Author Topic: Do you believe in ME?  (Read 3728 times)

Cynthia

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: Do you believe in ME?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008, 10:40:56 PM »
A 3% reduction in teaching staff when faced with a 84M deficit is actually pretty good.

I wonder what percentage was cut from administrative and management jobs.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 11:05:02 PM »
Probably a lot less     :-\
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008, 11:07:35 PM »
Probably a lot less

I'm going to guess more. Probably more fat in that sector.

Wonder who made the math error. And were they fired?

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2008, 11:12:04 PM »
Inquiring minds would love to know
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Cynthia

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2008, 11:17:38 PM »
A 3% reduction in teaching staff when faced with a 84M deficit is actually pretty good.

I wonder what percentage was cut from administrative and management jobs.

The little boy's speech was so awesome. Don't you think? Did you listen to it? Of course, it's probably only "priceless and meaningful to teachers and not the general population, but oh well, he touched my heart.

It was presented to us today at one of the many, many in-service workshops that we must attend district wide.

I have to admit that things are getting better for all because of the push to raise test scores, albeit push is the only word I can come up with to describe what should otherwise be a support to raise test scores. But, I can live with what we have for now.

Our Teachers have been attending training courses right and left for several years. This year more than ever. I, for one, enjoy the professional development part of the NCLB funding. I learn a lot. . . even though I have taught for so many years. It's like being a doctor. Who would want to have a doctor "work out the kinks" using 1950's direction?

Today we spent four hours  basically going over scores, benchmarks, demographics---not to mention reviewing individual student's scores from the 3-5 grade level.
Our district RDA team has come up with something called "safe harbor".  We find those children who did not make proficiency by 1-10 points NP (nearing proficient students). We will focus on lifting their scores to meet Proficiency all in order to make AYP.  The hope is that if we bring their scores up and over that measurable fence we will make AYP next year. So much valuable time spent on how to keep from drowning. Damn.

Oh well....such is life because of the State Dept....Oh that bloody State Dept. PED.....and of course it' not the fault of NCLB--

The act is not responsible for the very reactions states are subject to. . . of COURSE NOT>

So, silly stupid individual states for making hell on the earth for public schools.

Just this afternoon we "learned" all over again about Blooms Taxonomy. !!!! I had that in college in the 1970's. Ok, not that there's anything wrong with revisiting the old school idea of multiple intelligences. In fact, if the public schools had not bought into Houghton Mifflin/Harcort Brace/Silver Burdett publishing companies for all these years......teachers could have used what they learned at the university level all these years.    BUT no....instead NOW we are presented with the best practices idea. Bloom! Oh call off the dogs...wow....what a great novel idea.

Damn it.....I have to say that someone dropped the ball years ago. So, that's why I can not blame the NCLB ACT. But, by damn this better remain as a new page in the nation's education system and stay as put! ..as Put can be.

Ironically, now the individual States approach of solving the issue of leaving NO CHILD behind is to purchase the very basel programs such as  Houghton Miffline, TERC, and Harcourt along with all the rest of the research based programs to solve the problems that have taken the public schools into the abiss all these years.

Bottom line is....as a teacher...that little boy is right on the money. By damn if it takes a freaking village to help each and every child learn...I will do it.
But, in the meantime, we have to be ready to show that the students can read the state standards when a principal walks in the room. ..be able to tell the principal what he/she has learned ON THE SPOT, etc , etc ,etc.
The prinicpals jobs are on the line...and in the meantime the pressure to make the grade  affects us all.

Someday all will iron out....but for now, it's crazy making indeed.

My heart was touched by that little key note speech.
Take a listen if you can...Y'all.

Cindy
« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 11:22:11 PM by Cindy »

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2008, 11:24:06 PM »
The little boy's speech was so awesome. Don't you think? Did you listen to it?

Yes I did. I believe he can go as far as he likes as long as he continues to believe in himself and refuses to allow the lack of belief by others to get in his way.

Cynthia

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2008, 11:26:08 PM »
The little boy's speech was so awesome. Don't you think? Did you listen to it?

Yes I did. I believe he can go as far as he likes as long as he continues to believe in himself and refuses to allow the lack of belief by others to get in his way.

Amen...as he said in the end.

Loved it!
and so did all of the teachers in that audience, if you heard them.

They are not the ones who do not support children.

It's the very people who put down the public school systems who need to be held accountable. Shame on them for making any child feel as though the public schools are "less" and private and voucher based home schooling is where it's at.

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2008, 11:33:31 PM »
It's the very people who put down the public school systems who need to be held accountable.

Public schools should be held accountable.
As the boy said, it isn't just about him, it's about his grandchildren.

