Author Topic: CIA chief Petraeus resigns, reportedly over affair  (Read 18039 times)

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: CIA chief Petraeus resigns, reportedly over affair
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2012, 09:57:23 PM »
Well, I figure you guys are so obsessed with conspiracy theories,

Oh "we're obsessed" not the guy that did everything he could to imply
that President Bush/Bushco lied us into war via some conspiracy of
I suppose neo-cons....then backtracked on his bullshit implications
via sematics and refused like a big baby to answer SIRS "yes or no"
question.

By the way hnumpah...who did you vote for this week Obama or Romney?
You're real good about hammering others but it seems to me you rarely take a solid position yourself.
You're not getting away with the BS any longer.
So hnumpah lets start now.
Do you hnumpah think it's a total coincidence that Petraeus resignation comes a few days AFTER the election?

"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

hnumpah

• You have another think coming. Use it.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2012, 10:44:46 PM »
By the way hnumpah...who did you vote for this week Obama or Romney?

Not that it's any of your business - and it isn't - but if you look back, I believe I have already made it clear I did not intend to vote for either one. After all, we had 12 different presidential/vice presidential options we could vote for in Florida, plus an option for a write in.

You're real good about hammering others but it seems to me you rarely take a solid position yourself.

Then you don't pay very close attention, do you?

You're not getting away with the BS any longer.
So hnumpah lets start now.
Do you hnumpah think it's a total coincidence that Petraeus resignation comes a few days AFTER the election?

Now, that wasn't nice. And I have tried to be nice. You can take your BS and stuff it.
"I love WikiLeaks." - Donald Trump, October 2016

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2012, 11:12:47 PM »
Not that it's any of your business - and it isn't - but if you look back,
I believe I have already made it clear I did not intend to vote for either one.

"I did not intend to"...evasive crap again....refuses to answer the question directly
dude you are such a judgemental fraud.
you pretend to "hammer" both parties, but then wont say who you vote for
cant stick your neck out....gotta have some cover to hide behind
criticize Romney, Bush....but wont say who you vote for

typical want it both ways take no stand:
"I'm not saying he did threaten it; I'm saying some may perceive it that way"

You can take your BS and stuff it.

again refuses to answer the direct question about Petraeus
gotta have that cover to hide behind
"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2012, 01:50:59 AM »

"Timing Is Just Too Perfect"

LT. COL. RALPH PETERS: The timing is just too perfect for the Obama administration. Just as the administration claimed it was purely coincidence that our Benghazi consulate was attacked on the anniversary of September 11th. Now it’s purely coincidence that this affair -- extra-marital affair -- surfaces right after the election, not before, but right after, but before the intelligence chiefs go to Capitol Hill to get grilled. As an old intelligence analyst, Neil, the way I read this -- I could be totally wrong, this is my interpretation -- is that the administration was unhappy with Petraeus not playing ball 100% on their party-line story. I think it's getting cold feet about testifying under oath on their party-line story. And I suspect that these tough Chicago guys knew about this affair for a while, held it in their back pocket until they needed to play the card.

I don't like conspiracy theories, I may be totally wrong, but the timing of this, again, right after the election and right before Petraeus is supposed to get grilled on Capitol Hill, it really smells.
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2012, 02:07:56 AM »
Petraeus was unlikely to make up a nonexistent affair, and then use it as an excuse to resign. If he DID have an affair, then that would be grounds for him to be some sort of security risk.

I assume that he had an affair with a WOMAN lover. Mrs. Petraeus could perhaps use the rhyme Petraeus/ betray us accurately, I suppose.

It seems to me that this was not a made up affair.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2012, 02:38:01 AM »
Petraeus was unlikely to make up a nonexistent affair, and then use it as an excuse to resign.

I doubt you'll find anyone who's claiming otherwise     ::)

"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2012, 02:48:38 AM »
Then what is "Timing just too perfect" supposed to mean?

hnumpah

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2012, 02:51:15 AM »
But they have to have a conspiracy...ROFL

Heaven forbid anything should just happen, it all has to be orchestrated somehow from behind the scenes...

And still they miss the point that Petraeus can still be subpeonaed, regardless of whether he is still head of the CIA or flipping burgers at Wendy's. It makes no sense to force him to admit an affair and resign, and take the chance he might strike back. Now, if he turns up dead in the next few days under mysterious circumstances...

