Author Topic: We need more Governors like Arizona Governor Jan Brewer!  (Read 16173 times)

bsb

Re: We need more Governors like Arizona Governor Jan Brewer!
« Reply #45 on: December 26, 2010, 12:49:43 PM »
You'd have to have been kicked in the head by a horse to think you need religion in order to know right from wrong.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #46 on: December 26, 2010, 01:15:35 PM »
Being kicked by a donkey or mule or any equine or even bovine could produce the same result.

There are, I believe 613 mizvot, or commandments to perform good acts or to refrain from performing bad ones in the Hebrew Torah
There are 613 pieces of fringe on the prayer shawl worn by the ultra-orthodox. There are also said to be related to the number of bones in the human body.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/613_Mitzvot

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: December 26, 2010, 10:16:02 PM »
actually the real question about the bible is should it be totally be oral or written. which is better to manipulate. often people keep saying" the bible says" . but if thier was no bible, could those people use qoutes from memory to thier advantage to same way as using the bible?

Jesus several times said "it is written" the standard set by God isn't changing but our understanding of it can always be improved. You need an origional sorce.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: December 26, 2010, 10:18:07 PM »
You'd have to have been kicked in the head by a horse to think you need religion in order to know right from wrong.

It isn't the religion, it is the God.
There are times that I don't know the diffrence , God doesn't have that problem.

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: December 26, 2010, 11:43:06 PM »

There are times that I don't know the diffrence , God doesn't have that problem.

God didn't create the religion, man did.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: December 27, 2010, 12:06:59 AM »

God didn't create the religion, man did.
Yes

It is totally possible to practice and participate in a lot of religion without ary thought given to God.

The important part is haveing a relationship with God yourself, if religion helps good, if not, try it solo, anything is better than avoiding God religion or not.

bsb

« Reply #51 on: December 27, 2010, 01:41:00 AM »
"It isn't the religion, it is the God."

By religion I meant a belief in god. A belief in god, or walking around with the notion that you have a relationship with a god, doesn't give you an edge when it comes to knowing right from wrong. It's a ridiculous idea that's so arrogant it's almost sociopathic.

bsb

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: December 27, 2010, 01:43:41 AM »
"It isn't the religion, it is the God."

By religion I meant a belief in god. A belief in god, or walking around with the notion that you have a relationship with a god, doesn't give you an edge when it comes to knowing right from wrong. It's a ridiculous idea that's so arrogant it's almost sociopathic.

bsb

Ok that is bad.

But how would you even know it is?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: December 27, 2010, 01:53:19 AM »
Believing in God means a variety of things. To most people it tends to mean just one thing: that one accepts Christianity and a myriad of Christian beliefs and traditions.

It can be a belief that God as a creator, made the world. It is not necessary that a creator God be eternal. After all, men often create things that live long after them.

There are all those attributes of God: omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent (meaning that whatever God dictates is just and true simply because God has defined it as such. A God would have to be very wise to create a universe, but that would not mean that he would necessarily know everything. Seeing into the future goes beyond omniscience, in my mind.

The usual Christian reaction to a statement that I do not consider the Bible to be the divinely inspired word of God tends to cause people to say "well, then you don't believe in anything". Which is quite inaccurate. One can believe in God and not be a Christian, one can believe in God and not believe in any afterlife, one can believe in God and believe in reincarnation, after all.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: December 27, 2010, 02:03:57 AM »
I talked here about how logical dietary laws are in religion. I meant it as a compliment and some people here did not like that idea . Folk prefered a divinity aspect than a proctical health point of veiw.

What i`m getting at is i very much doubt talking about right & wrong  in secular & religious terms will end in agreement to both parties involve.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: December 27, 2010, 02:09:10 AM »
Some Jewish dietary laws make hygienic sense, others do not.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: December 27, 2010, 02:18:43 AM »
well
I didn`t say it`s perfect, but not eating pork makes sense in those times. It`s the same reason we`re taught only to eat porkchops well done to avoid parasites. despite modern farming should make them fairly safe to eat medium

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: December 27, 2010, 05:52:10 AM »
There are all those attributes of God: omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent (meaning that whatever God dictates is just and true simply because God has defined it as such. A God would have to be very wise to create a universe, but that would not mean that he would necessarily know everything. Seeing into the future goes beyond omniscience, in my mind.

No Christian sect I know of beleives in "omnibenevolence", I never heard this term before Brassmask brought it up.

bsb

« Reply #58 on: December 27, 2010, 06:18:59 AM »
"But how would you even know it is?"

Now, could you decode that for me? I haven't received the latest version of Plane's Almanac with the codes in the back. I will say this though. As a general rule, the only way to know is by not knowing. So I try to make sure I go through life not knowing a thing and I've been quite successful at it. You could say I'm a natural.   

bsb

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: December 27, 2010, 06:27:08 AM »
"But how would you even know it is?"

Now, could you decode that for me? I haven't received the latest version of Plane's Almanac with the codes in the back. I will say this though. As a general rule, the only way to know is by not knowing. So I try to make sure I go through life not knowing a thing and I've been quite successful at it. You could say I'm a natural.   

bsb

It is a question Mr B.

Are you answering by saying that you don't know good from bad?