Author Topic: CIA chief Petraeus resigns, reportedly over affair  (Read 18044 times)

hnumpah

• You have another think coming. Use it.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
CIA chief Petraeus resigns, reportedly over affair
« on: November 09, 2012, 05:26:55 PM »
CIA chief Petraeus resigns, reportedly over affair
By Olivier Knox, Yahoo! News | The Ticket

CIA Director David Petraeus resigned his post on Friday, confessing to having shown "extremely poor judgment by engaging in an extramarital affair." The former Army general rocketed to global prominence as the man in charge of the "surge" in Iraq and later the commander of American forces in Afghanistan.

President Barack Obama said Petraeus had led the Central Intelligence Agency "with characteristic intellectual rigor, dedication, and patriotism.

"I am completely confident that the CIA will continue to thrive and carry out its essential mission, and I have the utmost confidence in Acting Director Michael Morell and the men and women of the CIA who work every day to keep our nation safe," the president said in a written statement.

"Going forward, my thoughts and prayers are with Dave and Holly Petraeus, who has done so much to help military families through her own work. I wish them the very best at this difficult time," Obama continued.

Director of National Intelligence James Clapper issued a statement that did not specify a reason for Petraeus's departure but praised his colleague extensively.

"From his long, illustrious Army career to his leadership at the helm of CIA, Dave has redefined what it means to serve and sacrifice for one's country," said Clapper.

Petraeus went to work as CIA chief in September 2011 after heading up the war in Afghanistan. He had drawn fire in the aftermath of the Sept. 11 attack on the American compound in Benghazi, Libya. His departure comes barely a week before he was scheduled to testify about the assault in closed-door sessions with the intelligence committees of the Senate and House of Representatives. Morell was expected to take his place, congressional aides said.

Petraeus' resignation letter, quoted by several news outlets, centered on his personal behavior.

"Yesterday afternoon, I went to the White House and asked the President to be allowed, for personal reasons, to resign from my position as D/CIA. After being married for over 37 years, I showed extremely poor judgment by engaging in an extramarital affair. Such behavior is unacceptable, both as a husband and as the leader of an organization such as ours," he said. "This afternoon, the President graciously accepted my resignation."

Petraeus, 60, has been described as the father of the military's counterinsurgency doctrine. The charismatic officer had been cited as a possible future presidential or vice presidential prospect.

His wife Holly has worked inside the Obama Administration, serving at the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.

Republican Senator John McCain, his party's senior member on the Senate Armed Services and one of Petraeus's most outspoken admirers, said the general "will stand in the ranks of America's greatest military heroes."

"His inspirational leadership and his genius were directly responsible — after years of failure — for the success of the surge in Iraq," McCain said in a statement. "Our thoughts and prayers are with him and his family."

Senate Intelligence Committee Chairwoman Dianne Feinstein, a Democrat, deplored the decision.

"I very much regret the resignation of David Petraeus," she said in a statement. "This is an enormous loss for our nation's intelligence community and for our country."

"I wish President Obama had not accepted this resignation, but I understand and respect the decision," Feinstein added.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/cia-chief-petraeus-resigns-reportedly-over-affair-201305343--politics.html
"I love WikiLeaks." - Donald Trump, October 2016

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: CIA chief Petraeus resigns, reportedly over affair
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012, 05:47:20 PM »
As he should have
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012, 05:56:12 PM »
As he should have

exactly SIRS!

none of this "well...uh...define is"

GONE!
"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 06:07:22 PM »
how convenient....just a few days after the election

and only a few days before he had to testify about BenghaziGate

This means Petraeus will not testify next week regarding Benghazi.

Conspiracy theory: Obama and/or his thugs instructed Petraeus to lie, or they'd expose the affair.

Petraeus exposes his own affair when he resigns, and by getting out of having to testify at all, he kills two birds with one stone.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Peace/2012/11/09/CIA-Director-Petraeus-Resigns

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2012, 06:10:43 PM »
Impressive
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
  • Liked:

hnumpah

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2012, 07:27:04 PM »
All of which ignores the fact, he can still be subpoenaed to testify if it is considered necessary.

Don't let the lizard men get you...

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2012, 07:30:47 PM »
What's with this obsession with lizardmen?  Xo had some obession with symmetry, now you with lizardmen.  Trekkie maybe?

hnumpah

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2012, 07:54:42 PM »
Well, I figure you guys are so obsessed with conspiracy theories, maybe you were worried about the lizard men aliens out to take over the world as well...Or maybe it's the Freemasons, who knows?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2012, 07:58:47 PM »
Who's obsessed with conspiracy theories?  Or more to the point, how do you define "obsessed"?  Referring to a possibility of events is "obsessed"??  Perhaps your biting off more than you can chew, or as I referenced before, maybe you're a closet trekkie, and just haven't watched your star trek quota for the week yet, full of lizardmen and aliens of all stripes

hnumpah

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2012, 08:21:55 PM »
Haven't seen Star Trek, in any of its many forms, in years.

I also don't see any conspiracy to keep Petraeus from testifying by having him resign, especially since, as I ponted out, he could still be subpoenaed anyway.

Or any conspiracy to keep the infamous film maker silent by keeping him in jail, since as I pointed out he could still make statements from there, and his attorney could have asked for an earlier bail hearing (even though, as it turned out, that was not what he was in jail for).

Or a conspiracy to influence the election because some guy in a leather jacket was standing outside a polling station.

Or a conspiracy to hide the militants claim of responsibility for the attack in Benghazi, the same responsibility they denied shortly thereafter.

I guess maybe I'm not paranoid enough.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2012, 08:25:54 PM »
Haven't seen Star Trek, in any of its many forms, in years.

Which presents an interesting conundrum with this obsession involving lizardmen..........As Spock would say, fascinating

hnumpah

• View Profile
  • Liked:

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2012, 09:24:32 PM »
Lizard people disguised as humans took over the Earth in the 1980's series called "V".

Klingons were said to be descended from something reptilian,and I think there was at least one lizard guy in the first Star Trek with Kirk.

Lizard people were not a usual feature on Star Trek.

I am not obsessed with symmetry, sirs is. He wants every attack on Republicans to be accompanied by an equal attack on Democrats. When he thinks that this did not happen, be kvetches snidely.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2012, 09:48:07 PM »
LOL, read back, Sirs...http://debategate.com/new3dhs/3dhs/'was-it-stolen'/msg145843/#msg145843

Yea.....and?  Perhaps if you did a better job at how you seem to define obsessed...and conspiracy.  Perhaps that can pull you out of the water

I am not obsessed with symmetry, sirs is. He wants every attack on Republicans to be accompanied by an equal attack on Democrats.

And like clockwork........wrong yet again