Author Topic: Time to Reinstate the Draft  (Read 4409 times)

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Time to Reinstate the Draft
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2011, 01:35:15 AM »
Yes
He ran with it. Not all draftees will be able to do that and thats where things don't go well. Folks have a mistaken impression there's magic in the military and the drafts is the best things for kids. But never notice alot of those kids don't comeback.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 01:40:53 AM by kimba1 »

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2011, 03:01:28 AM »
Do draftees die in combat at higher rates than enlistees?

BSB

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2011, 04:05:51 AM »
No, because the Marine Corps is almost entirely voluntary even when the draft is on. Although they do draft a few. And in the Army, when the draft is on, the airborne units remain almost exclusively RA ( Regular Army as opposed to drafted ).  Between them, the Marines and the paratrooper units, they take up a lot of casualties during war time.

BSB

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2011, 12:06:01 PM »
If that test was scored like a regular IQ test, 76 is just about moron.

ASVAB - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armed_Services_Vocational_Aptitude_Battery

The score for each section of the test is a percentile (0-99). Each MOS for different branches of the service require different formula to meet certain scores for entrance. For example, SEALS require GS+MC+EI≥165 or VE+MK+MC+CS≥220.

GSGeneral Science
MCMechanical Comprehension
EIElectronics Information
VEVerbal
MKMathematics Knowledge
CSCoding Speed
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

BSB

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2011, 12:41:39 PM »
That doesn't mean there isn't a generalized IQ test, Ami, with scoring going over 99. I saw some of my scores, and some were over 100. At the time the Special Forces required a general IQ of over 116 on their test. So, obviously some test didn't have a ceilling of 99.

BSB
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 12:51:39 PM by BSB »

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2011, 12:52:45 PM »
Folks have a mistaken impression there's magic in the military and the drafts is the best things for kids. But never notice alot of those kids don't comeback.
=================================================
For many years, military service has been regarded as a sort of rite of passage: one is not a man until they have served in the military.

I once worked with a superintendent that decided that all the single male members of the faculty should join the military and go to Vietnam, because serving in Korea apparently turned him from a simple North Dakota bumpkin into the macho guy he thought he was.

He apparently decided to not ask for draft deferments to me and three other single men on the faculty because he did not appreciate the mean things we said about Lyndon Johnson and Gen. Westmoreland.

We all left, but not one of us joined the military: I went to Mexico and got my MA, two others got married and the band teacher got a deferment in Anacostia at a higher salary.

I don't think we need a draft, and the odds are that the stupid drivers that BSB met up with would not be accepted anyway.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2011, 01:25:11 PM »
being available for the draft is having skin in the game, same as everyone paying taxes.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2011, 01:53:59 PM »
That doesn't mean there isn't a generalized IQ test, Ami, with scoring going over 99. I saw some of my scores, and some were over 100. At the time the Special Forces required a general IQ of over 116 on their test. So, obviously some test didn't have a ceilling of 99.

If it was scored the same as a normal IQ test, someone with a 76 would barely be capable of attending school - most at this level cannot ever reach 9th grade level, and in general cannot even be relied on for manual labor.

As I said, the requirements are *combinations* of the scores on the various sections of the test, applying a mathematical formula. Since they're combinations, totals of higher than 99 are possible (duh). Otherwise, it would be impossible to recruit SEALs, since they require a 165 on one standard and a 220 on another. It's just that no single section can score higher than 99. I'm guessing that the minimum quoted earlier of 76 was on just one section, or a combination of two sections.

And it's not an IQ test, though some sections are similar.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2011, 02:00:04 PM »
being available for the draft is having skin in the game, same as everyone paying taxes.

=================================================================
No, it is not. It is involuntary servitude based on one's gender and age. One rarely dies from paying taxes, while one can easily get killed in the military.

You cannot get blood from a stone, and you cannot tax people with no income and/or no money.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2011, 02:03:06 PM »
I have no problems including women in the draft pool. And i doubt your involuntary servitude argument holds constitutional water.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2011, 02:08:00 PM »
At the time the Special Forces required a general IQ of over 116 on their test.

Obviously you didn't read the linked article.

Currently, Army Special Forces requires GT≥107 and CO≥98. GT is VE (Verbal) + AR (Arithmetic Reasoning). AR is the direct result of one section and VE is PC (Paragraph Comprehension) + WK (Word Knowledge). So, basically you need to score some total on those three sections equal to or greater than 107. Since these tests are all the portions testing math and word knowledge, most people would consider it an "intelligence test". CO is AR (Arithmetic Reasoning) + CS (Coding Speed) + AS (Automotive and Shop Information) + MC (Mechanical Comprehension).

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2011, 02:10:02 PM »
You cannot get blood from a stone, and you cannot tax people with no income and/or no money.

In this country there are people with income that don't pay taxes.

BSB

« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2011, 03:37:29 PM »
Ami, what is your point? I mean, so what? The test Bear was talking about, and I commented on, was being used decades ago. 

BSB

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2011, 03:48:46 PM »
Ami, what is your point? I mean, so what? The test Bear was talking about, and I commented on, was being used decades ago.

ASVAB was instituted in 1968. It's still in use.

I was explaining for those who didn't know. Yes, I took it; no, I never enrolled, though both the Army and Air Force chased me for about 8 years because of my scores.

BSB

« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2011, 04:00:20 PM »
Whatever....