Author Topic: BDS?.....check out Buffettitis  (Read 9605 times)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: BDS?.....check out Buffettitis
« Reply #75 on: December 05, 2012, 07:48:24 PM »
Buffett is clearly describing the situation accurately when he says that his secretary pays a higher percentage of her income than he does,

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #77 on: December 05, 2012, 09:50:56 PM »
Hard to ignore or rationalize the alleged slurs without a slur being produced to look at.

I'm sure the class is noticing.

I'm sure they already have  But just as expected, the uber sematic scapel came out, and has tried every bit of rationalizing.  Demand an example of a conservative being derided, sirs provides it, and its immediately poopoo'd....hey, its just a lobbiest, and and and you still didn't provide the exact quote, and and and you're just wrong.  And if you don't admit it....well.....you just can't be bothered with having your assertions challenged

Well if some people do not pay tax on their income, advocating a streamlined flat/fair tax would raise the taxes on that class, and voila tax pledge broken.

Oh I hope that wasn't too harsh on old Grover. I'd hate to be considered a hard core leftist.

Hmmm, are you consistently supporting liberal causes??  Liberal candidates??  Calling anone that disagrees with you racist or greedy??  Do you purposely distort how taxes are paied to imply an underling pays more taxes than you do??

I'm sorry did you provide it? What did he say, when did he say it, to whom did he say it, and in what context.

I saw nothing of the sort from you.

Quit the semantic knife BS and back up your assertions or admit that you can not.

You made the claim. Not I.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #79 on: December 05, 2012, 10:27:03 PM »
I'm sorry i do not see what Buffett is alleged to have said, to whom, about what, and in what context concerning Grover.

The best you have done is this:
I've seen and heard his comments regarding conservatives and their positions on taxes, Norquist being the latest example.

in you reply #68

Posting dead end links doesn't cut it.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #80 on: December 06, 2012, 03:50:47 AM »
RICH LEFTIES AND THEIR TAXES

Ah, the hypocrisy of tax-hikers who do everything they can to avoid the taxes they wish to impose on others.

Sen. John Kerry, D-Mass.: He tried to avoid $500K in his home state’s sales and excise taxes by docking his newly purchased $7 million 76-foot yacht in Rhode Island.

Massachusetts lowered its state income tax in 2001. Given the presumably large number of rich people who pine to pay more taxes, the state allowed tax filers to check a box and voluntarily pay the old, higher rate. In a liberal state of over 3 million tax filers, how many volunteered to pay the higher rate in 2004? A tiny fraction of 1 percent – 930 taxpayers.

Among those who refused to pay the higher rate? Sen. Kerry and Rep. Barney Frank. In Frank’s case, he refused to pay the higher rate because, he says, “I don’t trust the legislative leadership and Gov. (Mitt) Romney to make the right decisions.” Instead, Frank said, “I’ll donate the money myself.”

John Edwards, former senator and Democratic presidential candidate: His wife, Elizabeth, once called him a person of “character” because Edwards voted against his own economic “interests” by voting for higher taxes. Well, OK, but like billionaire investor Warren Buffett, who urges higher taxes, Edwards is less than keen on paying them. As a lawyer winning major jury awards, John set up a subchapter S corporation to pay himself through dividends – and thus avoid $600K in Medicare payroll taxes.

Kennedy patriarch Joe Kennedy: The late Ted Kennedy and his family shield their money through a series of complicated family trusts first begun by father Joe Kennedy. The trusts transfer wealth from generation to generation while avoiding estate taxes.

The late Ohio Democratic Sen. Howard Metzenbaum: A liberal’s liberal, Metzenbaum enjoyed a lifetime rating from Americans for Democratic Action of 95 (100 being perfect) and a zero from the American Conservative Union. He never met a tax hike he did not like. He moved to Florida when he retired from the Senate. Why Florida? No state estate or personal income taxes.

“Civil rights” leader and MSNB-Hee Haw host Al Sharpton: Though he supports increasing taxes on the rich, Sharpton, it seems, fails to do his part as a member of the 1 percent. As of last year, according to the New York Post, Sharpton owed $3.5 million in state and federal income taxes. His nonprofit, the National Action Network, as of 2011 owes nearly $900K in unpaid federal payroll taxes.

What do these individual instances of hypocrisy say about whether taxes should be increased on the so-called rich?

First, contrary to Buffett’s assertion, people absolutely make decisions and change behavior in response to taxes. Compare the economies of Texas and California, two border states with similar immigrant populations. Texas is a no-income-tax, right-to-work, business-friendly state with substantially less regulation than the Obama-like high-tax (especially on the “the rich” and on business), forced unionism, heavily regulated state of California. Texas also has one of the lowest per-capita spending rates, while California has one of the highest.

The result?

According to Investor’s Business Daily, state gross domestic product growth in Texas was 3.3 percent in 2011 and 5.2 percent in 2010, while California was 2 percent in 2011 and 1.7 percent in 2010. Texas has created more than twice as many new jobs as California and has a below-the-national-average jobless rate of 6.8 percent. California’s unemployment rate is 10.2 percent.