If public schools are meeting the public's expectations, if they are achieving the mission they are assigned, then no problem.

But no institution funded by the public treasure is exempt from scrutiny, and if it needs to be fixed, we can't waste a generation getting it done.

It's about believing in yourself, after all.

He feels he can succeed.

How about those charged with helping him?

Cynthia

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2008, 11:47:04 PM »
It's the very people who put down the public school systems who need to be held accountable.

Public schools should be held accountable.
As the boy said, it isn't just about him, it's about his grandchildren.

If public schools are meeting the public's expectations, if they are achieving the mission they are assigned, then no problem.

But no institution funded by the public treasure is exempt from scrutiny, and if it needs to be fixed, we can't waste a generation getting it done.

It's about believing in yourself, after all.

He feels he can succeed.

How about those charged with helping him?

I can only say that there are many teachers who do not want to fight the fight anymore. The negativity based on publishing the test scores(either on or off, black or white viewpoint), or the blame game that I have to say that sometimes you subscribe to, for example, only makes for poor morale among many, many PS teachers across this nation.
I wonder if you truly believe that public schools are failing because of a few bad apples. Could it be that they are failing because good teachers are tired of this fight and leaving right and left??
We needed to hear this boy today---not because we are not good at our job, but because we are tired of being put down. We needed his encouragement...ironically. Truth.
We needed HIS support.

I find that posts like yours are more often than not negative about the public schools, Bill. That's too bad.

But, you are not in the classroom and you really do not see that part of this picture.

So, when a person does not see the entire scope of a system, I take what that person has to offer as opinion with a huge grain of salt.

I never said that the PS's should not be held accountable. You jumped right into that rhetoric, once again...sadly.  :(
« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 11:53:51 PM by Cindy »

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2008, 12:08:32 AM »
I find that posts like yours are more often than not negative about the public schools, Bill. That's too bad.

perhaps where we differ is i value the customers of an institution more than i do the institution itself.

think about it and perhaps you will see that my missives are not grounded in negativity, they are grounded in hope after hope that some day others will value the customers more than the corporation.

And those who do not want to fight the fight anymore need to move on and let those who are up to the challenge replace them.

See .......that young man asked me to believe in him, so i will. Because he believes in himself. but i certainly don't believe in those who have the capacity to help this man on his journey yet no longer want to fight the fight and deliver on their part of the equation.

Cynthia

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2008, 12:10:53 AM »
Listen to the video again,BT....

HE says.....YOU ARE THE ONES WHO FEED US, WIPE OUR TEARS, HOLD OUR HANDS, LOVE US WHEN SOMETIMES WHEN SOMEONE IT FEELS AS THOUGH NO ONE ELSE DOES.

When NO one else does......

Believe IN THEM...trust them... when times get tough.

Our counselor was in tears after this video today.

It was truly an inspirational video for many people...not just teachers.

Perhaps it's for folks like you, who do not believe in the system you know very little about on the ground level.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2008, 12:15:06 AM by Cindy »

Cynthia

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2008, 12:11:59 AM »

perhaps where we differ is i value the customers of an institution more than i do the institution itself.

think about it and perhaps you will see that my missives are not grounded in negativity, they are grounded in hope after hope that some day others will value the customers more than the corporation.

And those who do not want to fight the fight anymore need to move on and let those who are up to the challenge replace them.

See .......that young man asked me to believe in him, so i will. Because he believes in himself. but i certainly don't believe in those who have the capacity to help this man on his journey yet no longer want to fight the fight and deliver on their part of the equation.

wow! have you missed the boat on this one, BT...but that was  to be expected. :(

Last line in his speech...

"I want to thank you for what you do for me and SO MANY OTHERS".

I don't think you hear that, BT.

You land on the rhetoric that is...if you can't cook, get out of the kitchen....

« Last Edit: October 18, 2008, 12:13:53 AM by Cindy »

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2008, 12:15:53 AM »
wow you missed the boat on this one, BT...but that was expected.

Sorry. The issue is about him, not you. And that seems to be the major difference in our positions. 

Cynthia

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2008, 12:19:54 AM »
wow you missed the boat on this one, BT...but that was expected.

Sorry. The issue is about him, not you. And that seems to be the major difference in our positions. 
LOL...nope never said anything about me in this.

I am responding to your negativity about public education in general.

But, thank God you are not a teacher...stick with your position as politician.

You can also make a difference. I believe in the political system, but sometimes there are very bad apples in that arena, as well.

Bottom line, BT...

He is applauding the fact that we DO believe in him and the system.

Sorry you can't see that.