Author Topic: Congressman Rangel  (Read 5220 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Congressman Rangel
« on: November 20, 2006, 12:48:41 PM »

Mucho

Re: Congressman Rangel
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2006, 01:34:06 PM »
http://articles.news.aol.com/news/_a/congressman-rangel-will-seek-to/20061119133009990016?ncid=NWS00010000000001

You were warned .

He seriously wants a draft.

And he is perfectly correct as long as their are no exemptions.  If  the rich tax--cuts lovers were to have THEIR children at risk, they would stop supporting the war almost as quickly as thinking that their taxes might be raised if the war goes on.

Amianthus

• Bring on the flames...
    • View Profile
    • Mario's Home Page
  • Liked:
Pelosi says 'no' on Rangel's draft bill
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2006, 02:53:42 PM »
Monday, November 20, 2006

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Incoming House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-California, said Monday Rep. Charlie Rangel's, D-New York, call for a reinstatement of the draft is something he has long championed to promote shared sacrifice. But Pelosi, having just concluded a meeting with incoming House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer, D-Maryland, to discuss the Democratic agenda, said the leadership will not support the measure.

"It's not about a draft it's about shared sacrifice in our country," Pelosi told reporters in her Capitol Hill office. "Mr. Rangel will be very busy with his work on the Ways and Means Committee which jurisdiction is quite different, but he is a strong voice for social justice in our country. And that's a way to make a point that this war has not involved or made any shared sacrifice."

When asked directly if she supported the measure, Pelosi said "No. No."

Article
Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight. (Benjamin Franklin)

hnumpah

• You have another think coming. Use it.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2006, 04:05:09 PM »
If he wants a draft that doesn't also favor the children of the rich, there are going to have to be some changes from the way it was run in the past, such as getting rid of the exemptions for college students.

"I love WikiLeaks." - Donald Trump, October 2016

BT

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • DebateGate
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2006, 04:17:40 PM »
No reason women shouldn't be drafted either.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Pelosi says 'no' on Rangel's draft bill
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2006, 04:29:30 PM »
Monday, November 20, 2006
"It's not about a draft it's about shared sacrifice in our country," Pelosi told reporters in her Capitol Hill office. "Mr. Rangel will be very busy with his work on the Ways and Means Committee which jurisdiction is quite different, but he is a strong voice for social justice in our country. And that's a way to make a point that this war has not involved or made any shared sacrifice."
Article

So, in other words, any draft resolution by Democrats is because Bush made them do it?
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

The_Professor

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2006, 04:46:29 PM »
For quite some time, I have advocated a system where every young man or woman, upon graduation from high school or equivalent age, isrequired to serve two eyars in military service OR public serivce (building park benches along the Appalachian Trail or similar). Good for Society, great for building maturity.

sirs

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2006, 04:53:57 PM »
For quite some time, I have advocated a system where every young man or woman, upon graduation from high school or equivalent age, isrequired to serve two eyars in military service OR public serivce. Good for Society, great for building maturity.

I can go along with that, though I'd lean more towards it being a military exposure.  No execeptions, outside of any obvious physical/mental disabilities
"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -- Aristotle

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2006, 03:44:26 AM »
My Father was a member of the CCC in the late Thirtys .

That organisation worked well , got a lot done , produced some good training and highly needed paychecks.

But in those days Labor was a real bargan , these days you can't get a burger flipper by offering minimum wage.

Would a CCC be usefull now in times of Labor shortage?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2006, 09:16:56 AM »
Giving nutbars like Sockpuppet Juniorbush and Puppetmeister Cheney access to an unlimited number of troops frightens me.

If there had been no draft in 1965, there would have been no Vietnam War.

BAD idea!

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

_JS

• Salaires legers. Chars lourds.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2006, 09:40:10 AM »
There are always exceptions.

The military does not want to deal with insulin shock or schizophrenic episodes on the battlefield. They do not want to have to handle a manic episode or those who have a congenital heart problem.

I know, someone already mentioned mental or physical illness.

Therein lies the problem. Now the wealthiest citizens already have a way out for their children. And, since there are already some exemptions the lobbying groups with top notch lawyers who can wine and dine lawmakers at the best restaurants in Washington D.C. will try and get their pet issues on the exemption list. They might even start the conversation with..."Senator McAdoo, you have a son don't you? Well, as you know the current President has been terribly hostile towards Podunkistan..."

The same thing happens whenever a state tries to start making pieces of their sales tax exempt. You've never lived until you've heard legislators argue over whether beef jerky is a food, or does chocolate milk count as milk.

Sorry folks, I just don't see it. I think Rangel is being an idiot.
I smell something burning, hope it's just my brains.
They're only dropping peppermints and daisy-chains
   So stuff my nose with garlic
   Coat my eyes with butter
   Fill my ears with silver
   Stick my legs in plaster
   Tell me lies about Vietnam.

hnumpah

• You have another think coming. Use it.
    • View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2006, 09:50:06 PM »
"I love WikiLeaks." - Donald Trump, October 2016

Lanya

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2006, 11:46:10 PM »
 U.S. Marine Corps Asks Republican soon-to-be-Ex-Staffers The Question: Will You Be A Man! Enlist!?

Republican staffers, a new career awaits

Dear Republican staffer-

As you know, the last election cycle has left many of you looking for employment.

We are hiring.

We know many of you are patriotic Americans who long to serve their country, and take great pride in the country and it's ideals.

I'll be honest, we need more Marines.

We need the kind of men and women who want to serve this country, and often face danger.

Having served the Congress, you know the peril we face. Without your help, all of our work and effort in the war on terror may come to naught.

We need you to join the fight. Anyone between 17-35 can enlist in the Marines, although we prefer enlistees by 27 or 28. We will consider older candidates.

Those interested can get more information at www.marines.com

We have information on becoming a commissioned officer for college graduates. The Marines need new, dedicated officers like you.

We hope you consider joining the Marine Corps as your next career option.

Semper Fi,

Col. D. Michael Clayburn

Recruiting, USMC

Pass along to your friends.
http://operationyellowelephant.blogspot.com/2006/11/us-marine-corps-asks-republican-soon.html
Planned Parenthood is America’s most trusted provider of reproductive health care.

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2006, 09:37:17 PM »
« Last Edit: November 29, 2006, 09:47:21 PM by Plane »

The_Professor

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2006, 10:48:06 PM »
I have always been in favor of universal male conscription to military service, along the Swiss model: if you can be trusted to be a citizen you should have the privilege of being armed with a modern military weapon -- and it is a privilege that cannot be refused. Refuse the privilege and get a US passport valid for all countries but the US.

Won't happen, of course.

The value of universal military service is not so much the militia, though, as the social conditioning. Basic training with randomly assigned companies not based on social class or race or anything else is excellent socialization for young people.