Author Topic: CIA chief Petraeus resigns, reportedly over affair  (Read 18042 times)

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: CIA chief Petraeus resigns, reportedly over affair
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2012, 03:24:16 AM »
According to the UK papers, the Petraeus Affair was known about by the FBI for quite awhile.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2012, 03:25:34 AM »

hnumpah

• You have another think coming. Use it.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2012, 03:28:34 AM »
how convenient....just a few days after the election

and only a few days before he had to testify about BenghaziGate

This means Petraeus will not testify next week regarding Benghazi.

Conspiracy theory: Obama and/or his thugs instructed Petraeus to lie, or they'd expose the affair.

Petraeus exposes his own affair when he resigns, and by getting out of having to testify at all, he kills two birds with one stone.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Peace/2012/11/09/CIA-Director-Petraeus-Resigns

Impressive
"I love WikiLeaks." - Donald Trump, October 2016

hnumpah

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2012, 03:38:15 AM »
The FBI may have known and not confronted Petraeus with it until they were sure. I haven't seen much in the way of details yet.

From the last article I posted:

"...Petraeus, who was widely celebrated as a military commander and even occasionally mentioned as a potential presidential candidate, was sworn in as head of the CIA in September 2011 – and had kept a low profile since. Now speculation is sure to proliferate over whether that low profile resulted from Petraeus focusing on America’s intelligence gathering or on personal matters.

In particular, members of Congress and other officials demanding answers about the Benghazi attack on the US consulate that resulted in the deaths of four Americans – including the US ambassador to Libya, Christopher Stephens, and two CIA agents – will want to know if there was any link between Petraeus’s extramarital activities and what has been increasingly criticized as the CIA’s weak performance on the night of the Benghazi attack..."

"...Under the Uniform Code of Military Justice, adultery is a punishable offense for soldiers if the conduct is shown to be detrimental “to good order and discipline in the armed forces or was of a nature to bring discredit upon the armed forces.”

I believe, if I remember correctly, Petraeus was supposedly at a screening of 'Argo' the night of the attack in Benghazi. One wonders now if he was otherwise distracted, to the detriment of the response. It's all speculation right now, but it will be interesting to see how it plays out.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2012, 03:48:57 AM »
how convenient....just a few days after the election

and only a few days before he had to testify about BenghaziGate

This means Petraeus will not testify next week regarding Benghazi.

Conspiracy theory: Obama and/or his thugs instructed Petraeus to lie, or they'd expose the affair.

Petraeus exposes his own affair when he resigns, and by getting out of having to testify at all, he kills two birds with one stone.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Peace/2012/11/09/CIA-Director-Petraeus-Resigns

Impressive

Yea, and?
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2012, 03:50:58 AM »
According to the UK papers, the Petraeus Affair was known about by the FBI for quite awhile.

Per Lt Peters analysis.....And I suspect that these tough Chicago guys knew about this affair for a while, held it in their back pocket until they needed to play the card.

Yea, that fits so far
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

hnumpah

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2012, 04:00:00 AM »
Petraeus Quits; Evidence of Affair Was Found by F.B.I.

by MICHAEL D. SHEAR

WASHINGTON — David H. Petraeus, the director of the Central Intelligence Agency and one of America’s most decorated four-star generals, resigned on Friday after an F.B.I. investigation uncovered evidence that he had been involved in an extramarital affair.

Mr. Petraeus issued a statement acknowledging the affair after President Obama accepted his resignation and it was announced by the C.I.A. The disclosure ended a triumphant re-election week for the president with an unfolding scandal.

Government officials said that the F.B.I. began an investigation into a “potential criminal matter” several months ago that was not focused on Mr. Petraeus. In the course of their inquiry into whether a computer used by Mr. Petraeus had been compromised, agents discovered evidence of the relationship as well as other security concerns. About two weeks ago, F.B.I. agents met with Mr. Petraeus to discuss the investigation.

Administration and Congressional officials identified the woman as Paula Broadwell, the co-author of a biography of Mr. Petraeus. Her book, “All In: The Education of General David Petraeus,” was published this year. Ms. Broadwell could not be reached for comment.

Ms. Broadwell, a graduate of the United States Military Academy at West Point, spent 15 years in the military, according to a biography that had appeared on her Web site. She spent extended periods of time with Mr. Petraeus in Afghanistan, interviewing him for her book, which grew out of a two-year research project for her doctoral dissertation and which she promoted on a high-profile tour that included an appearance on “The Daily Show With Jon Stewart.”