As I understand it, and it makes sense to me, the FBI was doing a background check on his biographer, a female, and apparently discovered some emails that got them to looking into a possible affair between them. Those are just bits and pieces I have seen so far, but I am sure more will come out. Anyone who has ever held a position that requires a security clearance, especially a high security clearance, knows that any whiff of somethng like that going on is grounds to have your clearance revoked. It's a security risk, because it makes you vulnerable to blackmail. Apparently the FBI brought it up to Petraeus, or he found out they were investigating it, and decided the best thing to do was bring it out in the open himself and resign.

The timing may look suspicious, but on the surface, again, if they want him personally to testify, all they have to do is subpoena him personally.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2012, 02:54:07 AM »
I fail to see any conspiracy here.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2012, 02:55:03 AM »
Then what is "Timing just too perfect" supposed to mean?

It means the timing in the outing if this affair is just too perfect....per LT. COL. RALPH PETERS...As an old intelligence analyst, Neil, the way I read this -- I could be totally wrong, this is my interpretation -- is that the administration was unhappy with Petraeus not playing ball 100% on their party-line story. I think it's getting cold feet about testifying under oath on their party-line story. And I suspect that these tough Chicago guys knew about this affair for a while, held it in their back pocket until they needed to play the card

hnumpah

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2012, 02:58:21 AM »
...As an old intelligence analyst, Neil, the way I read this -- I could be totally wrong, this is my interpretation -- is that the administration was unhappy with Petraeus not playing ball 100% on their party-line story. I think it's getting cold feet about testifying under oath on their party-line story. And I suspect that these tough Chicago guys knew about this affair for a while, held it in their back pocket until they needed to play the card...

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2012, 02:59:32 AM »
Bah! That is just stupid.

In any event,the affair would become public eventually, and Petraeus would have it resign.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2012, 03:14:13 AM »
But they have to have a conspiracy...ROFL

You mean the part that clearly where Lt Peters clearly states I don't like conspiracy theories, I may be totally wrong, but the timing of this, again, right after the election and right before Petraeus is supposed to get grilled on Capitol Hill, it really smells[/b]

Is that the part you're laughing at?

And still they miss the point that Petraeus can still be subpeonaed, regardless of whether he is still head of the CIA or flipping burgers at Wendy's.

Never missed it the 1st time.  Why do you keep implying it has??  Of course any testimomy that may be damaging to the WH can now be spun as somewhat uncredible given the latest turn of extramarital events

The timing may look suspicious......

THANK YOU......that was the point

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2012, 03:18:37 AM »
...As an old intelligence analyst, Neil, the way I read this -- I could be totally wrong, this is my interpretation -- is that the administration was unhappy with Petraeus not playing ball 100% on their party-line story. I think it's getting cold feet about testifying under oath on their party-line story. And I suspect that these tough Chicago guys knew about this affair for a while, held it in their back pocket until they needed to play the card...

Notice how he's clearly making an assumption based on the intel he's privy to, and his knowledge as an analyst.  In no way is he claiming it as the gospel truth, so we can safely also claim that he could be totally right

hnumpah

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2012, 03:21:43 AM »
Petraeus resigns over affair, as criticism grows of CIA response in Libya

Officials will want to know if there was any link between David Petraeus’s extramarital activities and what has been increasingly criticized as the CIA’s weak performance during the Benghazi attack.
By Howard LaFranchi, Anna Mulrine | Christian Science Monitor

CIA Director David Petraeus abruptly resigned Friday, citing an extramarital affair and the need to sort out the “personal and professional issues” involved.

The former commander of forces in Iraq and Afghanistan had built a stellar and nearly unassailable reputation – but mounting criticism of the Central Intelligence Agency’s response to the Benghazi, Libya, terrorist attack in September was beginning to tarnish that reputation.

Word of Mr. Petraeus’s resignation sent ripples of stunned surprise through both the intelligence and military communities, raising questions that revolved around how long the affair had been going on and how an officer known for his rigorous self-discipline – and attention to his reputation within the media — could have made such a lapse in judgment.

In a letter of resignation accepted by the White House, Petraeus said he had been married 37 years but had exercised “very poor judgment” in choosing to enter into an extramarital affair.