From 2008 to 2011, Texans’ median hourly wages rose 8 percent, while Californians’ rose 5.7 percent. And per-capita personal income during those years rose 1.3 percent in Texas, while falling almost 1 percent in California. California’s poverty rate is 23.5 percent, to Texas’ 16.5 percent, and Texas spends less on education, while its students outperform their California counterparts.

Second, because people change behavior in response to taxes, raising them can result in getting less revenue. John Kennedy said, “It is a paradoxical truth that tax rates are too high today and tax revenues are too low – and the soundest way to raise revenues in the long run is to cut rates now.”

The Congressional Budget Office just issued a report on what would happen to the economy if Congress fails to retain the Bush-era tax rates. Keeping the Bush-era rates for all but the rich, the CBO says, adds 1.25 percentage points to GDP. Retaining tax rates for all, including the rich, however, adds 1.5 percent to the economy. In other words, raising taxes on the rich lowers economic output. Does a quarter of a percentage matter? The CBO says it will “only” reduce job growth by about 200,000 jobs – although other reputable studies put the number at 700,000 jobs.

Taxes matter.
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #81 on: December 06, 2012, 07:11:51 AM »
http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2012/fortune/1205/gallery.500-CEO-political-donations.fortune/index.html

His money is Democrat.

So? His brother donates GOP.  Donations don't define either as hard core anything anymore than you voting for Jim Marshall makes you a hard core leftist.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #82 on: December 07, 2012, 12:31:00 AM »
What a great memory! I voted for Marshal, but not recently.

Where your treasure is , there your heart is also.

The best evidence I can find that Warren Buffet is left of center , is the stuff he seems to say , that same stuff that President Obama likes to quote and the stuff that gets a "rule" named after him.

I think Warren is very canny and what he says may be said for an effect he wants rather than reflecting his deepest thoughts, but how can I know?

What he says is what I have to go on.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #83 on: December 07, 2012, 12:50:14 AM »
And based on your writings i would say you are right of center. Does that make you a hardcore righty?

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #84 on: December 07, 2012, 12:53:53 AM »
And based on your writings i would say you are right of center. Does that make you a hardcore righty?

I like to think so , and if what I write conveys my thoughts well this is the impression you should be getting.

But by hard core , do you mean frozen , inflexable , thoughtless?

I would not like to make that impression.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #85 on: December 07, 2012, 01:16:54 AM »
But by hard core , do you mean frozen , inflexable , thoughtless?

There is no telling . In the context of this thread it could be you walked by a militia man (genuine or FBI plant , as the case may be) set on blowing up the Atlanta Federal Reserve and gotten some of that hard core on ya.

I think the whole point of that line of description was to demonize the messenger so as to have the message dropped like a hot potato. What was worse was hard core got in the way of the hypocrite dance.

A whole lot of that going on these days.

You asked me once what makes a good debate. Best i can tell is you need to understand the other sides point of view. In other words you need to be able to listen, and its hard to listen when you are screaming evil devil at the same time.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #86 on: December 07, 2012, 01:27:41 AM »
I like the point you are making.

Probly to much to argue with it .

So.. Back to Warren Buffet, if he is in frount of the parade , does not mean he is leading it?

I am not sure he is a "hard core " anything , but he seems willing to be usefull to the left in its aim to increase the role of government in the lives we lead.

If investment income gets taxed at a rate just as high as income tax , will anyone ever get wealthy with good investment ? Will anyone invest in anything?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #87 on: December 07, 2012, 02:39:44 AM »
...and here's one of the strangest parts....all this effort in order to wrap around 1 descriptive phrase, all the while ignoring the points made regarding the supposed "evil devil".   Makes one wonder.....why?

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #88 on: December 07, 2012, 02:43:34 AM »
...and here's one of the strangest parts....all this effort in order to wrap around 1 descriptive phrase, all the while ignoring the points made regarding the supposed "evil devil".   Makes one wonder.....why?

That is one of the best benefits!

If your logic is sloppy , if your facts are poorly founded , if there is some flaw in your opinions of any kind, how do you know?

In the adversary is your own strength.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #89 on: December 07, 2012, 02:55:57 AM »
So.. Back to Warren Buffet, if he is in frount of the parade , does not mean he is leading it?

Not necessarily. He may be a useful tool. Perhaps he settled on allowing Obama to tout the Buffett tax in his classwarfare rhetoric as a balm for refusing to donate hugely to his superpacs.

I am not sure he is a "hard core " anything , but he seems willing to be usefull to the left in its aim to increase the role of government in the lives we lead.

or he is at a stage in his life where he feels the need to give of his wealth cause he knows he can't take it with him. His charitable trusts far outweigh whatever increased amounts he would pay in taxation. And he certainly has the right to acknowledge that the capital gains reductions helped his accumilation of assets tremendously.

It's kind of like the disability discussion in the other thread. It makes sense to consider the needs of the disabled when renovating or building a new structure, especially at tax payer expense. But do we need to go that extra step and sign a UN Treaty because of it. Its a local issue that some want to make universal.