Married with two children, she has described Mr. Petraeus as her mentor.

Senior members of Congress were alerted to Mr. Petraeus’s impending resignation by intelligence officials about six hours before the C.I.A. announced it. One Congressional official who was briefed on the matter said that Mr. Petraeus had been encouraged “to get out in front of the issue” and resign, and that he agreed.

As for how the affair came to light, the Congressional official said that “it was portrayed to us that the F.B.I. was investigating something else and came upon him. My impression is that the F.B.I. stumbled across this.”

The Federal Bureau of Investigation did not inform the Senate and House Intelligence Committees about the inquiry until this week, according to Congressional officials, who noted that by law the panels — and especially their chairmen and ranking members — are supposed to be told about significant developments in the intelligence arena. The Senate committee plans to pursue the question of why it was not told, one official said.

The revelation of a secret inquiry into the head of the nation’s premier spy agency raised urgent questions about Mr. Petraeus’s 14-month tenure at the C.I.A. and the decision by Mr. Obama to elevate him to head the agency after leading the country’s war effort in Afghanistan. White House officials said they did not know about the affair until this week, when Mr. Petraeus informed them.

“After being married for over 37 years, I showed extremely poor judgment by engaging in an extramarital affair,” Mr. Petraeus said in his statement, expressing regret for his abrupt departure. “Such behavior is unacceptable, both as a husband and as the leader of an organization such as ours. This afternoon, the president graciously accepted my resignation.”

Mr. Petraeus’s admission and resignation represent a remarkable fall from grace for one of the most prominent figures in America’s modern military and intelligence community, a commander who helped lead the nation’s wartime activities in the decade after the Sept. 11 attacks and was credited with turning around the failing war effort in Iraq.

Mr. Petraeus almost single-handedly forced a profound evolution in the country’s military thinking and doctrine with his philosophy of counterinsurgency, focused more on protecting the civilian population than on killing enemies. More than most of his flag officer peers, he understood how to navigate Washington politics and news media, helping him rise through the ranks and obtain resources he needed, although fellow Army leaders often resented what they saw as a grasping careerism.

“To an important degree, a generation of officers tried to pattern themselves after Petraeus,” said Stephen Biddle, a military scholar at George Washington University who advised Mr. Petraeus at times. “He was controversial; a lot of people didn’t like him. But everybody looked at him as the model of what a modern general was to be.”

At the C.I.A., Mr. Petraeus maintained a low profile, in contrast to the celebrity that surrounded him as a general. But since the attack in Benghazi, Libya, that killed four Americans two months ago, critics had increasingly pressured him to give the agency’s account of the chaotic night. Mr. Petraeus was scheduled to testify before a closed Congressional hearing next week.

White House officials say they were informed on Wednesday night that Mr. Petraeus was considering resigning because of an extramarital affair. Intelligence officials notified the president’s national security staff. Mr. Obama at the time was on his way back to Washington from Chicago, where he had gone to receive election returns.

On Thursday morning, just before a staff meeting at the White House, Mr. Obama was told. “He was surprised, and he was disappointed,” one senior administration official said. “You don’t expect to hear that the Thursday after you were re-elected.”

The president was in the White House all day on Thursday, getting back to his old routine after months on the campaign trail. That afternoon, Mr. Petraeus came in to see him, and informed him that he strongly believed he had to resign.

Mr. Obama did not accept his resignation right away. “He told him, ‘I’ll think about it overnight,’ ” the administration official said. After months on the road, the disclosure of a career-killing extramarital affair from his larger-than-life C.I.A. director was the last thing that Mr. Obama was expecting, the official said.

The president, officials said, did not want Mr. Petraeus to leave. But he ultimately decided that he would not lean heavily on him to stay. On Friday, he called Mr. Petraeus and accepted the resignation, “agreeing with Petraeus’s judgment that he couldn’t continue to lead the agency,” a White House official said.

The White House had hoped to keep the news under wraps until after the daily briefing for the news media, but as it was reported on MSNBC, reporters checking their e-mail confronted Jay Carney, the press secretary, who tried to duck the questions.

“I think I’ll let General Petraeus address this,” Mr. Carney said. Shortly after the news broke, Mr. Obama released a statement praising Mr. Petraeus for his “extraordinary service” to the country and expressing support for him and his wife, Holly.

“By any measure, through his lifetime of service, David Petraeus has made our country safer and stronger,” the president said. Without directly addressing the affair, Mr. Obama added, “Going forward, my thoughts and prayers are with Dave and Holly Petraeus, who has done so much to help military families through her own work.”

