Author Topic: violent outrage over destruction of inanimate objects...silence on dead bodies!  (Read 4672 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
     I think the apology was worth a try.

Since it has no discernable effect, I don't think it should be repeated.

Rather the pretention to rightiousness by people who are loth to forgive,eager to kill, should be laughed to scorn.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Dear B....for a military "trying to get ourselves out of there", demonstrates some piss poor leadership, since we have plenty of transport planes & ships, if that's the goal.  Now, if there's a "mission" we're still endeavoring to achieve, that's different, and justifies the need to keep troops on the ground and assets in the area

That said, knowing what little I know of Muslim/Arabic culture, and Miss Henny can correct me if its wrong, an "apology" is seen as weakness, especially in the eyes of Islamic radicals.  Actually emboldens them.  IF that's all there is.  My comment stand justified in that an apology is all well and good to placate the politically crowd, but without an associated step up in military action, merely renders our troops that much more at risk......which has come to fruition now 

The "apology" alone did the polar opposite of diffusing anything.
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

BSB

"....we have plenty of transport planes & ships, if that's the goal."

Good lord, you can't be that ignorant this far into it can you?

Try following along for Christ's sake, there are US soldiers getting killed over there.

BSB

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
"....we have plenty of transport planes & ships, if that's the goal."

Good lord, you can't be that ignorant this far into it can you?

Hey, you're the one on record claiming "We are trying to get our paratrooper, leg infantry, and Marine fighting units out of there"

Are you saying YOU'RE that ignorant??  Or is it a reading for comprehension issue?

Try following along for Christ's sake, there are US soldiers getting killed over there.

BSB

I have been.  Is Obama??  His "apology" sure has put more of our soldiers at risk for getting killed.  Who did you vote for again?

Sirs
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
The "apology" alone did the polar opposite of diffusing anything.
===============================================
In the warped mind of sirs, all things are possible.

There is no proof of this.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Hmm.....let's see.....apology --> increased rioting --> Death of America Soldiers

Yea, pure coincidence

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Perhaps without the apology there would have been more rioting and more dead soldiers.
In any case, it was stupid and wrong to burn Korans publicly, and an apology was clearly in order because they made an error.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Unlikely, since the riots didn't swell until AFTER the apology, not to mention the death of American Soldiers.  It was stupid & wrong for prisoners to have been desecrating their own Korans, provided for by our tax dollars

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
   Whose Koran is it?

Ours because we bought it?

Theirs because  they love it?
     Gods because he composed it?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
That is silly and beside the point. These particular Muslims are simply fanatics.  Reasoning about them writing in Korans is a waste of time: reason is not the issue. The NATO people had a right to confiscate the Korans and other writings, but destroying them in such a way as the Muslims knew that they were burning them was stupid, and merits an apology.

They could have put them in a bag and destroyed them elsewhere, dropped them into the sea, whatever.

BSB

When I was a kid we had a hunting camp in Maine. No power, no phone, an outhouse, no running water except in the kitchen via a hand pump, most of the year you couldn't get in by car. We ran out of toilet paper once in the outhouse and used pages from an old bible. It was a tall bible, big pages, so it worked well. Yankee ingenuity.

BSB

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
WHAT???  NO RIOTING BY THE OTHER KIDS, PARENTS AND FACULTY??        :o

BSB

Ahh, what other kids, parents, faculty?

BSB

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Must have been confused with the phrase "hunting camp".  When one thinks of camp, one thinks of other kids & staff at that camp

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
I think a "hunting camp" in this case is a family-owned lodge in the woods, not a summer retreat for schoolchildren on vacation.

Bibles are  seen in the same way in the US as Korans are in the Muslim world.

An Iranian colleague got me to take him and his family to the airport once when they went to Iran for several weeks. When they left the house they had me hold a Koran up over their heads and they walked under it. This is a tradition said to make for a lucky trip.

They made it over and back with no real difficulty. Abbas' wife had a degree in nuclear physics. She left Iran because she was sick of having to wear the headscarf and the other restrictive customs against women. She teaches and does research now at Florida International University.

The exchange rate was so favorable a couple of years ago that  he had a couple of suits tailor-made for $45 each. The economy in Iran is terrible. Neither Amedinejahd nor Khomenei seems to be any good at actually running a country, even when oil prices are high.