Author Topic: We're fucked  (Read 23736 times)

crocat

Re: We're fucked
« Reply #150 on: October 26, 2008, 08:31:00 PM »
LOL on the hypothetical.... NOT... they are your mantra.
NEVER do I see respect for these people (in your words) whilst you pretend to want to help them.

I thought I have made it abundantly clear that I do have my own.

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #151 on: October 26, 2008, 08:40:28 PM »
NEVER do I see respect for these people (in your words) whilst you pretend to want to help them.

I thought I have made it abundantly clear that I do have my own.

What people? I am talking about basic principles. People do not need my help, they simply need to be able to help themselves. Since I believe that any woman should be able to decide whether she has a baby or not, I simply believe that in a civilized society, this option should be available and well-known. I am not pretending that I want to help or do not want to help. Women whom I do not know are fee beings, I would not presume to do more than try to see t it that the state provides the options mentioned.

You have made it abundantly clear that you have your own WHAT? Pregnant unmarried daughters? Worthy daughter's boyfriends? I was talking about basic rights, not specific people, and was unaware that any of this actually had to do with specific people. The principles involved, however, are entirely the same.

If I say you should have freedom of speech, it means you can say anything about anyone so long as libel and public endangerment do not occur. You can say silly things, or say them in a squeeky shrill voice like fingernails on a chalkboard, or grunt them in the language of the Klingon or the Wookie.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Michael Tee

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #152 on: October 26, 2008, 09:09:18 PM »
<<Michael, Michael.... this is no 'strawman'.... this is you failing to realize that laws are always up for judicial interpretation. >>

Well, cro, the fact is that I was talking about very specific rights, a right to food, for example, a right to shelter, not just any right, and you then came back and attempted to rebut me by attacking as being ridiculous, a claim to a right "to do anything one pleases." 

Well, of course I never asserted that anyone had a right to do "anything one pleases."  So by attacking a claim to a right that I never made, you were in fact setting up a straw-man.  The whole idea of a so-called right to do whatever one pleases is a straw man.  There is no such right, I never claimed there was any such right, and rather than attack claims I actually made (of a right to food, a right to shelter) you were ignoring those claims of rights that I DID make to go on the offensive against a claim that I never made, the claim of a right to do whatever one pleases.  That is the very essence of a straw-man argument.

<<You want (what you consider to be ) rights not to be impinged upon but the problem lies in the fact that we cannot cherry pick any rights laid out by the Constitution.  >>

But of course we can.  Why can't we?  Are you saying that if somebody infringes my right to freedom of speech, that I can't assert only that one right?  That I have to claim all the rights of the Constitution before I can claim the only right that anyone tried to take away from me?  That makes no sense at all.

<<That is EXACTLY what I see liberals doing time after time. >>

Well, so what?  Why should a liberal who wants to defend free speech rights also have to launch into a defence of Second Amendment rights at the same time?  When blacks were defending equal protection rights, were they also obliged to go to bat for the Second Amendment at the same time?  That's nuts.

<<Now since you are a communist me thinks that you are not talking about rights at all.>>

Well, as long as this communist has to live in a capitalist system, the only rights he has are the ones that are granted by the system.  So they're the only ones he's concerned with at the present time.

<<You are just talking about Party promises.  >>

No.  Read my lips.  Read my posts.  I am talking about rights.  Constitutional rights, which are pretty much the same in our two countries.  I don't know how I can make this any plainer.  What I said is in black and white and it refers to rights under the Constitution of the U.S.A. and the very similar rights under the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

<<Since the Party is making up the rules (not rights) they are the only one than can change them or take them away (without debate or the public having a voice in that decision).  Well, I suppose that they could with a revolution.>>

I'll save comment on that last for another debate on another subject.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #153 on: October 26, 2008, 10:23:10 PM »
A right to food and shelter?

That needs a thread of its own.

R.R.

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #154 on: October 24, 2010, 06:44:42 PM »
Hey, I found my post from 2008. 3700 views? Whoa, it must have been the subject title.

There is a big difference from 2008 to now. People have soured on so called "hope and change," big time.

XO, get your surfboard buddy, and ride the Tea Party wave.

Kramer

• Repeal ObamaCare
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #155 on: October 24, 2010, 09:41:18 PM »
Hopefully on Nov 2, 2010 we will be unfucked.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 10:06:36 PM by Kramer »

R.R.

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #156 on: October 25, 2010, 03:21:43 PM »
I hope so. I would love to see Barney Frank lose his job for being mostly responsbible for the mortage mess. I would love to see Senator Mam (Boxer) lose her title. I would love to see Christine O'Donnell win, just to watch the liberal left's heads explode.