Author Topic: The 2nd Amendment Lives! Shot Heard Round The World. FREEDOM WINS.  (Read 38987 times)

Christians4LessGvt

• View Profile
    • "The Religion Of Peace"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
June 26, 2008

WASHINGTON - The Supreme Court says Americans have a right to own guns for self-defense
and hunting, the justices' first major pronouncement on gun rights in U.S. history.

http://news.yahoo.com/i/701;_ylt=AvDzye9RR38PWmaCBBcwKHyyFz4D

Yeeee Haw  ;)

"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" - Ronald Reagan - June 12, 1987

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: The 2nd Amendment Lives! Shot Heard Round The World. FREEDOM WINS.
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 11:34:55 AM »
Let's watch, and count how often opponents to this will imply some "bitterly split decision"..."RW Activism"..."a partisan divided court"...garbage like that.  The one thing you won't see anywhere is the reference to a "stinging rebuke aimed at the Anti-gun lobby"

But I'd have to also say.......IT'S ABOUT DAMN TIME they ruled on this issue
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 12:09:58 PM by sirs »
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 07:10:17 PM »
shhhhhhhhhh

;)
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 07:22:27 PM »
<<Let's watch, and count how often opponents to this will imply some "bitterly split decision"..."RW Activism"..."a partisan divided court"...garbage like that. >>

It WAS a 5-4 split, wasn't it?  That's hardly a ringing judicial endorsement.  Given the presence of a clown like Clarence Thomas on that bench, who basically isn't qualified to express an opinion in that company, I'd say the whole thing is a travesty.  And I'm not an anti-gun fanatic, my dad owned a handgun and a double-barreled shotgun and carefully showed me how to handle, care for and shoot both of them.   Like most Canadians, I chose not to have firearms in the home, primarily for safety-related reasons.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 07:31:14 PM »
If you have a gun in your home, statistically the most likely person to be shot with it is....YOU!
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 07:32:39 PM »
If you have a gun in your home, statistically the most likely person to be shot with it is....YOU!

Only if you manipulate the statistics.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2008, 07:41:05 PM »
Only if you manipulate the statistics.
===============
Naturally, you have a fresh set of non-manipulated statistics handy that you will show us.

This isn't a victory for freedom unless we use our nice new guns to overthrow the government, is it?
Shouldn't we at least have a go at it, just to make sure it is possible to bring down the government.

Maybe if the NRA could call for an attack and just wound Cheney a little, it could lift our spirits.
No one likes the creep.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 07:43:54 PM by Xavier_Onassis »

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2008, 07:44:02 PM »
Naturally, you have a fresh set of non-manipulated statistics handy that you will show us.

Nah, I'll just point out the problems with yours. 'Course, you haven't provided any yet.
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2008, 11:56:57 PM »
We will all be freer and able to overthrow the government now that we can all be armed and dangerous.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2008, 12:59:37 AM »
with appropriate modification
<<Let's watch, and count how often opponents to this will imply some "bitterly split decision"..."RW Activism"..."a partisan divided court"...garbage like that. >>

It WAS a 5-4 split, wasn't it?  That's hardly a ringing judicial endorsement <on civilian courts for terrorist suspects>.  Given the presence of a clown like <Ruth Bader Ginsberg> on that bench, who basically isn't qualified to express an opinion in that company, I'd say the whole thing is a travesty.  And I'm not an anti-torture fanatic

Universe Prince

• Of course liberty isn't safe; but it is good.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2008, 02:19:33 AM »

This isn't a victory for freedom unless we use our nice new guns to overthrow the government, is it?

I don't know why you would think so.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever.
--Hieronymus Karl Frederick Baron von Munchausen ("The Adventures of Baron Munchausen" [1988])--

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2008, 08:02:56 AM »
MT:  <<It WAS a 5-4 split, wasn't it?  That's hardly a ringing judicial endorsement.  Given the presence of a clown like Clarence Thomas on that bench, who basically isn't qualified to express an opinion in that company, I'd say the whole thing is a travesty.  And I'm not an anti-gun fanatic,>>

sirs:  <<It WAS a 5-4 split, wasn't it?  That's hardly a ringing judicial endorsement <on civilian courts for terrorist suspects>.  Given the presence of a clown like <Ruth Bader Ginsberg> on that bench, who basically isn't qualified to express an opinion in that company, I'd say the whole thing is a travesty. >>
========================================================================
RUTH BADER GINSBURG (please note spelling of last name)
from Wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruth_Bader_Ginsburg
- 13 yrs. as Fed judge
- ACLU General Counsel
- Professor of Law, Rutgers U. Law School
- Prof. of Law, Columbia U. Law School
- tied for 1st in her class at Columbia Law School
- Columbia Law Review
- Harvard Law Review
- chief litigator of the ACLU's women's rights project, she argued several cases in SCOTUS
- confirmed 96 to 3 in US Senate

Your turn, Mr. Big Mouth:  CLARENCE THOMAS . . .

Oh yeah, and I almost forgot.  While you're at it, look this up:  No. of opinions authored by RBG; no. of opinions authored by CT.  Innarrestin.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 08:05:38 AM by Michael Tee »

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2008, 08:23:58 AM »
Oh yeah, and I almost forgot.  While you're at it, look this up:  No. of opinions authored by RBG; no. of opinions authored by CT.  Innarrestin.

Justice Thomas: 131
Justice Ginsburg: 124

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2008, 08:40:30 AM »
Frankly, I'm surprised, but  I am sure if you look at almost all of Thomas' opinions, they are nothing more than dressed up ways of saying "I concur with______" whereas Ginsburg's would tend, as a former member of TWO Ivy League law school reviews, to be original works of legal scholarship.  She'd have no need to dress up a simple concurrence.  In any event, a detailed comparison of the two point-by-point as I suggested would easily reveal which one is the judicial scholar and which one is the clown.