but if some old white man even makes a moronic joke, he's raked over the coals.  Are you getting the difference, yet?  I'm talking 1 thing, the hypocritical double standard, and you keep trying to bring in the market, as if that's what we're talking about

From a market standpoint, IT'S NOT.  I don't know how many more times you want me to repeat myself.  Alex Rodriquez & Alfonso Soriano have no busness making the money they make simply playing a game, but that's what the market is paying them, and I still love to watch baseball.  See the difference?

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #104 on: April 18, 2007, 09:37:54 PM »
<<Warren Buffet is polite , he is a deal maker , and deals are easyer to make with courtesy.>>

There ya go, plane.  You just answered your own question.  [Is there any money in being polite?]