Author Topic: The value of suffering  (Read 22526 times)

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: The value of suffering
« Reply #45 on: September 28, 2016, 10:08:54 PM »
To us it seems denying pain meds seems cruel. But does giving the meds a good idea? Most likely it would be in short supply and how does one pick who needs them the most and how would it effect those denied? How about all being taught to accept the pain and when death comes it would be most welcome. I say this because i had elderly parents and it made me face these concepts about suffering and morality . The medication are not always effective and can frustation. I often hear they only stop the pain. It's a strange statement to make about pain meds till i found out these drugs tend to feel incomplete to a patient. So basically these pain meds may actually cause more problems and was deemed not be offered.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: September 29, 2016, 09:24:02 AM »
I disagree with that.
No pain is preferable to pain. If the medication "only stops the pain" well that is something, and an important something.

There is nothing noble or useful about "accepting pain".
If people want to accept pain, then they should be given that option.
Denying pain medication to the dying who are suffering is NOT causeing them to ACCEPT pain,only forcing them to ENDURE it.

Mother Teresa was some kind of nut.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: September 29, 2016, 11:43:47 AM »
But from my experience it's not no pain it's kind of a numbing thing and in a large scale super hard to consistantly control the pain. These meds works better in a individual bases . I had a relative who was allow any amount for his final time but even then they had to control since too much can hasten his death. One possibility is if given those folks will likely od and die quicker and at that scale it's very posdible . It would look like thier poisoning them

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: September 29, 2016, 12:22:29 PM »
Kimba I think we should legalize weed if it helps people suffering from medical ailments.
"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: September 29, 2016, 01:17:39 PM »
Im kinda split on that. It has a very unrealistic rep . The most minor positive finding equal to breathing air get blown out of proportion. Ex. Cures cancer

People won't acknowledge pot breathe. On the one hand its super easy to produce to the point i really believe it shouldn't be that profitable for people to sell. But i also think should have very similar regulations like alcohol. I just do not believe its that harmless. If people want it to handle pain I got no problem with it but not as a cure. people can get bad reactions to it but it won't get reported.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: September 29, 2016, 05:03:05 PM »
Pot clearly has some benefits as a medicine. The issue is whether the long-term contraindications outweigh the benefits. Pot affects people very differently.

I think is should be legalized as alcohol is legalized. I don't think it is nearly as bad as alcohol.

Suffering for suffering's sake is a defective part of both Christianity and Islam.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: September 29, 2016, 05:13:57 PM »
   I don't know much about Mother Theresa really.

But I have seen palliative care a few times.

Our doctors are scared to death of narcotic drugs and our laws.

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: September 29, 2016, 11:15:43 PM »
But I have seen palliative care a few times. Our doctors are scared to death of narcotic drugs and our laws.

Plane....Palliative care is expanding and improving.

2 big new palliative care hospitals are opening in Dallas.

One thanks to T. Boone Pickens.

Boone Pickens also built a huge new state of the art cancer center in Dallas.

The guy has impact!

Pickens Palliative and Hospice Center:
http://northdallasgazette.com/2013/09/10/presbyterian-building-first-ever-hospice-care-facility-in-dallas/

Pickens Cancer Center:
http://media.baylorhealth.com/channels/Baylor-Cancer-Hospital/photos/baylor-t-boone-pickens-cancer-hospital

I tried to talk my brother when he got sick into palliative care, but he decided he didnt want to hang around....but I think in many cases palliative care can be a good choice.

I know some people that are in the throes of horrible battles with Stage 4 cancer, and sometimes I think I would just not be up for the battle they are fighting....and I might choose palliative care with a bunch of Xanax, Southern Comfort, and other drugs and just ride out the storm that way instead of the chemo-radiation hellhole route.

"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: September 29, 2016, 11:44:11 PM »
I don't think that US doctors are scared of opiate drugs at all. The US has 5% of the world's population and consumed 75% of prescription drugs like Oxy Contin.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: September 30, 2016, 01:38:39 PM »
i got serious doubts its rhe doctors who are opiate happy and giving them like candy. I always had a hard getting them and when i do I always feel thier weak. I think thier are other factors in play for why so much of these drugs are in the streets.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: September 30, 2016, 03:00:43 PM »
It is one thing to give OxyContin to some otherwise healthy person with heel splinters or headaches. It is another to prescribe them for a terminal patient or someone on chemotherapy.

Big Pharma seems to have deliberately got millions addicted to opiates to make a buck.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: September 30, 2016, 03:26:40 PM »
Big Pharma can't prescribe.....ANYTHING
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: September 30, 2016, 08:48:04 PM »
Big Pharma pushes the doctors to prescribe the stuff. Every doctor has patients who complain about pain. OxyContin is indeed highly effective against pain. The trouble is that it is (a) addictive and (b) expensive. It is a high profit drug.  The Pharma detail men simply reassure the doctors by telling them that it is safe. There are really good reasons why they sell so much of this stuff in the USA, and it is all about targeting doctors and patients.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: September 30, 2016, 09:23:06 PM »
Big Pharma doesn't put a gun to any Dr's head, forcing them to over prescribe ANYTHING.  Your beef is with Big DOCTOR, bot Big Pharma
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: October 01, 2016, 10:13:37 AM »
It is illegal to buy Oxy Contin and other such opiates without a prescription, so the doctor is to blame if he writes a prescription. Big Pharma does all it can to push these pills, and is well aware of the abuse problem.