Petraeus, who was widely celebrated as a military commander and even occasionally mentioned as a potential presidential candidate, was sworn in as head of the CIA in September 2011 – and had kept a low profile since. Now speculation is sure to proliferate over whether that low profile resulted from Petraeus focusing on America’s intelligence gathering or on personal matters.

In particular, members of Congress and other officials demanding answers about the Benghazi attack on the US consulate that resulted in the deaths of four Americans – including the US ambassador to Libya, Christopher Stephens, and two CIA agents – will want to know if there was any link between Petraeus’s extramarital activities and what has been increasingly criticized as the CIA’s weak performance on the night of the Benghazi attack.

More broadly, the reason for Petraeus’s departure will raise questions about any compromising of US covert operations and intelligence. The potential for blackmail of intelligence officers is always a concern about the spy corps, but the involvement of the nation’s top spy in an extramarital affair takes the concern to a new level.

The Federal Bureau of Investigation has been probing Petraeus and the potential security risks posed by his affair, CNN reported late Friday afternoon.

In the weeks since the Benghazi attack, officials have leaked information, including how Petraeus kept information on the CIA’s role in Benghazi so private that even Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton was left to call Petraeus as the attack unfolded to try to get intelligence information from him.

Last week, CIA officials revealed that in fact, the intelligence agency’s operations in Benghazi dwarfed diplomatic operations at the consulate and that the CIA maintained what was described as an “annex,” about a mile from the diplomatic mission.

State Department officials have said there was an informal understanding that the annex and its agents would come to the assistance of the consulate (which had private contractors providing security) if a need arose. CIA officials insist their agents responded to the consulate’s distress calls within a half-hour.

In a statement released Friday afternoon, President Obama praised Petraeus for his “extraordinary service” to the country, adding, “By any measure, through his lifetime of service, David Petraeus has made our country safer and stronger.”

In a statement, Sen. John McCain (R) of Arizona highlighted Petraeus’s role in Iraq, saying that his “inspirational leadership and his genius were directly responsible – after years of failure – for the success of the surge in Iraq.”

But Petraeus’s success in Iraq and Afghanistan was a result to a certain extent of his focus on a counterinsurgency strategy that involved large numbers of troops fighting the enemy by incorporating nation-building into the battle. When Mr. Obama named Petraeus to head the CIA, it was widely interpreted as the president’s signal that he intended to wind down America’s wars and shift from a counterinsurgency strategy to counterterrorism.

Obama did not cite Petraeus’s reason for resigning but did say, “Going forward, my thoughts and prayers are with Dave and Holly Petraeus, who has done so much to help military families through her own work. I wish them the very best at this difficult time.”

Mrs. Petraeus is the assistant director of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, where she supports veterans and troops facing difficulties as a result of the financial crisis.

Obama initially tried to convince Petraeus not to resign, according to some souces. “I am told that President Obama tried to talk Petraeus out of resigning, but Petraeus took the samurai route and insisted that he had done a dishonorable thing and now had to try to balance it by doing the honorable thing and stepping down as CIA director,” Tom Ricks reports in his blog “The Best Defense.”

Such a move is in keeping with the military culture in which Petraeus rose to the rank of four-star general.

Under the Uniform Code of Military Justice, adultery is a punishable offense for soldiers if the conduct is shown to be detrimental “to good order and discipline in the armed forces or was of a nature to bring discredit upon the armed forces.”

Obama said that Michael Morell, deputy director of the CIA, would take over as acting director. Mr. Morell served briefly as acting director after Leon Panetta left the agency last year to become Defense secretary.

Petraeus was set to testify Thursday at a closed-door session of the Senate Intelligence Committee on the Benghazi attack, but it was unclear if his resignation would alter that schedule.

Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D) of California, the Intelligence Committee chair, told NBC News that Petraeus’s personal mistake should not have led to his resignation.

“I would have stood up for him,” she said. “I wanted him to continue. He was good, he loved the work, and he had a command of intelligence issues second to none.”

Obama, after winning reelection Tuesday, was already expected to make some changes in his national security team for a second term, but early speculation had been that Petraeus would stay on at the CIA. Now the job of spy chief will be added to the new-team mix.

http://news.yahoo.com/petraeus-resigns-over-affair-criticism-grows-cia-response-230053238.html