Author Topic: Sometimes you just gotta shake your head...  (Read 5857 times)

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Sometimes you just gotta shake your head...
« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2008, 09:41:14 PM »
<<There is no gene for "aggressiveness" - if there is, then humans would also have a gene for "aggressiveness." >>

But I'm sure that there are human genetic factors for aggression.  Hostility.  Some has to be environmental, sure, but I would think that natural selection would have (up to a point) favoured aggresiveness.  Then in civilized times, it might have become a disadvantageous trait, but civilized time on an evolutionary scale must be very short compared to the uncivilized time when nature favoured aggression.

<<What you're seeing as aggressiveness is actually a dog's natural instinct for "pack" protection that is enhanced with training.>>

Well training's obviously important, but among well-trained dogs there must be some that turn on their masters more frequently than others do, and that difference - - if it exists - - could certainly be explained by hereditary factors.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2008, 09:44:33 PM »
Well training's obviously important, but among well-trained dogs there must be some that turn on their masters more frequently than others do, and that difference - - if it exists - - could certainly be explained by hereditary factors.

A dog only turns on it's owner if it's abused, or has a disease like rabies.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2008, 12:22:57 AM »
<<When you find a dog that combines the power required to do serious damage with a bad attitude , you nine of ten times find a humnan with a bad attitude too.>>

What about dogs that are bred to fight?  Even with a good owner, won't these be bad dogs?

Like English Bulldogs?

Dogs are very adaptable , very sensitive to the people around them , it is comon for a dog to have a nervous nature that makes him hard to handle  , but not more often for fighting breeds.

I once had to have a dog put down that was biteing the neighborhood children , it was a mix of Lab and Chow. I really hated to loose her but she was impossible to controll . she was sweet with my own kids , but on impulse would attack other kids.

I see your point because I have had that experience , but I don't blame the breed .