Author Topic: Sometimes you just gotta shake your head...  (Read 5856 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Sometimes you just gotta shake your head...
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2008, 10:48:36 PM »
There are dogs that can hurt you and dogs that really can't hurt you much.

Thereare dogs that are ready to hurt you and dogs that would rather be peacefull.

When you find a dog that combines the power required to do serious damage with a bad attitude , you nine of ten times find a humnan with a bad attitude too.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2008, 10:58:30 PM »
<<Actually, it does.>>

Proving yet again significant deficits in the Reading for Comprehension sector.  No surprises there.

OK, sirs, I'm not your remedial English teacher.  My posts say what they say.  By sheer coincidence, maybe one in ten of them may also say what you say it says, but I've decided that's not my problem.

Read the post again or not - - your choice.  Interpret it any way you like.  I'm done with it.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2008, 10:59:43 PM »
<<When you find a dog that combines the power required to do serious damage with a bad attitude , you nine of ten times find a humnan with a bad attitude too.>>

What about dogs that are bred to fight?  Even with a good owner, won't these be bad dogs?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2008, 11:03:24 PM »
<<Actually, it does.>>

Read the post again or not - - your choice.  Interpret it any way you like.  I'm done with it.

You were done (in) with your 1st effort.  Congrats on the consistency
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2008, 11:42:30 PM »
What about dogs that are bred to fight?  Even with a good owner, won't these be bad dogs?

The Jack Russell Terrier was bred for fighting. It was bred to hunt and kill rats.

A dog (any dog) is as good or bad as it's owner.

My wife worked for an animal hospital for several years. They had several pit bulls that she said "might lick you to death." Most of the chow-chows were like my GSD - they would pin you to one spot by rolling over onto your feet and beg for tummy rubs.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2008, 12:33:11 AM »
<<My wife worked for an animal hospital for several years. They had several pit bulls that she said "might lick you to death." >>

And did she ever encounter any other pit bulls who might prefer a different way of doing you in?

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2008, 08:54:11 AM »
And did she ever encounter any other pit bulls who might prefer a different way of doing you in?

No; they wouldn't all "lick you to death" but they were fairly calm dogs. She said the Border Collies all seemed to be "insane" (her description). But in general, in her experience, the smaller the dog, the more likely to be mean and snap at you.

I know that pit bulls, especially in an urban settings, have a reputation for being mean, but that's because they've been trained that way. You can make a lab act that way with the same training.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2008, 10:14:42 AM »
<<but that's because they've been trained that way. >>

No doubt they have been, but at this point, haven't they also been bred for that as well?

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2008, 10:49:18 AM »
No doubt they have been, but at this point, haven't they also been bred for that as well?

They've been bred with desirable features for a fighting dog.

Then again, so have Jack Russell Terriers, and no one seems to be afraid of them.

Dogs are friendly, unless they feel a member of their "pack" is threatened. That's their basic instinct. Aggressiveness is trained into them. No dog is aggressive because of their breeding, unless the breeder is careless and breeds animals that are too close genetically - and then you have a dog that is just generally unfit, usually because of a slight retardation, but this can manifest as aggressive tendencies.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2008, 10:59:24 AM »
Would you prefer a nip from a Chihuahua or a real bite from a pitbull or a bulldogs, that refuses to let go?

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2008, 12:02:01 PM »
Would you prefer a nip from a Chihuahua or a real bite from a pitbull or a bulldogs, that refuses to let go?

Don't know. I've never been bitten by a chihuahua, but my ankles are real sensitive. I've only been bitten twice, once by a labrador, and once by an airedale. Another time a bulldog was aggressive towards me, but I stared him down until he gave up. Even though I've spent a lot of time with animals, I've had very few problems.

fatman

« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2008, 01:03:49 PM »
I have a Saint (St. Bernard).  I don't know who posted it, but whoever posted that about the bigger the dog, the more liable the owner is and the greater need for responsibility is dead on.  A Saint isn't a chihuahua, even if it is far more friendly.  I'm 5'7 and 200 lbs, and when Cassius jumps on me he'll knock me down.  Imagine what that would do to a 5 year old or 70 year old.  So I'm very careful about socializing him and always have him leashed in public, not because he's mean, but because his friendliness paradoxically is dangerous.  I think that people whose dogs bite someone else should be prosecuted fully, there is no reason for this, and the "accidents happen" thing is too little, too late.  While an attack from my dog may prove fatal, I have been bitten far more by small, yappy furballs than by any larger dog.  Most attacks probably come from smaller dogs, most fatalities probably by larger ones.

As to people taking their dogs with them, I'll take Cassius to PetSmart or PetCo and let him go inside.  Often I'll take him in the pickup when I'm just going to the store or a short trip.  Taking him to a restaurant or voting might have logistical problems.  Most of the people I see taking their dogs into grocery stores, restaurants etc., are either very young women or very old women.  I've never asked their political persuasion.  I don't like a dog hanging over the meat counter, it just seems wrong to me.

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2008, 01:23:44 PM »
You know, Ami, you keep coming back to Jack Russell terriers.  I know the breed, and I know what they're bred for.  But honestly, breeding a dog to fight vermin in the house is also breeding a house dog and the aggression they breed for is probably confined to anti-rat or maybe anti-rodent (which could include rabbits, squirrels, chipmunks, etc.) aggression, but any animal which showed a predisposition to attack other canines or humans would certainly be removed from the breeding stock, I would think. 

A pit bull OTOH would be valued for its readiness to attack other dogs.  Breeding guard dogs would be even trickier - - the aggression desired should be against all humans but one, but released only on command.  How do you breed out teh ones that don't want to wait for the command?  I think a lot of mistakes are made in that area.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2008, 02:16:54 PM »
A pit bull OTOH would be valued for its readiness to attack other dogs.  Breeding guard dogs would be even trickier - - the aggression desired should be against all humans but one, but released only on command.  How do you breed out teh ones that don't want to wait for the command?  I think a lot of mistakes are made in that area.

The aggressiveness is trained into the dog. There is no gene for "aggressiveness" - if there is, then humans would also have a gene for "aggressiveness." What you're seeing as aggressiveness is actually a dog's natural instinct for "pack" protection that is enhanced with training.

As I said, dogs are bred for "features" that would make them good at some task.

And, actually, your argument goes AGAINST your argument that GSDs are aggressive dogs. The GSD was specifically bred to REMOVE features that had been selectively bred for in dogs for generations. It was an attempt to go back to the original dogs that were our companions in pre-history, a dog that would work for it's living. The original strain was developed by cross-breeding a large number of different breeds to remove the recessive dominance that various breeding programs had highlighted.

Rich