Author Topic: I think my sis just figured the problem with kids today  (Read 4774 times)

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
I think my sis just figured the problem with kids today
« on: July 01, 2012, 12:53:18 PM »
simon says isn`t around anymore. the only game I know that teaches careful listening and following instructions.

MissusDe

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: I think my sis just figured the problem with kids today
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 01:06:29 AM »
I'm fairly certain Simon Says is among those childhood games that are banned these days, since it doesn't adhere to the 'everybody's a winner!' school of thought.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 02:19:38 PM »
Perish the thought     ;)
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 03:04:25 PM »
I have never heard of anyone, anywhere, banning "Simon Says" for any reason.

When I was in Elementary School, we played Red Rover and Steal the Bacon and had a wonderful time at two recesses and after lunch. In October, the local college sent down several PE Majors and we all were forced to play THEIR games, which were baseball until it got too cold, then basketball. It was always the same crap. Some jock would pick the two tallest kids and make them captains and let them choose the team, one by one.

Baseball is an intensely b o r i n g game most of the time. The team that is up to bat waits to be able to hit the ball. The other team waits for them to hit it. We got LOTS of exercise playing our coed kiddy games. Everyone was always running around. We mostly sat around waiting for something to happen playing baseball. Of course, no one can play nine innings in a 20 minute recess period.Sometimes we continued the morning game throughout the day, other times we started again, depending on what the jocks told us.

Basketball was a pain because half the kids had to take their shirts off and be "skins". The thought of asking kids to simply bring shirts of specific colors was apparently too difficult for the jocks to figure out. The gym was really cold in the winter, and the shirts usually won because the skins were shivering too much. There were two classes of grades 3 through 6, and when we played basketball, only ten of maybe twenty boys got a chance to play. Everyone else got to sit on the floor and shiver.You could see your breath in that gym. If anyone complained, they got to do laps around the gym, which often interfered with the play, since we only got to use half the gym.The girls got the other half.

In April, the jocks left and we got to play kiddie games again.

We played Simon Says at some Church programs and camps. Of course, the goal was to try to make others look foolish when they did something that was not preceded by "Simon says". It was not humiliating to me, I always thought it was good fun. I don't recall ever playing "Simon says" without being led by an adult. Kids in my classes and groups preferred steal the Bacon and Red Rover.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2012, 04:46:13 PM »
The gym was really cold in the winter

So you are a yankee?
"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2012, 07:15:53 PM »
I grew up in NW Missouri. I have never considered my self to be a Yankee or a Rebel.
The Civil War was a disaster for Western Missouri, with irregulars like the Jayhawkers and the Redlegs carrying out stupid feuds for the purpose of revenge and looting.

It freezes every winter for at least two months. The gym in the Elementary school was poorly heated.

If we had been allowed to play games of our own invention, we would have stayed warmer and gotten loads more exercise. That was my point.

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2012, 08:00:12 PM »
I grew up in NW Missouri.

Ummm odd.....but ok.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2012, 08:43:45 PM »
If you wish to know what I would have done with regard to the Civil War had I been alive at the time, I would have followed the most prominent Missourian, Samuel Langhorn Clemens and lit out for the territories. Idaho City, perhaps. I really doubt that my participation would have made one whit of difference to the nation, but it could have made a big difference to me. I had two great great grandfathers that served in the War, both as doctors, one for the North and another for the South. Both refused to talk about it when my father was a lad (He was born in 1902).

I see nothing odd in being from NW Missouri.

A great novel about the Civil War  in my pat of the country is Woe to Live On, by Daniel Woodrell. It was made into a pretty good film by Ang Lee, the closest that the Taiwanese director has ever got to making a Western. The film is titled "Ride with the Devil" and is also pretty good. It is called "revisionist" I suppose because there are no heroes. I don't think there were any Civil War heroes in NW MO, either.

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2012, 11:29:52 PM »
I had two great great grandfathers that served in the War, both as doctors, one for the North and another for the South. Both refused to talk about it when my father was a lad (He was born in 1902)

Good God I bet both your Grandfathers saw some horrible stuff.
My Father was born in 1908...glad he decided to have a rather late in life baby.
All of my father's siblings died at birth or shortly there-after.
For my father my grandmother changed "doctors" & it was thought maybe that's part of why he survived
In 1908 quite a few "doctors" in many parts never attended formal medical school.

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2012, 11:37:07 PM »
I see nothing odd in being from NW Missouri.

Agreed.....what is slightly odd is you don't come off with the midwestern warmth.
I would sware you're from Boston or Philly.
Just an observation..........

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2012, 12:54:14 AM »
I havent seen marbles played in a while either.

I tried an animatede obsticle course on Wii a little while ago, that seems to be the way that games are headed.

[][][][][][][][][][]
 I don't think the Civil War would have ended if the Confederacy had won. there was a lot of frountier that would have been contested the way that "bloody" Kansas and Missouri had been contested. That could have continued for a very long time.

There are places in the world like that.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2012, 02:30:34 AM »
If the Confederacy had won, they would have had to sign a treaty, and that treaty would have clearly defined the boundaries. There could have been some wars after that, I suppose. I can't see slavery lasting much beyond 1900.

I saw some kids playing marbles in a park in Buenos Aires several years ago. There are places in Miami where kids play marbles, but I have not been there.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2012, 12:39:15 PM »
   According to the National Geographic there are more slaves in the world now than there were in 1840.

kimba1

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2012, 11:34:51 AM »
but what counts as a slave?

do people who work illegally to payoff debts count? ex prostitutes

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2012, 12:09:23 PM »
    Yes they were counting that sort of thing , also thousands of women kidnapped or purchased in east Europe and South Asia .

They wern't counting the residents of repressive countries, but I would have.