Author Topic: 'Playing Jesus wrecked my career': Passion of the Christ actor  (Read 1642 times)

Religious Dick

• Drunk, drunk, drunk in the gardens and the graves
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
'Playing Jesus wrecked my career': Passion of the Christ actor said Hollywood has shunned him

By Paul Thompson
Last updated at 1:31 PM on 2nd May 2011

Actor Jim Caviezel has claimed his Hollywood career was wrecked by playing Jesus.

He said he was ?rejected in my own industry? after taking on the lead role in Mel Gibson's controversial movie ?The Passion of the Christ?.

Since playing the son of God in the 2004 film he said offers had dried up and he is shunned by many within the industry.

Although a box office hit taking more than $400million worldwide it was condemned as being anti-Semitic.

Gibson, the film's director, was later accused of making anti-Jewish remarks after being arrested for drink driving.

Caviezel said he was warned against taking the part by Gibson who warned him he would never work in Hollywood again.

'He said, "You'll never work in this town again." I told him, "We all have to embrace our crosses".' Caviezel told an audience of churchgoers in Orlando, Florida.

Since Passion of the Christ, the 42-year-old has only appeared in a handful of films.

Prior to playing Jesus he was considered one of Hollywood rising stars and appeared in The Count of Monte Cristo? and ?ngel Eyes with Jennifer Lopez.

One of his biggest hits was in 2000 with time-travel thriller Frequency opposite Dennis Quaid.

Caviezel, a devout Roman Catholic, said he knew playing Jesus would be risky.

'Jesus is as controversial now as he has ever been,? Caviezel said. ?Not much has changed in 2,000 years.?

He said he wasn't worried about the stalling of his career.

During his 20 minute talk, Caviezel spoke of the troubles that have dogged Gibson.

?Mel Gibson, he's a horrible sinner, isn't he?? Caviezel said. ?Mel Gibson doesn't need your judgment, he needs your prayers.?

Caviezel said that his faith is his guide, both personally and professionally.

He said it was no coincidence that ?in my 33rd year, I was called to play Jesus,? and joked about his initials also being the same as Jesus Christ.

The actor spoke about the film and its negative effect on his career while at a megachurch in Orlando to promote a new audio book of the Bible.

Caviezel plays Jesus and other Hollywood stars, including Richard Dreyfuss, appear on the CD.

Pointing to a DVD of his famous film, Caviezel said ?This is The Passion of the Christ.?

Pointing to the CD boxed set of the new audio book of the Bible, Words of Promise,  he said: ?This is The Passion on Steroids.?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1382515/Passion-Christ-actor-Jim-Caviezel-said-Hollywood-shunned-him.html#
I speak of civil, social man under law, and no other.
-Sir Edmund Burke

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: 'Playing Jesus wrecked my career': Passion of the Christ actor
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 11:28:36 AM »
Oh the irony of it all

Liberals run Hollywood.

Liberals are racists, haters, hypocrites, and very judgmental -- all the things they claim to dislike most of all and accuse Republicans of.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 12:09:16 PM »
This guy is a good actor, but face it: "The Passion of The Christ" is ghastly bloody unwatchable. I suppose it wasn't so bad when they wiped off the blood and goo and he got to rest up in his trailer when they were making it.

Mel Gibson is a cinematic genius (Braveheart and Apocalypto), but this film was simply awful. It may have an been accurate
depiction of the crucifixion, but not even the people who were there at the time had to see it in close-ups.

Leonard Nimoy, Nichelle Nichols, James Dohan and DeForest Kelly didn't get a lot of work after Star Trek was over, either. They were typecast, despite their versatility.
James Shatner, probably the worst actor in the series, was the only one to get a lot of great roles after this. And on TV. People who finance films are not the sharpest tacks in the box and many of them have very little imagination.

Acting pays very, very well, but it has major disadvantages: you get typecast no matter what you do.

I am sorry for this guy. He did as fine a job as any film Jesus, ever. Perhaps too good a job for his own good. But a role speaking an unintelligible language which is unwatchable seems to have been just too much.

I really hope his luck improves.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 02:27:56 PM by Xavier_Onassis »
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 01:34:40 PM »
uhm

the dude got hit by lightning. maybe people just don`t want to be near him.

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 02:27:24 PM »
James Shatner, prpobably the worst actor in the series, was the only one to get a lot of great roles after this.

WILLIAM SHATNER is Jewish too. Not that it matters to me but some people claim that Hollywood is run by Jews.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2011, 02:30:51 PM »
Leonard Nimoy is Jewish.

Shatner is Canadian as well. That must be the difference.

On the other hand, Mel Gibson thinks that Jews caused all the world's wars, or at least he does when he is drunk. That is why The Passion of the Christ was particularly disliked, in addition to being, as I said, damn near unwatchable.

Even Shoah was more watchable.

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2011, 02:33:25 PM »
That is why The Passion of the Christ was particularly disliked, in addition to being, as I said, damn near unwatchable.

but for the fact he said those drunk remarks several months to a year after the movie came out. so your point doesn't really have a point to it.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2011, 02:39:36 PM »
The topic is that Caviezel cannot get a decent role because of his participation in the Jesus movie, which was made by Gibson, who has been run in on drunken driving charges at least twice and made seriously anti-semetic remarks.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2011, 03:04:49 PM »
jewish stereotypes are strange. smart,strong family ties, good at money management. exactly wheres the insult?

the tag of lack of ethics is not even a stereotypes since all races are accused of that so that should be null and void

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2011, 05:16:15 PM »
The usual stereotype is that Jews are clannish, greedy, and manipulate money everywhere to their own advantage. They dislike physical labor, cheat people as moneylenders, dress funny, kidnap and eat Christian babies and have big noses, and are plotting to take over the world.

Some of these are things Filipinos and Indonesians say about the overseas Chinese. Except the big noses. I have never heard the Chinese accused of large noses.

Mel Griffin's father belongs to a traditional Catholic movement that accuses the Jews of killing Jesus, of course.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2011, 06:13:31 PM »
big noses-no
flat-yes