A favorite of President George W. Bush and once the subject of intense speculation about his future as a possible presidential candidate, Mr. Petraeus managed the awkward move from a Republican administration to a Democratic one. He was one of the most telegenic faces of the military during his tenure, testifying frequently in Congress about the country’s difficult battles overseas.

Mr. Petraeus clashed with Mr. Obama in 2008 during a campaign visit to Iraq, having what David Plouffe, his campaign manager, called in his book a “healthy debate” over troop levels in the country.

But the president’s decision to tap Mr. Petraeus to command the war in Afghanistan, and later picking him to lead the C.I.A., effectively ended lingering concerns among Obama political advisers that the popular general might challenge his commander in chief during the election.

Mr. Petraeus and his wife met when he was a cadet at West Point; she was the daughter of the academy’s superintendent and a student at Dickinson College in Pennsylvania.

Holly Petraeus works for the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, running a branch dedicated to educating military families about financial matters and monitoring their consumer complaints.

Mr. Petraeus’s resignation and the circumstances surrounding it stunned military officers who have served alongside him in war zones over the past two decades and the national security establishment he later served.

“It was a punch in the gut for those of us who know him,” said Col. Michael J. Meese, a professor at West Point who has known Mr. Petraeus for a decade and served as one of his top aides in Bosnia, Iraq and Afghanistan.

“Dave’s decision to step down represents the loss of one of our nation’s most respected public servants.” James R. Clapper, the director of national intelligence, said in a statement.

By acknowledging an extramarital affair, Mr. Petraeus, 60, was confronting a sensitive issue for a spy chief. Intelligence agencies are often concerned about the possibility that agents who engage in such behavior could be blackmailed for information.

Mr. Petraeus praised his colleagues at the C.I.A.’s headquarters in Langley, Va., calling them “truly exceptional in every regard” and thanking them for their service to the country. He made it clear that his departure was not how he had envisioned ending a storied career in the military and in intelligence.

“Teddy Roosevelt once observed that life’s greatest gift is the opportunity to work hard at work worth doing,” he said. “I will always treasure my opportunity to have done that with you, and I will always regret the circumstances that brought that work with you to an end.”

Under Mr. Bush, Mr. Petraeus was credited for helping to develop and put in place the “surge” in troops in Iraq that helped wind down the war there. Mr. Petraeus was moved to Afghanistan in 2010 after Mr. Obama fired Gen. Stanley A. McChrystal over comments he made to a reporter.

In his statement on Friday, Mr. Obama said that Michael J. Morell, the deputy director of the C.I.A., would take over once again as acting director, as he did briefly after Leon E. Panetta left the agency last year.

Among those who might succeed Mr. Petraeus permanently is John O. Brennan, the president’s adviser for domestic security and counterterrorism. Mr. Brennan was considered for C.I.A. director before Mr. Obama’s term began but withdrew amid criticism from some of the president’s liberal supporters. Another possibility is Michael G. Vickers, the top Pentagon intelligence policy official and a former C.I.A. paramilitary officer.

Reporting was contributed by Peter Baker, Helene Cooper, Michael S. Schmidt, Eric Schmitt and Scott Shane.

This article has been revised to reflect the following correction:

Correction: November 9, 2012

An earlier version of this article incorrectly stated that David H. Petraeus was expected to remain in President Obama’s cabinet. The C.I.A. director is not a cabinet member in the Obama administration.

A version of this article appeared in print on November 10, 2012, on page A1 of the New York edition with the headline: Petraeus Resigns at C.I.A.; F.B.I. Discovered an Affair.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/10/us/citing-affair-petraeus-resigns-as-cia-director.html?pagewanted=all

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2012, 08:13:51 AM »
Just curious.......

hnumpah and XO where do you come down on this issue?

do you think if it is discovered that the Director of the Central Intelligence Agency
is carrying on an extramarital affair should he or she resign? Or should they be able to
just remain on the post serving as the Director of the Central Intelligence Agency
and continue on with an on-going known extramarital affair?

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2012, 09:30:35 AM »
Kessler: FBI Investigation Led to Petraeus Resignation

Friday, 09 Nov 2012 04:43 PM

By Ronald Kessler reporting from Washington, D.C. 

The resignation of David H. Petraeus as CIA director followed an FBI investigation of many months, raising the question of why he was not forced out until after the election.

