Author Topic: President George Bush Kicking A$$  (Read 88173 times)

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: President George Bush Kicking A$$
« Reply #270 on: June 12, 2008, 01:54:07 AM »
Cynthia

You blamed Bush for your board of education's failures.

NCLB did not demand teaching to the test.

Your admin staff encouraged it to save their jobs.

That was what the NCLB thread was about.

Cynthia

« Reply #271 on: June 12, 2008, 02:16:58 AM »
Cynthia

You blamed Bush for your board of education's failures.

NCLB did not demand teaching to the test.

Your admin staff encouraged it to save their jobs.

That was what the NCLB thread was about.

Bush's NCLB act demanded  change FOR THE SAKE OF CHANGE, BT. Someone's point earlier today?!
The change is no different from the war on terrorism.
Send in the troops and fight the "enemy".
Our administration is being pressured to make such changes, as are the generals and military personnel in the fight against terrorism.
Buck FREAKIN STOPS AT THE DESK OF THE PRESIDENT, BT.

The thread of the NCLB was an ebb and flow based on many subjective expressions within this group of individuals.

BUT NO one really "won" that argument because that debate was flawed.

To truly "win" any debate in this organization, 3DHS will take a more indepth analysis and discussion that I have yet to witness. That's ok, because this is not that sort of "give and take" sort of place. I have noted that point before. This is a place for egos to win on point against another person.....at any cost..BUT, there is really no room for a final consensus because the posts are "sound bites".

OF course there is more to any story, and you have shown that here with your own son's experience.

Why not understand the individual's point of view based on such an experience? Heck, I would.

But, this group relies on global and universal points to end a debate.

Not valid. Not factual. >but pure 3DHS style.

So, we take all of these "exchanges" with such a grain of salt.

I would LOVE to see more research in any point made on the board...but there isn't the patience for such a tit for tat here.

I know exactly HOW THE NCLB is flawed. I see it.

YOU know exactly how the gov. is treating your son. YOU SEE IT firsthand.

But, there is SOOOOOOO MUCH more gray area to view, and we can't explore that here.

So, in the end, no one really wins a point here on the gate, unless you are a seasoned and respected leader as yourself.

Ok, that's unfair, but I wonder if there is a sort of "air" of authority about you and others here after so many years. I admire you, I do, I think you are smart, as is Ami, I do.....but there can be a bit of "good ole boys" attitude that is keeping this group from truly discussing issues with more than

PROVE IT WITH #'S ...bottom line.
But also BT said it, so it must be true, sort of attitude.

I think Pres. Bush is responsible for calling our NCLB act into place. He is the man whom we elected to run this country.
It is flawed BIG TIME, BILL. mY GOD....YOU WILL NEVER UNDERSTAND THAT.

Numbers can lie, just like Ami referenced politicians can lie.
Hmm interesting, indeed.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 02:24:48 AM by Cynthia »

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #272 on: June 12, 2008, 03:10:53 AM »
You seem to have some deep seated issues with me.

I think it best if i just respond to other posters.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #273 on: June 12, 2008, 11:18:37 AM »
I know you are a fact findin' sorta guy....but I have yet, once again, seen you find facts to prove YOUR STANCE.

I'm not the one proposing a change. I have no need to "find facts" to propose "no change".

And BT's post provided hard numbers. Something you have yet to provide on this subject.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #274 on: June 12, 2008, 11:20:29 AM »
Well, I can only counter by saying that BT and his clip from Wiki do not win a debate in terms of the bigger picture in this new discussion" that you have demanded here.

I'm talking about BT's post from a year or so ago about his experiences with the VA and his own health care treatment.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #275 on: June 12, 2008, 11:22:00 AM »
There is clearly a difference in what was offered the WW2 and what is offered to vet today...

Yes. The benefits provided today are BETTER than those provided in 1945.

I would take the word of a congressman over a word from BT,  ;)

I wouldn't. I wouldn't trust a Congress critter further than I could throw him.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #276 on: June 12, 2008, 11:24:41 AM »
If you feel so strongly that figures are so crucial to the DEBATE YOU HAVE suddenly called for here, then YOU show me the numbers, please.

Again, I'm not the one claiming a change is needed.

Since you think numbers and evidence don't matter, fine. Debate is over.

And the result seems to be a change is not needed, since the person proposing the change cannot explain empirically why a change is needed.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #277 on: June 12, 2008, 11:32:10 AM »
Sirs mentioned that the vets from WW2 suffered more or less in comparison to the Iraqi vets.

I responded with the fact that the vets of WW2 had the GI Bill, at least in their corner. . compared to today's vets.

I was challenged and asked for numbers and numbers and numbers again.

When you mentioned that WWII had the GI Bill, I said that it still exists.

Then you countered that it did not exist, because a politician said it did not.

I said that it's still in the budget, and the government is still spending money on it.

You said that they're not spending enough.

That's when I asked for numbers - to prove that they're not "spending enough." Anybody can say they're not "spending enough" - the numbers will show if it's really "enough" or sour grapes.

After all, since the government isn't paying for 100% of my housing, food, gasoline, and health care, I can claim that they're not "spending enough" on me. But is my claim reasonable?

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #278 on: June 12, 2008, 11:35:38 AM »
Bush's NCLB act demanded  change FOR THE SAKE OF CHANGE, BT. Someone's point earlier today?!

The NCLB Act demanded change to improve the reading, math, and science skills of our students. It was not change for the sake of "change", it was change to improve our school system. I can show you the statistics that show a drop in skills of high school graduates over the last 40 years or so to bolster my argument that a change was needed.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #279 on: June 12, 2008, 12:38:38 PM »
The fact that change was needed does not actually prove that the changes made under NCLB would result in improvements. Change can also make things worse.

The problem seems to be that NCLB has caused school administrations to teach to the test. Since the tests given are mostly multiple choice questions, and multiple choice questions are an imprecise way of measuring knowledge, this could result in a better ability to take ABC tests and a lesser understanding of the material.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #280 on: June 12, 2008, 12:51:58 PM »
The fact that change was needed does not actually prove that the changes made under NCLB would result in improvements. Change can also make things worse.

I wonder if McCain is paying attention.  I forsee a new campaign commercial coming along

« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 01:52:13 PM by sirs »
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #281 on: June 12, 2008, 12:55:26 PM »
The problem seems to be that NCLB has caused school administrations to teach to the test.

Do water operators "shock" the system (like pool cleaners do) prior to doing mandatory testing under the clean water act?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #282 on: June 12, 2008, 01:56:15 PM »

I wonder if McCain is paying attention.  I forsee a new campaign commercial coming along

=============================================================
As in "Let's continue the wrong kind of change that Juniorbush has wrought"?

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #283 on: June 12, 2008, 02:00:07 PM »
Naaa, more like "Change, for the sake of change, can make what's wrong in this country, far worse"
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle