Author Topic: Good Question Walter Pincus  (Read 747 times)

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Good Question Walter Pincus
« on: August 30, 2014, 07:04:15 PM »
http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/nuclear-weapons-just-dont-make-sense/2012/05/23/gJQAeADolU_story.html

What are the circumstances that would lead us to use Atomic bombs?

What are the potential targets?

This is expensive to maintain , is it really useless except that its existence is deterrent?

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
Re: Good Question Walter Pincus
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2014, 10:46:50 PM »
It certainly makes no sense the the US to store nukes in  Turkey if it cannot fly them out.

I always thought that the main point was that the US cannot win a land war in Asia, as the Chinese have many, many more troops than the US could ever have. The only way to defeat the would be with nukes. I do not think that the Chinese are any serious threat to the US. They want to sell us stuff. We have bankrolled the fastest modernization in human history: highways, auto factories, electric plants, railways and all that were paid for from profits made by selling us shoes, clothes, electronics and all sorts of other stuff.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."

Plane

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2014, 11:25:41 PM »
   I hope we would not destroy the Army of China without a very good reason, and how does a reason get that good?

I might owe my existence to the Hiroshima bombing. My Father was on a ship on its way to Japan when the war ended , he and the rest of the Navy was prepared for a very hard fight. 

Xavier_Onassis

• View Profile
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2014, 12:33:45 AM »
My Uncle Wyatt was waiting in Hawaii for a year for that invasion, and they kept him there for two years after that. He was trapped in Honolulu with no money. He got a couple of really ugly tattoos and blamed President Truman for his bad fortune for the rest of his life.

He made some investments in land in Tarzana, CA and became a millionaire, but he really really loved to complain.
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."