In his letter of resignation, Petraeus cited an extra-marital affair he had been having. "After being married for over 37 years, I showed extremely poor judgment by engaging in an extramarital affair," Petraeus said in his letter to President Obama. "Such behavior is unacceptable, both as a husband and as the leader of an organization such as ours."

Petraeus, who had a distinguished military career, revealed no additional details. However, an FBI source says the investigation began when American intelligence mistook an email Petraeus had sent to his girlfriend as a reference to corruption. Petraeus was commander of U.S. Forces in Afghanistan from July 4, 2010 until July 18, 2011.

The investigation began last spring, but the FBI then pored over his emails when he was stationed in Afghanistan.

The woman who was having an affair with Petraeus is a journalist who had been writing about him.

Given his top secret clearance and the fact that Petraeus is married, the FBI continued to investigate and intercept Petraeus email exchanges with the woman. The emails include sexually explicit references to such items as sex under a desk.

Such a relationship is a breach of top secret security requirements and could have compromised Petraeus.

At some point after Petraeus was sworn in as CIA director on Sept. 6, 2011, the woman broke up with him. However, Petraeus continued to pursue her, sending her thousands of emails over the last several months, raising even more questions about his judgment.

Neither Petraeus nor the CIA's Office of Public Affairs had any immediate comment.

FBI agents on the case expected that Petraeus would be asked to resign immediately rather than risk the possibility that he could be blackmailed to give intelligence secrets to foreign intelligence agencies or criminals. In addition, his pursuit of the woman could have distracted him as the CIA was giving Congress reports on the attack on the Benghazi consulate on Sept. 11.

The CIA's reporting to Congress included a claim that protests over a YouTube video played a role in the attacks, thus allowing Obama to initially discount the possibility that the U.S. had suffered another terrorist attack just before the election.

In contrast, based on real time video and reports, the State Department was reporting that the attack that led to the deaths of four Americans, including U.S. Ambassador J. Christopher Stevens, was terrorist-related. The State Department reported that there were no protests at the consulate.

Still, the White House, with concurrence by the FBI and Justice Department, held off on asking for Petraeus' resignation until after the election. His resignation occurred three days after the election, avoiding the possibility that Obama's ill-fated appointment of Petraeus could become an issue in the election.

FBI agents on the case were aware that such a decision had been made to hold off on forcing him out until after the election and were outraged.

"The decision was made to delay the resignation apparently to avoid potential embarrassment to the president before the election," an FBI source says. "To leave him in such a sensitive position where he was vulnerable to potential blackmail for months compromised our security and is inexcusable."

Michael Kortan, the FBI?s assistant director for public affairs, said he had no comment.

http://www.newsmax.com/Headline/petraeus-resigns-cia-affair/2012/11/09/id/463573

hnumpah

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2012, 09:33:21 AM »
My reply number 23, this thread, earlier this morning.

hnumpah

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2012, 09:49:33 AM »
BTW, I also feel the members of Seal Team Six who actually revealed classified information to EA to improve the realism in one of their games should have had their clearances revoked, been court-martialled, and been subject to more than a slap on the wrist.

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2012, 10:32:54 AM »
My reply number 23, this thread, earlier this morning.

"reply number 22" ?

So you think Petraeus should resign because "Anyone who has ever held a position that requires a security clearance, especially a high security clearance, knows that any whiff of somethng like that going on is grounds to have your clearance revoked. It's a security risk, because it makes you vulnerable to blackmail".

Does that mean you think Bill Clinton should have resigned?

hnumpah

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2012, 11:14:53 AM »
I didn't like Bubba either. Ask Sirs, BT and Plane. Pity his impeachment didn't end in conviction.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2012, 06:13:33 PM »
Once the affair is public, the guy is no longer a security risk. Of course, to those who think that marital fidelity and fidelity to the county are the same thing, the guy would continue to be a security risk.

This is a prudish country,and I don't think that Petraeus could function smoothly as the DCIA. This is not up to me. If Petraeus thinks he should resign, I can agree with his decision.

Probably in France, Germany, or many other nations, the director of espionage would not have had a problem with this as a scandal, since the French and the Germans do not equate sexual affairs with one being a traitor to the country.

As for Clinton, no, he should not have resigned and should not have been impeached. The Republicans knew that they did not have the votes to depose him, and only wasted time and money and distracted everyone in DC from doing their proper jobs, like watching Al Qaeda.

Of course, had Clinton resigned, Gore as the new incumbent would have easily clobbered Juniorbush,and we might all be better off. Juniorbush was a great whacking disaster to this country.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."